Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Lifetime Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Army Combat Uniform (ACU) on commercial flights

I'm a pilot for a major airline and a pilot in the Air Force (Air National Guard). I rarely non-rev but buy tickets for personal travel 99 percent of the time. I've been a Delta GM for several years now and appreciate the complimentary upgrades whenever I get one. I have the following observations about the upgrading of military personnel. Most military in uniform are Army and wearing the ACU (formerly BDU). I rarely see USN, USMC, USAF or USCG in uniform at the airport. I'm a veteran of Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Bosnia, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan). I've been in combat as recently as July 08. I've never worn a military uniform on a commercial flight in 22 years of service nor ever been upgraded for being "military." Most of these military members are not traveling to/from combat or on R&R but traveling for a school or conference. Regardless, there is nothing wrong with upgrading them for their service so long as the carriers' rules for upgrading are followed first. However, I agree that upgrading them simply because they choose to travel in their ACU's shouldn't be automatic.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Originally Posted by samikitty
Dear Mr. Spiff,

Thank you for your e-mail describing the inconvenience you experienced due to flight upgrade irregularities.

I'm sorry we could not confirm your upgrade at this time. We monitor every flight carefully to ensure upgrades are provided to our most loyal members. At the same time, we need to be sure that other customers are well positioned to purchase these premium seats in order to maintain a financially viable airline.

Again, thank you for writing. Please accept our apology for the circumstances you described. Your comments are appreciated since this is one of the best ways we have of knowing which areas need additional attention. We hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of choice.

Sincerely,
Pat Riot
Delta Customer Care
Am I the only one who noticed this particular agent's "name?"
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:12 pm

Some of you people are so arrogant and smug. You think your so special because you fly a lot and are a medallion. Big deal. When was the last time you traveled into a war zone and put your life on the line? When was the last time you fought for your country? Take a reality check and realize there are more important things going on in the world right now then your complimentary upgrades. If you fully pay for your F seat, then you are entitled to it, but when it comes to complimentary upgrades military personnel should be first on the list. Its one of the few things we can do to thank those who fight for our freedom. In terms of loyalty, I'm sure the airline cares a lot more about the people who are keeping this country safe than they do about someone who will make a nasty comment on flyertalk if they don't get there precious F seat.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by M11Stephen
Some of you people are so arrogant and smug. You think your so special because you fly a lot and are a medallion. Big deal. When was the last time you traveled into a war zone and put your life on the line? When was the last time you fought for your country? Take a reality check and realize there are more important things going on in the world right now then your complimentary upgrades. If you fully pay for your F seat, then you are entitled to it, but when it comes to complimentary upgrades military personnel should be first on the list. Its one of the few things we can do to thank those who fight for our freedom. In terms of loyalty, I'm sure the airline cares a lot more about the people who are keeping this country safe than they do about someone who will make a nasty comment on flyertalk if they don't get there precious F seat.
Actually, I'll bet the airline cares more about the Medallion. The Medallion makes them more money. It's the GAs and FAs who override the business decisions of the company in order to uphold their own convictions about who should get unoccupied FC seats.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:28 pm

I would love nothing more than for DL to upgrade military personnel in uniform before Medallions. Then I would know not to fly DL.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by abefroman329
I would love nothing more than for DL to upgrade military personnel in uniform before Medallions. Then I would know not to fly DL.
So your saying your more important than a soldier who just came back from Iraq fighting for you and your family? The arrogance of some of the people in this forum is really making the quote, "America isn't at war, America is at the mall, the U.S. Military is at war." make more sense.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
So your saying your more important than a soldier who just came back from Iraq fighting for you and your family? The arrogance of some of the people in this forum is really making the quote, "America isn't at war, America is at the mall, the U.S. Military is at war." make more sense.
First, just because someone is in uniform does not mean they are coming back from Iraq. Second, the military is a job that someone volunteers for; they are not being forced into service. Third, they are not fighting for me and my family. They are fighting for George Bush and his family but that is a whole other discussion.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by res1968
First, just because someone is in uniform does not mean they are coming back from Iraq. Second, the military is a job that someone volunteers for; they are not being forced into service. Third, they are not fighting for me and my family. They are fighting for George Bush and his family but that is a whole other discussion.
^

Anyone who enlisted in the military expecting unlimited upgrades on commercial flights probably enlisted for all the wrong reasons.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:09 pm

And no, I'm not saying that I'm more important than anyone.

Though knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" is pretty cool.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I think a little time out is in order. Will reopen the thread in about 24 hours.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by skchin
I personally experienced 2 weeks ago on my ATL-LAS flight in First, when a 21 year old solider in uniform heading back to his reserve unit was upgraded to first. The FA on duty asked if he would like any thing to drink. To my suprise, he ordered a coke and rum while in his uniform, then ordered a second alcoholic drink. I should have scared the crap out of him by asking for his chain of command.
Booooooooooooo Hissssssssssssssssss

Nothing better to do than bust the balls of someone having a drink or two just because they are in the military and traveling in uniform? Just because you are a taxpayer, doesn't mean you are entitled to act like their boss and be dismayed because they are having a drink or two.

I bet that this member of the military also knows how to spell "SURPRISE" properly as well.

Originally Posted by motytrah
If one feels strongly that military should get upgraded they're certainly free to companion upgrade them.
How many people here actually do that?

I would if I was in the position to do so.

How many actually offer to let a military member use of a cellphone when they are trying to use a pay phone in the terminal waiting for a flight? That would mean a whole lot to someone in uniform.

Please explaine then, when does military personel in uniform allowed to while on "duty"? I guess birthday party, wedding, or retirement can be a special circumstances allowed, but what about on "duty" while flying in commercial air or other public venues?
Why does it actually matter as to when military personnel are and not allowed to drink while in their uniform to you?

Is it because you think they are doing something wrong and just want to get them in trouble? Or is there any other underlying reasons we should know?

Originally Posted by padirescu
I love people who try to twist things into what they aren't. Simply put, serving your country as a military member is in a different dare I say "class" then the other professions you mention.
The pay is a LOTTTTTTT less than most civilian jobs. If you actually figure actual hours vs the salary, in a lot of cases it will fall below minimum hourly wage requirements.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 14, 2009 at 12:58 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: 1 MM Skymiles,Marriott GLD
Hi Everyone,
Each person has their own rules, but as I guide I look for the following:
1. Bronze, Silver or Other Awards
2. for Army:
EIB(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CombatInfantry.gif)
Please look on this page for other awards such as combat medical and combat action:
Patch on Right Shoulder (For division) signifies wartime service
3. For USAF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ai..._Medal_set.jpg
4. For Marines and Navy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...ion_Ribbon.svg

Based upon the above I will invite the soldier/Marine/sailor/airman to CRC(Usually bring in the max of 3) and Possibly exchange my upgrade(twice so far).
Depends if we are heading into the same direction

True E1-E5's don't make that much but as my brother in law loves to point out as an E-8 his 500K house is more than my lowly 250K house.
VS
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
As a brother of an active military personel, I've heard that many enlisted soliders will travel in military uniform when they are not authorized to do so. For instance, if they are on leave (vacation), not on way to their duty post - they are not authorized to wear uniform and told to stay low profile and blend in with the general public when traveling.
He may have been told this, but Soldiers Army wide are encouraged to travel in uniform, to better tell the Army story.

I choose not to, because I don't want to stand out, just in case mind you....
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Honestly, I don't know what's worse - Delta personnel making up their own rules according to personal preference/ignorance or the claims by some that it's somehow our patriotic duty to let a certain class of people receive frequent flier benefits because of their job.

I think this behavior is not going to stop until a bunch of you DL FF folks pen a rather terse note to the appropriate DL VP and Fedex it directly to their office with a demand that this practice cease immediately and all DL GA and FA staff be brought back in line with company standards and policies. Period. It isn't going to get resolved by sending customer service notes to a contracted worker in India named Bob Smith who can hardly remember the name of the airline they're representing. You have three distinct issues that need to be addressed directly - the unauthorized upgrading of military personnel ahead of or in place of otherwise eligible customers, the upgrading of paid upgrades ahead of Elites, and the sloppy or downright deliberate mishandling of the upgrade/standby list due to laziness or an interest in upgrading key persons.

As far as you military entitlement folks - if you want to give up YOUR upgrade or paid F seat to military person then YOU go right ahead and do so - don't be thinking you can take MY F seat and award it to someone you think is great because of a uniform.

I have used my Plat companion privileges on CO to upgrade military people - but ONLY when I've verified with the GA (or now via the PDA site) that no one is still on the list waiting for an upgrade. I will NOT take the upgrade away from a Gold, Silver or companion just because I think it's a nice gesture. FWIW, I've also upgraded a couple regular folks who were flying with a Silver elite who couldn't upgrade them as companions - but ONLY when no one else was on the list, and the seats would otherwise go empty.

The military is all volunteer - for some to think that we owe military folks our F seat, exit row, entrance to club or whatever travel or non-travel related benefit is out there to be nice or show sympathy because they went to Afghanistan or Iraq, give me a break. If you don't want to go to Iraq or Afghanistan or any other global hotpoint, the solution is simple. Don't join the military. If you feel the need to take care of military people, then YOU go ahead and give them YOUR F seat, buy them flowers, take them for dinner, give them a hug or whatever.

[omni_post]Personally, the greatest gift we can give all of them is to bring them home and keep them here, then overhaul the VA to take proper care of the injured and sick.[/omni_post]
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Threads on military upgrades never end well. I'm surprised this one has lasted so long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.