Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Is it generally believed that SU is greater than S? My instinct would say yes.
They've generally made SU availability open down to last C+ seat (W). Unfortunately, you can't really check anymore since they don't show F/C+ upgrade availability before booking. Since S is a lower class than W, it can either be equal or lower than W inventory. I see DTW-MCO flights on 2/1 that are W3 S0 and W8 S3, but there's also one that is W1 S1 and a couple that are W9 S9. So mostly, I'd expect SU to be greater than S when S is less than W, or the same when W and S are the same.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 27, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
thanks for this thread...I am a new Medallion Platinum (status match from 1K UAL), does Delta have economy plus seating similar to UAL, if so can I book up to 8 in my party into those economy plus type seats for no charge at booking (2 months till flight)?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
thanks for this thread...I am a new Medallion Platinum (status match from 1K UAL), does Delta have economy plus seating similar to UAL, if so can I book up to 8 in my party into those economy plus type seats for no charge at booking (2 months till flight)?
The extra legroom seating you can get for free is called Comfort Plus. ...and nope, you can only "upgrade" you and one other guest to C+ (and first class). It really makes medallion status nearly worthless for families.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by pgh234
The extra legroom seating you can get for free is called Comfort Plus. ...and nope, you can only "upgrade" you and one other guest to C+ (and first class). It really makes medallion status nearly worthless for families.

appreciate the speedy reply and agree on the family comment.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
And on the flip side, it makes medallion status more valuable for actual medallion members, so a PM/DM and their party of 8 isn't taking up half the cabin months in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
And on the flip side, it makes medallion status more valuable for actual medallion members, so a PM/DM and their party of 8 isn't taking up half the cabin months in advance.

enjoy
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
How many married PMs and DMs with 6 kids do you know?!? That sounds rare (and exhausting)
Old Jan 30, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
enjoy
Apologies if I sounded insensitive. I think it is a feature of the program rather than a flaw, is all.

How many married PMs and DMs with 6 kids do you know?!? That sounds rare (and exhausting)
The person who just asked the question had 8 in their party.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:00 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Apologies if I sounded insensitive. I think it is a feature of the program rather than a flaw, is all.

The person who just asked the question had 8 in their party.
In their party doesn't necessarily mean "family".
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
In their party doesn't necessarily mean "family".
that’s right. It’s up to 8 people traveling with the member
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that’s right. It’s up to 8 people traveling with the member
Note that companions have access to "Preferred" seats on DL which includes exit rows on many aircraft. UA tends to classify exit rows as Economy Plus.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Note that companions have access to "Preferred" seats on DL which includes exit rows on many aircraft. UA tends to classify exit rows as Economy Plus.
Thanks, how many companions get access to preferred seats for a Platinum Delta member?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, how many companions get access to preferred seats for a Platinum Delta member?
Up to 8 companions -- https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...d-seating.html
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper

appreciate the info!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I added a wiki at the top of this thread, listing most of the other related threads in the DL forum that cover the primary methods of how to sit up front.

I couldn't get this image to embed in the wiki directly from imgur, but didn't want it to go to waste, so here it is (Maybe once it's uploaded to FT I can link it by URL...)

edit: cool, that worked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.