Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by SNA1K
Thank you. That was entirely my point. I'm amazed how quickly everyone gets ugly and defensive for DL on this. Since that's DL's position, and so many are so quick to judge, go ahead and keep this "policy" and DL and I'll happily maintain my highest premier levels on those other guys and give them the revenue in the future! Go ahead and close the thread.
I'm hopeful that the facts I've brought in (not that FT is big on facts when rumors and personal beliefs can be used) will keep things civil here. I think it's best to leave whether military personnel should be given free baggage for personal travel out of the discussion. That's all people's opinions, and arguing about it serves no purpose. However, what is clear is that DL's policy appears out of line with industry norms. Given DL's strength in the southeast, a region from which a significant number of servicemembers hail, I would think that DL would want to have a policy more in line with its competitors.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I think where posts like this go wrong is in the emotion. Ya, it is a may be a crappy policy, but not shameful. Shameful would be spitting on them or something.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Thank you. That was entirely my point. I'm amazed how quickly everyone gets ugly and defensive for DL on this. Since that's DL's position, and so many are so quick to judge, go ahead and keep this "policy" and DL and I'll happily maintain my highest premier levels on those other guys and give them the revenue in the future! Go ahead and close the thread.
Please do that, and take your complaint threads over to their pages as well. We will be better off over here on the DL page. Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by armattheus
I guess I'll be the first decenter.
...did you mean decanter ?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Go ahead and close the thread.
As you wish, although it has now been merged with a thread discussing a similar topic that is already locked.

Please read the following threads — all closed — discussing similar topics regarding benefits for military personnel, and you will see why I posted the following:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Trust me when I say that this thread will get plenty of attention — and I am bracing for it...
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Another traveler trying to stiff DL on the military issue:

From twitter:

gdlott @Delta FAIL fl#2125 US Soldier bumped on my ovrsld flight after people volunteer to give up seat, #rudegateagent
about 22 hours ago
And DL's reply:

Delta Thx for sharing @gdlott..we've investigated &.found no record of any confirmed passengers denied boarding. Pls DM @DeltaAssist with details
about 21 hours ago
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM and charter KM
Military non medallions upgraded!

I was on a flight Tuesday from RIC to ATL that had 2 open F seats and no more medallions to upgrade. After everyone boarded and the door was closed, the lead FA went back into coach and brought up two young men in army uniforms and gave them the 2 open F seats. Don't know if this is offical Delta policy or not, but I thought it was a very nice gesture by the FA.^ I know it sure made these guys day to get to sit up front even thought it was a short flight. It is because of the actions of Delta employees like this FA that make me chose to fly Delta.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by golfguy714
I was on a flight Tuesday from RIC to ATL that had 2 open F seats and no more medallions to upgrade. After everyone boarded and the door was closed, the lead FA went back into coach and brought up two young men in army uniforms and gave them the 2 open F seats. Don't know if this is offical Delta policy or not, but I thought it was a very nice gesture by the FA.^ I know it sure made these guys day to get to sit up front even thought it was a short flight. It is because of the actions of Delta employees like this FA that make me chose to fly Delta.
high five!!!!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
That's exactly how it should be.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by photojojo
That's exactly how it should be.
+1
^
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
aa has been doing it for quite a while....my bw & i were uged a while back and a lady soldier got one....she was wearing bdu's & the combat boots....we both laughed when she put her pink rollaboard in the overhead.....

they also get lounge access when on orders....
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
Smile

Originally Posted by golfguy714
Agree !!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
I was flying ATL --> SEA last week, and I hoped that would happen, but it didn't. There were two empty F seats until we closed the doors, then they brought up two civilians. Two guys in uniform stayed in row 40 or something.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
I haven't seen this happen yet but have written emails to delta in the past about this. I'm glad that they are doing this.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Popcorn, please.

Cue someone asking why they don't do this for police officers and others who risk their lives in the line of duty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.