Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
Why stop at military? Why not cops, firefighters, etc. too?
I wondered the same thing, and I would also add K-12 teachers to the list, but at the end of the day the amount of $ that the feds pay Delta for transport plays a significant role in how they treat uniformed soldiers.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WesNSpace
I will gladly give up my V class for a soldier.
You are exactly right, you would give up your seat. It is your personal decision, one that I respect. But it shouldn't be a FA that gives away your seat before even asking you.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by dagowolf
Have you seen what they get paid? A staff sgt with 6 years of experience has a base pay of under $34k. Compare that to the risk they take. Yes they volunteered. They volunteered to risk their lives to defend the United States.

A little treat of flying first class once in awhile is the least we can give them.
The pay isn't bad and don't forget no taxes when you're in Iraq, Pakistan, Afganistan and quite a few others.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
This translates to deserving the seat ahead of over 35 passengers who have, according to published terms of the program Delta uses to convince them to remain customers, reason to expect that they might be sitting up there if a seat becomes available? How, exactly?
Because terms and conditions are subject to modification at any time without prior notice to the member and at the discretion of the airline providing transportation.

Seriously, a FA/GA gave a first class seat to a member of our fighting forces. Have you considered that maybe that DL employee might have lost a friend or family member and this was their way of remembering that spirit? Perhaps that uniformed soldier was a National Guard soldier who is also a DL employee. In the end the flight took off and landed. People got off the plane and went about their day. In the grand scheme of things... WHO CARES?!

One soldier got to fly first class for her/his flight and some GM/PM/DM had to enjoy coach with the others. Don't like it? Next time buy a first class ticket and your problem is solved.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dagowolf
Seriously, a FA/GA gave a first class seat to a member of our fighting forces. Have you considered that maybe that DL employee might have lost a friend or family member and this was their way of remembering that spirit? Perhaps that uniformed soldier was a National Guard soldier who is also a DL employee. In the end the flight took off and landed. People got off the plane and went about their day. In the grand scheme of things... WHO CARES?!
Relevance to the SkyMiles program?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
This translates to deserving the seat ahead of over 35 passengers who have, according to published terms of the program Delta uses to convince them to remain customers, reason to expect that they might be sitting up there if a seat becomes available? How, exactly?

Wow, that seems a bit conceited...and I am a DM....if available, I do expect that DL will upgrade me. However, I'm probably not going to have a flamin' DYKWIA moment or "this is the policy" moment if they put a service person in "my" seat instead and I'm relegated to Y.

In the end, regardless of folks' politics or DL's policies on upgrades, the soldier sat up front for that 3 1/2 or so hours to ATL. They were presumably grateful and appreciated having their service recognized.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
I am a strong supporter of our military. I have nothing but good things to say about our individual soldiers. I think it is honorable to give up your seat for a member of the armed forces. I have done so in the past as many of you have. However, I want it to be MY decision. I earned the upgrade according to DL's rules so let me offer them MY upgrade. Having DL personnel do this FOR me is tantamount to the government taking part of my tax refund that I am entitled to and giving it to a charity that I may have given to had they not taken the money. Right outcome in this case, wrong process.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:21 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
For all those in support of the decision, would you be ok with amending the published upgrade priority list so that it goes something like this:

• (US?) Military (in uniform?)
  • DM Y fare AX reserve
  • Etc...

Or do you only support the upgrades in one-off circumstances where DL frontline employees are invited to use their judgment?

It is a serious question, not sarcastic.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ADLFO
I am a strong supporter of our military. I have nothing but good things to say about our individual soldiers. I think it is honorable to give up your seat for a member of the armed forces. I have done so in the past as many of you have. However, I want it to be MY decision. I earned the upgrade according to DL's rules so let me offer them MY upgrade. Having DL personnel do this FOR me is tantamount to the government taking part of my tax refund that I am entitled to and giving it to a charity that I may have given to had they not taken the money. Right outcome in this case, wrong process.
Exactly, well said ^
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
Relevance to the SkyMiles program?
As I said in that post as well...

Because terms and conditions are subject to modification at any time without prior notice to the member and at the discretion of the airline providing transportation.
Seriously. The GA/FA made a decision. It was one that you and BerlinFlyer don't like. Fine. Move on to the rest of your day. It wasn't fatal.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Originally Posted by berlinflyer
I was on LAX-ATL this week and while waiting for the boarding to start, I noticed that the UG list had over 35 medallion members waiting for an U/G. 2 seats were available.

In the end, the seat next to me remained empty and the FA's decided to move a soldier in uniform into the seat, rather then moving the next passenger on the UG list up to FC. I just returned from the lav when I heared the GA in the gally talking to the FA, telling her that it was "up to the crew to upgrade the soldier or 21A".

to the FA's for ignoring their most loyal customers.

You missed the simple fact that the FA does not have access to the upgrade list, ergo they wouldn't know who the next person would be to get the upgrade. What if the FA said "the first medallion to ring their call button can come to FC"? This place would be screaming mad about that.

As the FA does not have the list, she/he/pilot can move anyone to any seat they want. Had the GA done it, then you might have a little bit to argue about, but you clearly stated the FA did it. If it really bothers you that bad, don't fly DL anymore. Find another carrier that doesn't do this.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Haven’t we previously beaten this horse a number of times in previous threads?

Why not cops? Why not members of our allies’ military? Why not Boy Scouts? Members of the Salvation Army?

These threads always turn into an “I’m more patriotic than you are and love my country/military more” argument. They don't resolve anything...

Haven’t we about covered it all here for now?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rwoman
Wow, that seems a bit conceited...and I am a DM....if available, I do expect that DL will upgrade me. However, I'm probably not going to have a flamin' DYKWIA moment or "this is the policy" moment if they put a service person in "my" seat instead and I'm relegated to Y.

In the end, regardless of folks' politics or DL's policies on upgrades, the soldier sat up front for that 3 1/2 or so hours to ATL. They were presumably grateful and appreciated having their service recognized.
Don't get me wrong, I have and will continue to give up my seat at times I feel like doing so. Same for Have One On Us coupons. But there should be a reasonable expectation that policy is followed. (I realize it is already a gray area due to everyone having been boarded.) In general, the idea that Delta should tell a long list of customers that they promised a chance at an upgrade in return for their continued business that instead, it's going to someone else not on the list at the GA or FA's whim... that's not defensible. Doesn't matter if it's a service member or the GA's roommate's-husband's-nephew's-daughter. If a person so chooses to honor a service member by offering them the seat, then ^ to them. DL must not force this decision.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USAF_Pride
You missed the simple fact that the FA does not have access to the upgrade list, ergo they wouldn't know who the next person would be to get the upgrade. What if the FA said "the first medallion to ring their call button can come to FC"? This place would be screaming mad about that.

As the FA does not have the list, she/he/pilot can move anyone to any seat they want. Had the GA done it, then you might have a little bit to argue about, but you clearly stated the FA did it. If it really bothers you that bad, don't fly DL anymore. Find another carrier that doesn't do this.
The GA told the FA that seat 21A was next in line, and to choose him/her or the service member.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by USAF_Pride

As the FA does not have the list, she/he/pilot can move anyone to any seat they want. Had the GA done it, then you might have a little bit to argue about, but you clearly stated the FA did it.
I guess you missed this part:

Originally Posted by berlinflyer
I just returned from the lav when I heared the GA in the gally talking to the FA, telling her that it was "up to the crew to upgrade the soldier or 21A".
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.