FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:25 am
asnovici

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by padirescu
I love people who try to twist things into what they aren't.
That would be precisely what you are doing.

First, police officers have the luxury of walking away from their duties whenever they want.
Absolutely not true. A police officer is not just going to walk away from a persuit of a criminal (for instance) just because he doesn't feel like doing so.

Second, there are so many more ancillary duties that come with being a service member that are not experienced by the other professions you reference. There is no mandatory physical fitness training at 5am, there isn't a weekly / monthly requirement to stand guard duty on an empty building for 24 hours
Does the physical fitness training qualify soldiers as better people? Or is it their ability to stand still for extended periods of time? Is that why they deserve FC seats more then teachers or human rights activists or nurses?

These are just a few examples of the differences from these other professions not to mention the mental trauma of being in harms way 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Cops, firefighters and teachers don't have to worry about being bombed or ambushed at night while they sleep
You don't think firefighetrs or cops or inter city teachers have mental trauma in their line of work? I am not going into often gory details of some of the professions I mentioned before (not soldiers), but I think one can safely say that every one of the jobs listed above experience mental trauma. Soldiers signed up for a job to do, getting paid for it, knew what they are getting into, why should they have more priviledges then others? This is the kind of pseudo-patriotism that is so mind numbing it held this country hostage for the past 8 years.

Last edited by asnovici; Jan 5, 2009 at 9:31 am