Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Every since 4 months after the deployment of our military to Afghanistan. Our mission group has been sending care kits to the military. We have asked for various donations from different companies to send to them as well. I will tell you the one that stands out the most is Blistex who sent a large quantity to provide to the soldiers. I have also offered to take them into the crc. They did not ask for it, I just felt gracious.

I do however, have to agree with other posters here that for DL to give a seat to someone other than the ones that have earned it is wrong. A. Paid, B. Upgraded by FF status, C. Employee. And in that order is the way it should be done. Now after all of that if there are still seats left and the a/c door is closed, let the FA move them up if they like. I can't say that it is right but that is the only time it should be done. They did volunteer and have not asked for an upgrade.

When I was in the military, I appreciated the discount that I got on the airline ticket and that was all that I expected. No one ever offered me their seat. I would probably have said thank you and declined back then, can't say for sure, but no one ever did it.

This makes me think of restaurant discounts. Some restaurants give a Police Discount (I agree with this, if they are in uniform, it is a little bit of crime prevention), Senior, student, military, fireman, postal worker, child, etc... What I see is that the only ones paying full price are your average 21 to 55 year olds doing an average job.

If I want to pay for someones meal or provide some benefit of mine (as long as it does not put any one else out) then that is up to me, not DL.

What would be fair is doing away with all discounts and charge everyone fairly. No upgrades unless you either paid for it in advance or got upgraded according to your status. If there were still available seats why not upgrade the companions of the ff status person and then if seats are still available and the a/c is about to leave, move a soldier up to first that is being deployed.

While your at it move the mother with the screaming, kicking child to the back.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
People with entitlement attitudes do put you off though and I understand that. We also provide toys for kids at Christmas. It never fails that you have about 25% complain about what you are giving them for their kids and state "I didn't order that". Some demand more and what really burns is when you are down at Wal-Mart later that night and you see them returning those bicycles and other toys that your organization gave them for their children, and getting cash to obviously go buy drugs. Makes it hard to do it and makes you just want to say "everyone for themself". But then there are the ones that really appreciate the help and have fell on hard times through no fault of their own.

Unfortunately you help about 95% that really should be working in order to help that 5% that really need the help.

With that said, there are probably some that are abusing it, but there are some that are not. If the company does it (DL) then they will encourage more bad behaviour. If it is left up to the individuals our there to do what they will. It will not encourage them to wear a uniform in order to get a benefit.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by skchin
My brother, a Navy Petty Chief, overheard couple Army grunts talking about wearing uniform to obtain possible upgrade in BWI. I'm not sure what the situation was.
Fair enough. As I said, I'm just looking for data points, and this is certainly possbile.

Any data points specifically on Marines?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Casimir
Fair enough. As I said, I'm just looking for data points, and this is certainly possbile.

Any data points specifically on Marines?
Marines never do this, it's against their code of honor. It's only the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard who would do such thing
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Marines never do this, it's against their code of honor. It's only the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard who would do such thing
skchin, I have just one word for your post: INCOMING!!!!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Casimir
In many years of flying, I'm not sure I can recall ever seeing a Marine in uniform. If I have, they have been very few. I have seen many Army folks, a few Navy and Air Force personnel in uniform. I myself wore my dress greens when on official business, although that's over 20 years ago now. It never occurred to me that the uniform would get me something, but of course it's wrong to extrapolate my experience to an entire population.

I'm not denying it's possible -- just asking what the evidence is, specifically for Marines.

What a shame, I wouldn't mind seeing a few Marines in uniform around the airport from time to time
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by tonypct
skchin, I have just one word for your post: INCOMING!!!!
I'm naive, I dont' get it.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:53 am

So it flew right over your head?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
skchin, I certainly don't doubt your story, but if he's your brother you should know he is a Chief Petty Officer, not a Petty Chief. Although I did run across more than one Chief who was petty...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by dd992emo
skchin, I certainly don't doubt your story, but if he's your brother you should know he is a Chief Petty Officer, not a Petty Chief. Although I did run across more than one Chief who was petty...
The funny thing is, he wears the Chief uniform and the midshipmans think he is an officer and they stop and salute to him. Petty and Chief wear the commissioned officer uniform, but they aren't commissioned.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
The funny thing is, he wears the Chief uniform and the midshipmans think he is an officer and they stop and salute to him. Petty and Chief wear the commissioned officer uniform, but they aren't commissioned.
Never mind...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Any Mid who salutes someone with a big freaking Chief's anchor on their cover or collars is a frigging idiot. That said, it doesn't surprise me. Go Army, Beat Navy!
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3MM/FC Marriott Platinum
Is he a musician in the U.S. Naval Academy Band?

AG
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Did the OP arrive at the gate within the prescribed time frame (15 - 20 min before departure) or late? If the OP arrived late then the seat is up for grabs as I understand DL's rules.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Italy98
Did the OP arrive at the gate within the prescribed time frame (15 - 20 min before departure) or late? If the OP arrived late then the seat is up for grabs as I understand DL's rules.
Perhaps so - then the next person on the upgrade list should have received the seat, and not someone of the GA's personal choosing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.