Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, Marriott AMB/LTT, Hyatt EX, HH Dia, Ntl EEE
I was going to start a post on this topic but I did a search first.

This is still happening as of last Friday and Sunday.

Last Friday there were three empty seats in FC the FA called three people up after the doors were closed at then sent one of them back telling the other FA that he (the military gy looked good in his uniform) for some reason that I don't know the seat flew empty. Maybe he deciined when asked. I've had a soldier decline before when I told an FA that I would like to switch seats.

Sunday there were 16 people on the UG list and the FA brought one of the two military men up for the one FC seat that was left.

I didn't read every post on this issue but I havve given up my seat a few times before and it should be up to you to give up your seat not the GA or FA. We all watch the screens and know where we stand on the list.

Ron
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier
Although just a lowly FO, as a 2xOEF prior enlisted active duty officer, I chuckle when sitting back in coach and the F cabin includes a few uniformed military (almost always Army). While the policy both rewards soldiers, and provides an extra sense of security/deterrence, Medallions earned the opportunity for upgrades and, IMO, should be rewarded first. Seeing Medallions skipped in favor of upgraded uniformed military leaves me with a sort of bad, totalitarian-regime, rewarded for "serving the party" feeling.

Military upgrades, uniformed or not, should be last priority.

I've scored one military upgrade, CVG-FRA. The three pilots approached me in the gate area after seeing my helmet bag (back to Germany after Red Flag and some leave). We talked for a few minutes about the AF, flying, etc... Besides all being current or previous AF pilots, it turned out we were also all Academy grads. After taking my seat in Y, a FA approached me and asked, "Sir, will you follow me? The Capt would like to re-seat you." It was nice arriving in Europe with some quality sleep.

Last week, my brother-in-law, an AF F-16 pilot in Japan, scored a military upgrade NRT-DFW. His seat was in row 1 of the 777. It doesn't get any better than that.

Last edited by Pigeye01; Jun 17, 2010 at 8:27 pm
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Rondelltg
This is still happening as of last Friday and Sunday.

Last Friday there were three empty seats in FC the FA called three people up after the doors were closed at then sent one of them back telling the other FA that he (the military gy looked good in his uniform) for some reason that I don't know the seat flew empty. Maybe he deciined when asked. I've had a soldier decline before when I told an FA that I would like to switch seats.

Sunday there were 16 people on the UG list and the FA brought one of the two military men up for the one FC seat that was left.

I didn't read every post on this issue but I havve given up my seat a few times before and it should be up to you to give up your seat not the GA or FA. We all watch the screens and know where we stand on the list.

Ron
Please bring this to the attention of Delta corporate - although it's beyond belief that it's still going on - meaning, if they gave a damn, they would have stopped it already along with the rest of the upgrade shenanigans.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I personally support the military, however, as stated in a previous posts, that is "fatherland party mentality". If a business offers a discount, great! If the people who have earned the upgrades have all been upgraded and there are still seats, upgrade them. If an upgraded passenger wants to relenquish his seat to a soldier, that is fine also. But an FA or GA should NOT be upgrading any military over and without regard to the upgrade list!!! No NO NO!!!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:03 pm

Military up front where they belong

Don't always jump to conclusions regarding military in the front cabin. I routinely get on early, stow my bag, and then relinquish my seat to someone in uniform. This is one of the ways that I can honor their service to us.

When I give my upgrade to the military, no one else (even if she/he was next up on the upgrade list) should jump to a conclusion that DL gave her/his upgrade away. When I elect to trade places, someone in the military won my seat lottery.

Going into ATL, when their next hop is in a chartered sardine can to a staging area across the pond, it is a civilized treat for them and is always appreciated. Invariably, as was the case from CLT to ATL yesterday (all of a 35 minute flight), they wait for me to deplane to say thank you; I, in turn, am only too happy to thank them for what they do for us.

I just don't understand why more of us do not elect to do the same for them. I know that it takes considerable effort to get status and, with it, a sense of entitlement. I look forward to a day for a single flight when every seat up front is occupied by the military in uniform.

Just a thought . . .
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by BravoZulu
Don't always jump to conclusions regarding military in the front cabin. I routinely get on early, stow my bag, and then relinquish my seat to someone in uniform. This is one of the ways that I can honor their service to us.

When I give my upgrade to the military, no one else (even if she/he was next up on the upgrade list) should jump to a conclusion that DL gave her/his upgrade away. When I elect to trade places, someone in the military won my seat lottery.

Going into ATL, when their next hop is in a chartered sardine can to a staging area across the pond, it is a civilized treat for them and is always appreciated. Invariably, as was the case from CLT to ATL yesterday (all of a 35 minute flight), they wait for me to deplane to say thank you; I, in turn, am only too happy to thank them for what they do for us.

I just don't understand why more of us do not elect to do the same for them. I know that it takes considerable effort to get status and, with it, a sense of entitlement. I look forward to a day for a single flight when every seat up front is occupied by the military in uniform.

Just a thought . . .
^ +1
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:52 pm

Just a thought . . .

I have offerred the same in the past and not one should have a problem with this. However, no medallion who earned their upgrade should feel pressured to do the same.

I will also add that DL gets a lot of business from US military and related entities. I know several ex-army now civillian contractors who fly on army business regularly and it is an exception to use anything but DL. So there may also be a corporate push to treat this large customer well.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Just a thought . . .
How about Doctors, Paramedics, Firemen, school teachers? Don't they all provide a valuable service to our society?

If you want to give up your seat, that's your prerogative - however, technically, if you don't want the F seat, it should be going to the next person on the upgrade list, not a total stranger you decide to upgrade. It's not like two travel companions switching seats.

No one should be pressured to give their seat to the military traveler - and we have incidents of DL staff doing just that, or simply ignoring the upgrade list and doing it on their own.

None of that is acceptable.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Agent refusing to waive checked bag fee to military traveler on orders

Just returned from a conference in Rochester, MN with a group of fellow military members, traveling on TDY orders. Delta agent at MSP refused to waive the checked baggage fee for one of them(an Army Major), even after being shown orders, stating that she knew that military members on leisure travel forged orders by changing the date. It took some convincing, but she finally conceded. There may be some bad apple out there, but a ticket agent should not have the right to decide to change Delta's policy on her own.

Last edited by hull22; Oct 4, 2010 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by hull22
Just returned from a conference in Rochester, MN with a group of fellow military members, traveling on TDY orders. Delta agent refused to waive the checked baggage fee for one of them(an Army Major), even after being shown orders, stating that she knew that military members on leisure travel forged orders by changing the date. It took some convincing, but she finally conceded. There may be some bad apple out there, but a ticket agent should not have the right to decide to change Delta's policy on her own.
She didn't change policy, she didn't understand the policy.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by channa
She didn't change policy, she didn't understand the policy.
Huh? It sounds like she was implying the passenger was forging a document to avoid baggage fees. Not really changing the policy, but being the policy police. I would have asked for a supervisor.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by fti
Huh? It sounds like she was implying the passenger was forging a document to avoid baggage fees. Not really changing the policy, but being the policy police. I would have asked for a supervisor.
it almost came to that. One of the other guys wanted to say "fine, charge the fee, then you'll end up paying for it when the gov't reimburses the baggage fee"
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL GE
I can not for the life of me understand why people take things like this so seriously. If I was a desk agent I wouldn't spend my time wrecking peoples lives with a fee that does nothing for me whatsoever. Who is she to care that people forge their documents?! How do people even get into this mental state? Spite? Hatred?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fti
You're right. I misread the post.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:48 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by pragakhan
How do people even get into this mental state? Spite? Hatred?
I think some people are just control freak types. I worked with one for a year. Very easy to understand once you have to deal with them on a regular basis!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.