Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by J-M
This is factually incorrect, at least from the standpoint of FAA regulations.
They are correct, though its not a FAA rule. Though I couldn't really see it ever enforced. Same with the drinking.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by J-M
I know you enjoy being obnoxious
Pot calling the kettle black?

Originally Posted by J-M
These are great gestures by the people giving up seats
They would be great gestures if the people didn't feel compelled to brag about their patriotism and generosity on an Internet bulletin board. My belief is that most people who do this (there are exceptions, of course) do so more to make themselves feel good at little cost and pat themselves on the back than for any other reason.

BTW, ever notice how not too many brag about having given up their personally paid FC seats to soldiers?

And finally, soldiers are being paid to do a job, just like firefighters and cops. They accepted the job voluntarily. If you want to put them on a special pedestal, that's your business. If your action makes you feel good, that's wonderful. I just don't see the point in these periodic self-congratulatory posts.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
They would be great gestures if the people didn't feel compelled to brag about their patriotism and generosity on an Internet bulletin board. My belief is that most people who do this (there are exceptions, of course) do so more to make themselves feel good at little cost and pat themselves on the back than for any other reason.

BTW, ever notice how not too many brag about having given up their personally paid FC seats to soldiers?

And finally, soldiers are being paid to do a job, just like firefighters and cops. They accepted the job voluntarily. If you want to put them on a special pedestal, that's your business. If your action makes you feel good, that's wonderful. I just don't see the point in these periodic self-congratulatory posts.
Well put.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:17 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
I always give up my first class seat for ACLU lawyers (can usually recognize them from the ponytails).
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, please stop all of these personal remarks immediately!

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:25 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I think it's very generous for folks to give up their first class upgrades to service personnel, and I really respect everyone who does that.

On the other hand, I think it greatly cheapens the gesture when people make a point out of publicizing their generosity. To me, it seems like they're trying to say "See, I'm a better American/person than you because I 'support the troops'".

Personally, I think the classy thing to do would be to simply and very discreetly give up the first class seat without announcing it across the intertubes and take quiet, private, personal satisfaction in the act.

personal side note - if people really 'support the troops', why not fight to get them out of harms way? Or at least demand that they immediately receive the best armament and most secure vehicles possible? I suspect a soldier in combat would much prefer functional body armor to a First Class seat.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jimrpa
On the other hand, I think it greatly cheapens the gesture when people make a point out of publicizing their generosity.
i'm not sure if the original poster (OP) was looking for a pat on the or suggesting that others do it. if it is the latter, than the post is appropriate.

i wonder what the NY Times ethicist would say?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Smile

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i'm not sure if the original poster (OP) was looking for a pat on the or suggesting that others do it. if it is the latter, than the post is appropriate.

i wonder what the NY Times ethicist would say?
WOW... I am original poster and I can tell you that I absolutely wasn't bragging or wanting any special recognition at all. I was simply asking if anyone else had done this on a regular basis. I have actually had a few other FC flyers do it at the same time when I did it.

I realize that the idea isn't orginial. I have a friend who was deployed to IRAQ, and he told me that someone did this for him, and how much he appreciated it. So, as noted, I am not the first, but happy to do it. Just a simple suggestion -- that's all. If you don't feel compelled to do it, or don't agree with it, that's fine... but don't assume that I am grandstanding at all here, that wasn't even close to my intent.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta DM
there are many many many many many closed threads about this one which I started a while back that I can think of Points are still valid which were made in that one. Front of the line

more to it: More
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: Skyteam
Would you give up your JFK-SEA/LAX/SFO for a soldier?

Personally, I've been looking for an opportunity to give up my seat for a service person but, they always seem to travel in pairs.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Ask not what your country can do for you, ask if you can give up 4 or 5 inches of pitch from Atlanta to Little Rock (and a free drink).
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks,
Threads of this nature always go off topic and become political and personal in nature. As we have covered this topic several times before, I see no need to continue this discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Lifetime Gold/SPG Platinum 100
Delta FAs, seats in first, and military in uniform

I'm not really surprised at this behavior, but I wanted to see what everyone's opinions were.

Recently on a flight ATL-SFO, later in the evening but certainly not redeye, sat in first (upgraded). Saw three active duty military (in uniform) get on the plane for SFO, seated in coach. I was surprised to also see three Delta FAs (in uniform) sitting in first. When we landed in SFO, DL flight leader asked everyone to let the military pax off first. This is standard in my opinion and makes sense, but I was surprised the FAs did not sit in coach and let the military folks sit in first. What are your thoughts? Is there some official delta policy against this?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum : LH FF : BA Silver : AA Gold : AVIS First : Hilton Silver
Why should military sit in First?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:40 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by acf69
Why should military sit in First?
Do you really want to open that can of worms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.