Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
As I head back into the classroom from a restful two weeks of lesson planning, research, and preparation, I have to say thank you to all those appreciating teachers.

This will make for great conversation around the copy machine "hey, did you know that people actually DO notice us?"^
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by asnovici
Why??? Where are the allocated seats for firefighters? Where are the alloocated seats for police officers? Where are the allocated seats for teachers? Would you suggest that thier contributions and sacrifices to the country and our communitis are less then soldiers' somehow? Is this a communist country and DL is a state-run airline? In USSR they DID have allocated seats for military personnel on airplanes, on Aeroflot, when it was state-run.
I agree. Where do draw the line? Which professions deserve our thanks? What about child welfare workers? Or domestic abuse hotline operators? Or clergy? Or preschool teachers? Etc.

There are lots of demanding and life-threatening jobs out there (several TV shows are devoted entirely to this topic), not just the military. While service to one's country is noble and we all support the troops, rules are rules and should be followed. Pax voluntarily providing perks to military servicemen and women is a completely acceptable way of handling this. GA could even ask u/g pax if they want to voluntarily give their seat to a military member. This would take away the "power" the GA has.

As an aside: I have a small business offering computer classes for kids and I live in a big military area (a navy base and an AF base within 20 miles of me). I advertise a 10% discount to military/police/EMS/fire, but then wonder where do I draw the line? Is it like housing loans that the gov't offers? Nurses and teachers, along with all public service and military professions get included? sigh... Nothing's easy...
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by padirescu
While I will not debate whether or not the service member you refer to in your post was authorized to be traveling in uniform (there are a hundreds of regulations allowing or disallowing this), I am rather offended by your implication that a service member is not authorized to consume alcoholic beverages while in uniform! Just because a service member is in uniform does NOT mean they are actually "on duty". A perfect example of this is the Marine Corps Birthday which is celebrated every November 10th since 1775. Marines celebrate this event in various methods but most attend sponsored Birthday Balls where alcohol is provided and Marines wear their dress uniforms.

Also I would guess that your brother is probably an officer simply by the wording of your message and the fact that you would "scare the crap out of him by asking for his chain of command." First off, as a former enlisted Marine, I would have laughed at any "civilian" asking for information on my chain of command for this purpose as quite frankly it's non of your damn business to pry into whether I'm authorized to drink while in uniform. If you would like to make it your business then in the great words of Jack Nicholson, "I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post".

Please explaine then, when does military personel in uniform allowed to while on "duty"? I guess birthday party, wedding, or retirement can be a special circumstances allowed, but what about on "duty" while flying in commercial air or other public venues?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I highly encourage you to write up any GA who processes:

• Complimentary military upgrades
  • SBUP (paid upgrades, not fare difference upgrades)
  • Non-rev upgrades
  • Arbitrary upgrades to make their job easier

ahead of any Medallion upgrades. Hopefully such rogue/lazy GAs will be severely punished for such actions.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
This thread keeps re-emerging on various airline's forums here on FT.

My opnion is why should a soldier be upgraded and not a firefighter or a teacher or a policeman or a ... etc? All these individuals signed up for their jobs and without knowing what the soldier does in the army one can arguably say that there are other civilian profissions that can be equally or even more dangerous and demanding.

Not only I would not support giving my FC seat I paid for in full to a soldier, I would also not give out my upgraded FC seat either. Where does one draw a line on who is more worthy of an upgrade/FC seat, soldier, firefighter, a cop, etc... Would a teacher deserve that seat more? I certainly think so (for many reasons).
Bottomline is: GA's should follow the protocol for upgrades. If somebody wants to give up their seats to whoever they want (soldier, cop, the Pope), they are more then welcome to do it, but to EXPECT somebody to give up their seat is just plain wrong.
+1 ^

Exactly—those of us who want to show appreciation to the military by giving them our upgrades can do so. Those of us who want to give our upgrade to a human rights watch rapporteur returning from a mission can do so. Those of us who want to give their upgrade to an inner-city public school math teacher can do so.

And those who decide to keep an upgraded seat that they have paid for through loyalty in accordance with the airline's published rules can do so.

No profession has a monopoly on patriotism.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff

• Non-rev upgrades

ahead of any Medallion upgrades. Hopefully such rogue/lazy GAs will be severely punished for such actions.
I agree that writing (not emailing) DL is probably the best way to deal with this. and (obviously) encourage others to do the same, giving the name of the Gate Agent if possible.

As to the FA who said "But he's in the Army" I would have said "And this is MY boarding pass."

I have no issue with someone who choose to give an F seat to someone else -- no matter what their motivation is. That is their choice. But to simply take MY seat away? No.

As with any business, DL will listen to customers if they want to keep them.

Dave
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
Why??? Where are the allocated seats for firefighters? Where are the alloocated seats for police officers? Where are the allocated seats for teachers? Would you suggest that thier contributions and sacrifices to the country and our communitis are less then soldiers' somehow? Is this a communist country and DL is a state-run airline? In USSR they DID have allocated seats for military personnel on airplanes, on Aeroflot, when it was state-run.
I love people who try to twist things into what they aren't. Simply put, serving your country as a military member is in a different dare I say "class" then the other professions you mention. While I respect each of those professions, having a best friend who retired from the Marines recently and is now a Sheriff he would be the first to tell you that the two professions are miles apart. First, police officers have the luxury of walking away from their duties whenever they want. You know what can happen to a military member who does that during a time of war? Second, there are so many more ancillary duties that come with being a service member that are not experienced by the other professions you reference. There is no mandatory physical fitness training at 5am, there isn't a weekly / monthly requirement to stand guard duty on an empty building for 24 hours. These are just a few examples of the differences from these other professions not to mention the mental trauma of being in harms way 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Cops, firefighters and teachers don't have to worry about being bombed or ambushed at night while they sleep.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
You know what can happen to a military member who does that during a time of war?

Cops, firefighters and teachers don't have to worry about being bombed or ambushed at night while they sleep.
OK, I'm going to get on a soap box about this.

One, would you pls reference the war we are fighting? I agree to armed combat, but remember, ONLY Congress can declare war. Which it has not done since the end of WW II.

Second, enlistment is (currently) voluntary.

Third, have you been to the inter-city lately?

Fourth, the VAST majority of the military DOES NOT serve in a combat zone. However, EVERY cop does EVERY DAY.

But, back onto the topic, the fact of being in the military simply does not deserve upgrade. If DL is going to publish upgrade rules, further the contract in many military fares prohibts upgrades, it is inappropriate for a gate agent to upgrade a NON upgrade fare over a medallion member.

Dave
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I love people who try to twist things into what they aren't.
That would be precisely what you are doing.

First, police officers have the luxury of walking away from their duties whenever they want.
Absolutely not true. A police officer is not just going to walk away from a persuit of a criminal (for instance) just because he doesn't feel like doing so.

Second, there are so many more ancillary duties that come with being a service member that are not experienced by the other professions you reference. There is no mandatory physical fitness training at 5am, there isn't a weekly / monthly requirement to stand guard duty on an empty building for 24 hours
Does the physical fitness training qualify soldiers as better people? Or is it their ability to stand still for extended periods of time? Is that why they deserve FC seats more then teachers or human rights activists or nurses?

These are just a few examples of the differences from these other professions not to mention the mental trauma of being in harms way 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Cops, firefighters and teachers don't have to worry about being bombed or ambushed at night while they sleep
You don't think firefighetrs or cops or inter city teachers have mental trauma in their line of work? I am not going into often gory details of some of the professions I mentioned before (not soldiers), but I think one can safely say that every one of the jobs listed above experience mental trauma. Soldiers signed up for a job to do, getting paid for it, knew what they are getting into, why should they have more priviledges then others? This is the kind of pseudo-patriotism that is so mind numbing it held this country hostage for the past 8 years.

Last edited by asnovici; Jan 5, 2009 at 9:31 am
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Originally Posted by Spiff

• Non-rev upgrades

Dear Mr. Spiff,

Thank you for your e-mail describing the inconvenience you experienced due to flight upgrade irregularities.

I'm sorry we could not confirm your upgrade at this time. We monitor every flight carefully to ensure upgrades are provided to our most loyal members. At the same time, we need to be sure that other customers are well positioned to purchase these premium seats in order to maintain a financially viable airline.

Again, thank you for writing. Please accept our apology for the circumstances you described. Your comments are appreciated since this is one of the best ways we have of knowing which areas need additional attention. We hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of choice.

Sincerely,
Pat Riot
Delta Customer Care
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Davescj
As to the FA who said "But he's in the Army" I would have said "And this is MY boarding pass."
I would have shown the FA my B/P then clearly stated "Oh, so are you involuntarily denying me boarding? I will be happy to return the GA and collect the IDB funds."
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I'm a military retiree and think DL should just follow the upgrade rules they have laid down. No, I don't think any FC seats should be set aside for military people to be upgraded. If someone wants to give them their seat then that is their choice. If a GA wants to give a soldier/sailor/airman a FC seat after all the rules have been followed, they should certainly have that flexibility.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: DL SM Plat
I recently witnessed this, and a friend guided me towards this thread and I had to comment.

There were five people on the upgrade standby list, and two empties in F. The FA thought it would be such a great thing to do for the two traveling military on board. She made a production about it having any active military ring their call button.

Take a look at her performance here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl0XLKnOqSY

I have great respect for our soldiers, I send lots of care packages to family and friends serving overseas. I think it's a great testament to our soldiers that DL is able to safely fly US flagged commercial flights over places like Iraq and Iran to destinations like Dubai. I have no problem with upgrading traveling soldiers, in fact, I'd have gladly given up the F seat for them, and in fact I took the empty row the sailor left after asking another FA. Though for the five revenue passengers on the standby list, that's just not right. Military people, more than anyone, can appreciate policy and procedure.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Originally Posted by deltalinaluvr
I recently witnessed this, and a friend guided me towards this thread and I had to comment.

There were five people on the upgrade standby list, and two empties in F. The FA thought it would be such a great thing to do for the two traveling military on board. She made a production about it having any active military ring their call button.

Take a look at her performance here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl0XLKnOqSY

I have great respect for our soldiers, I send lots of care packages to family and friends serving overseas. I think it's a great testament to our soldiers that DL is able to safely fly US flagged commercial flights over places like Iraq and Iran to destinations like Dubai. I have no problem with upgrading traveling soldiers, in fact, I'd have gladly given up the F seat for them, and in fact I took the empty row the sailor left after asking another FA. Though for the five revenue passengers on the standby list, that's just not right. Military people, more than anyone, can appreciate policy and procedure.
Actually, I think this is more of a GA problem, not an FA problem. The GA should have cleared the upgrades before boarding. As far as I understand it, if you board the plane you are accepting your seat assignment, and will be removed from the upgrade list. Now, we all know that sometimes the FA or GA will come in and upgrade the people from the upgrade list, but I don't think this is not required by procedure.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 8:47 am

Companion upgrades have to be the biggest joke when it comes to upgrade likelihood. First, the companion have to be on the exact same itinerary which presents an issue when the military member and the person requesting the companion upgrade are making different connections. Second, the upgrade status for both the companion and the medallion member requesting it is the lower of the two travelers (i.e. if the companion has no status both are put at the bottom of the list).
Sorry to hear that's how DL does it. I'm coming from the WP system, which is a bit less restrictive with the BF Companion U/G.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.