Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by estedman
I find absolutely nothing wrong with domestic F seats.
If you only have to spend 90 minutes in them, sure. If you've ever been stuck for 3+ hours on a 739, I'd beg to differ.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
If you only have to spend 90 minutes in them, sure. If you've ever been stuck for 3+ hours on a 739, I'd beg to differ.
You can beg all you want, but you don't get to decide what other people define as comfortable. I fly mod-con or better regularly on 739s, with most being ATL-PDX or vv - so depending on winds, 4-5 hours. I have no issue with the seats and frequently nap for the entire flight.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by David7
Does anyone have experience on what happens if you request two main courses in international Delta One? Or if there is a way to get two main courses?

I asked for the beef AND pasta and she said only one main course per person was allowed.

Of course the crew ate the leftover business class meals.
A couple thoughts:

1) I doubt the crew was eating "leftover" J meals. Crew are provided with their own meals, usually the same food as the highest level of service on the flight.

2) While DL used to, I think, cater for a full cabin and also some extra meals, they may have cut back a bit during the pandemic.

3) In my experience, the best time to ask for something extra is after the other pax have been served, or when ordering, to mention that if there happens to be extra you'd really appreciate it. Just keep in mind that your ticket only includes one meal.
jamesteroh and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Depending on the buy-up, if one has checked bags, which could run $120 round trip, the price difference to buy-up may be less than the price for buying Y or C+ and checking bags.

Even as a Medallion who gets free bags, I have opted to buy-up to F on occasion when the fare difference to buy-up is small enough. Keep in mind too that DL is doing seat blocking in F when traveling solo and that adds a comfort factor as well. The times I've been up in F with the seat next to me blocked, it's been nice to use the area under or around the other seat as storage, use the other seat's tray table, etc. I'll also pull up the moving map on the other seat's IFE screen so I can keep it up full time as I watch a movie or show on my IFE screen.

But admittedly, as I've posted several times, all of my flights post-pandemic have been under 3 hours. If I was taking longer flights, I would be hard-pressed to fly DL due to the lack of real service (especially meals) on flights of such lengths.
All the buy ups I'm seeing are quite a bit. I have a LAS/DTW flight that is a redeye and the buyup on the return is just shy of $900 ONE WAY. When I was looking at the LAS/DTW flight that I'm taking Spirit on instead the fare difference was more reasonable, around $600 RT but that's still a lot of money even if they had full F service.

You still have plenty of leg room with a blocked middle seat in C+ I have seat 13F on an a321 for my Vegas which is a C+ exit row seat with only two seats so I'll have that row to myself with plenty of leg room.

The only advantage I can think of for me to buy a F seat right now is the SDC flexibility
Old Mar 18, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
.... Keep in mind too that DL is doing seat blocking in F when traveling solo and that adds a comfort factor as well. The times I've been up in F with the seat next to me blocked, it's been nice to use the area under or around the other seat as storage, use the other seat's tray table, etc. I'll also pull up the moving map on the other seat's IFE screen so I can keep it up full time as I watch a movie or show on my IFE screen.....
Exactly - this to me is worth the extra bucks and I rather have the blocked seat for 3 hours than an free omelet for 15 minutes
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
All the buy ups I'm seeing are quite a bit. I have a LAS/DTW flight that is a redeye and the buyup on the return is just shy of $900 ONE WAY. When I was looking at the LAS/DTW flight that I'm taking Spirit on instead the fare difference was more reasonable, around $600 RT but that's still a lot of money even if they had full F service.

You still have plenty of leg room with a blocked middle seat in C+ I have seat 13F on an a321 for my Vegas which is a C+ exit row seat with only two seats so I'll have that row to myself with plenty of leg room.

The only advantage I can think of for me to buy a F seat right now is the SDC flexibility
I’m seeing the same thing, FC rates are more expensive now than pre-COVID! I guess that should be expected since they are only selling half the cabin, but it’s still ridiculous and not worth it when they are still blocking seats in C+ and Y. Ironically most of the people I’m seeing pay for F right now are couples which is a complete waste of money for them as they don’t get to take advantage of seat blocking like they could in Y or C+. Obviously some couples may not be aware of all the drastic cutbacks DL has done to domestic FC (there have been a few of those post in this thread), but couples buying F right now is pure profit for DL since they don’t have to block any seats while providing no in-flight service at the same time.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
You can beg all you want, but you don't get to decide what other people define as comfortable. I fly mod-con or better regularly on 739s, with most being ATL-PDX or vv - so depending on winds, 4-5 hours. I have no issue with the seats and frequently nap for the entire flight.
To each their own of course. Once one experiences an actually premium cabin product their standards tend to change. I personally prefer to arrive with my spine moderately serviceable and having not given the aisle seat customer a lap dance each time I use the toilet. I understand not all are in the same boat however.
SFO777, demkr, apodo77 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
To each their own of course. Once one experiences an actually premium cabin product their standards tend to change. I personally prefer to arrive with my spine moderately serviceable and having not given the aisle seat customer a lap dance each time I use the toilet. I understand not all are in the same boat however.
My vote for the best post of the month!
flyerCO, demkr, apodo77 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’m seeing the same thing, FC rates are more expensive now than pre-COVID! I guess that should be expected since they are only selling half the cabin, but it’s still ridiculous and not worth it when they are still blocking seats in C+ and Y. Ironically most of the people I’m seeing pay for F right now are couples which is a complete waste of money for them as they don’t get to take advantage of seat blocking like they could in Y or C+. Obviously some couples may not be aware of all the drastic cutbacks DL has done to domestic FC (there have been a few of those post in this thread), but couples buying F right now is pure profit for DL since they don’t have to block any seats while providing no in-flight service at the same time.
Still paying and yes, only travel with Mrs. OPENROAD, but I appreciate the extra space. That said, I will price out my fares, flew to OGG in February, looked at Delta's fare and ended up flying Hawaiian to OGG (cheaper than Delta and lie flat bed and decent food) and Alaska back, cheaper than Delta but same disappointing service.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by OPENROAD
Still paying and yes, only travel with Mrs. OPENROAD, but I appreciate the extra space. That said, I will price out my fares, flew to OGG in February, looked at Delta's fare and ended up flying Hawaiian to OGG (cheaper than Delta and lie flat bed and decent food) and Alaska back, cheaper than Delta but same disappointing service.
On DL with the middle seat blocking in place, you actually now get more seat width in C+ with an empty middle than you do in FC with there being a large center console blocking usable space. With there being no advantages to in-flight service in FC over C+ (they still offer the free beer/wine to C+ pax), there is no reason to pay for DLs ridiculous FC rates right now if traveling as a couple as you won’t be able to take advantage of the seat blocking in F which is the main perk of F right now. Obviously on other airlines that aren’t blocking middle seats and are actually providing real FC service, than it’s totally worth it to pay for F, but there’s no reason for couples traveling to pay for DL FC right now IMO.
flyerCO, AinA, OPENROAD and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On DL with the middle seat blocking in place, you actually now get more seat width in C+ with an empty middle than you do in FC with there being a large center console blocking usable space. With there being no advantages to in-flight service in FC over C+ (they still offer the free beer/wine to C+ pax), there is no reason to pay for DLs ridiculous FC rates right now if traveling as a couple as you won’t be able to take advantage of the seat blocking in F which is the main perk of F right now. Obviously on other airlines that aren’t blocking middle seats and are actually providing real FC service, than it’s totally worth it to pay for F, but there’s no reason for couples traveling to pay for DL FC right now IMO.
Agreed. I now only pay for DL F in scenarios where there is no other reasonable option and I’m in the mood to drink a whole lot of marginal red wine with no food.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
... there is no reason to pay for DLs ridiculous FC rates right now if traveling as a couple as you won’t be able to take advantage of the seat blocking in F which is the main perk of F right now.
Of course that couple could always select cross aisle seats and each get a blocked window seat.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 18, 2021 at 9:29 pm
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
That's why I don't understand people paying for F. You get the same service in C+ and even if you don't have status to get you into C+ for free it's a lot cheaper paying for a C+ seat than paying for F.

I have a DTW/LAS trip coming up next month and am taking Spirit since a big front seat is a lot less on those days than coach in Delta. Even though I have to pay for drinks at least they are available for purchase. Last time I flew spirit was back when they had business class and the seats were as comfortable as Delta in First (back when NK had business class I could fly them for about the same price DTW/LGA as Northwest in coach and the food and beverage offerings were better on that short flight than DL in First).

At least one other person in this thread commented they were using Spirit. It's pretty bad when Delta diamonds are using a low cost carrier like NK instead for better service.
Granted, I've not flown for like 2 years, but when I do (other than Southwest or JetBlue direct flights ALB to MCO/FLL), I will buy F. C+ on Delta may have the same "service" and empty seat, but the seat itself doesn't recline as much and isn't as comfortable, IMO as the F seat. I have a bad neck/back and the limited recline (for longer than 2.5-3 hours) kills me. I can barely tolerate the Southwest devolve seats even on a direct flight (Jetblue is great, but their flight options out of ALB kinda stink and their on-time performance is atrocious).

But to each his own. Some folks have no problem sitting in Y and never recline their seat for hours on end. I'm just not one of them.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
OK, but this is no secret. Unless the price is amazing or the flight is very short, anyone that willingly chooses to buy/fly DL "First" these days gets no sympathy here.
I am going from the Northwest to Indy for the NCAA Tourney and it was the best routing and price. Otherwise, I would have probably flown Alaska.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:39 am

Indeed. I personally prefer to not engage in ridiculous hyperbole over something that has a minimal effect on my life. I understand not all are in the same boat however.
ijgordon, TXguy and WillBarrett_68 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.