Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
**Update 7/21/21 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

- 6/15 Hot meal service returns to select D1/FC Transcon flights - JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX + BOS-SEA/LAX
- 6/15 Snack basket returns to select FC/C+/and D1 flights as well as Y Flight Fuel Box sales returning
- 7/28 (limited to SEA/SFO/LAX/SLC to/from hubs/focus cities) Meals on FC flights over 1500 miles departing before 9PM. Meals will likely be cold/uncooked items like salads and sandwiches.
- 8/17 and 8/24 Remaining FC flights over 1500 miles get meals.

- 8/24 hub-to-hub (inc. focus cities) routes between 900 and 1500 miles get meals
- 8/31 full restoration of old meal service standard (meal windows seem to be gone) with all FC flights between 900-1500 miles getting meals
https://news.delta.com/la-chefs-jon-shook-vinny-dotolo-headline-return-fresh-meals-deltas-premium-domestic-cabins

**Update 4/14 North America, Latin America, and Caribbean***

All Cabins, Purell wipe or similar during boarding
Beverages: 7.5oz mini cans: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic, Club, Orange, Cran, Bloody Mary Mix, Coffee Tea, Water.
Spirits: Finlandia Vodka, Jack, Bombay Gin, Woodford, Tip Top Old Fashioned & Margarita, Sweetwater 420 & Hazy IPA, Miller Lite, White/Red/Sparkling Wine

F/C - All Flights - NO PDB OR PRE-SET WATER - Full Beverage Selection, Sweet & Salty Snack
F/C 900+ - Choice of Non-Perishable flight fuel box.
F/C 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

C+, M/C - < 251 - No Service
C+, M/C
- 251+ - 8oz water, Coffee/Tea, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty) C+ Only: Beer/Wine
C+, M/C - 500+ - Full Beverage, 2 Snacks (Sweet/Salty), Ice On Request, C+ Only: Complimentary Spirits
C+, M/C - 1500+ - Pre Arrival Second Beverage Service
**you can always request refills**

Tap To Pay activated on Flight Attendant Devices For Contactless Payments.
*on domestic widebodies D1 gets domestic FC service. A/C that have PS are C+ service and C+ is MC service.*

For your convenience, note that the contents of the Bistro (orange) box are pictured in post #3814 while a detailed list of the contents of the Market (yellow) box is given in post #3471.
Print Wikipost

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS

No more rants or protests I now know how it is But after previously reporting an ultra long flights without actual catering in First, thought I’d post my new personal record for a flight with crackers and water mini bottles. Don’t say that I have a choice. Mint is gone from this week and United from EWR removed the two later flights. Realistically tho, loads are still non-existent with 5 pax in F and 11 in Y...cannot see their hurry to resume any service-or the drawbacks of a middle seat open
7h40m on a 739 would make me rethink my will to live quite a few times. By the 5th hour I’d probably be begging the flight crew to just drive the thing into the ground. Honestly though, with only 11 in the back I’d probably just drink a bunch of wine in F and then go find a nice empty row of three and pass out until it was over.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
So, like a bunch of you, I have been very displeased with the lack of service on DL flights recently. However, I have cheated on UA a couple times, and I was significantly delayed (multiple hours) on both itineraries. I don't know if I was just unlucky, but I have never been delayed like that on any Delta flight. Ultimately, I'll take consistent on-time arrivals over iced drinks and a warm sandwich on my 3-hour flights.
AeRoSpaceman and TXguy like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eneq
So, like a bunch of you, I have been very displeased with the lack of service on DL flights recently. However, I have cheated on UA a couple times, and I was significantly delayed (multiple hours) on both itineraries. I don't know if I was just unlucky, but I have never been delayed like that on any Delta flight. Ultimately, I'll take consistent on-time arrivals over iced drinks and a warm sandwich on my 3-hour flights.
This is why when booking a personal leisure flight for the fall (I am in the camp that oil prices are going to continue to rise and that air travel is going to immensely pick up and fares are almost certain to rise materially) that I want to back from with some level of certainty, booked Delta One back but am taking Mint there.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS

No more rants or protests I now know how it is But after previously reporting an ultra long flights without actual catering in First, thought I’d post my new personal record for a flight with crackers and water mini bottles. Don’t say that I have a choice. Mint is gone from this week and United from EWR removed the two later flights. Realistically tho, loads are still non-existent with 5 pax in F and 11 in Y...cannot see their hurry to resume any service-or the drawbacks of a middle seat open
Did you get a reason for the delay? I was on this flight in December and had issues. No one had any idea what was going on, then the “FAs” were missing, the plane was boarded then deboarded, etc. While I did have the club, it was a lot of being told to go to the gate, then back again. Multiple times. Gate agents etc had no clue what was happening. Not the Delta I remember
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Did you get a reason for the delay? I was on this flight in December and had issues. No one had any idea what was going on, then the “FAs” were missing, the plane was boarded then deboarded, etc. While I did have the club, it was a lot of being told to go to the gate, then back again. Multiple times. Gate agents etc had no clue what was happening. Not the Delta I remember
Scheduling issues. There was a period when amateurs were in charge of crew scheduling.
Though in this particular case it seems plane spent a lot of time on tarmac after door closed. Maybe waiting to get clearance due to weather etc.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Would be great if more flyers can confirm this. I have had Delta None bulkhead seats on several flights and didn't see the crew getting ice for themselves at all. Also, on many ATL FLL/MIA legs, I can see the F galley carts open whilst the crew is offering water, beer, and wine, and haven't noticed any bags of ice even for themselves.
I have gotten ice in F several times on DL. It's always been as described, and my assumption is that it was to pack the drinks in. It's been hit and miss as to whether the FA will do it for you, or if they have it - I wouldn't have a way to know the difference. But I've definitely gotten ice several times.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:14 am

Yesterday, I overheard an FA tell a pax, "I'll put your beer on ice until you're ready to drink it." So, ice was definitely loaded on my flight.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 12:31 pm

Today, Delta announced a "contactless" (tap-to-pay) payment system onboard. Right now, they say they're only using it for headphone purchases, but perhaps this is foreshadowing for a return to full cabin service?

Delta continues to invest in touchless and frictionless features in the air and on the ground. Starting March 16, tap-to-pay technology will enable contactless payment for onboard purchases. Customers will be able to purchase earbuds on board using their mobile devices or contactless-enabled credit cards. Contactless payment will expand to all onboard sales as more food and beverage options return. The new system also allows for emailed receipts. “At Delta, we think big, start small and scale fast to improve the experience for our customers,” said Bill Lentsch, Chief Customer Experience Officer. “Not only will these new features provide peace of mind in the pandemic era by reducing touchpoints, they’re a key element of our vision for easing every step of the travel journey.”

The global airline is also testing digital seatback menus on select international flights with plans to expand the feature across its fleet. A new electronic Delta One menu, currently accessible via personal seatback screens on A330-operated flights between Boston and Amsterdam, will reduce waste, streamline service and allow flight attendants to connect with customers more safely.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tardyturtle
Today, Delta announced a "contactless" (tap-to-pay) payment system onboard. Right now, they say they're only using it for headphone purchases, but perhaps this is foreshadowing for a return to full cabin service?
Ahh, yes. So it’s safe to have FAs sell headphones but not other items on board. Or are they still using the excuse of ‘we don’t have enough room for food and beverage items on board’ which was the CS line a few months ago?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jeet
Scheduling issues. There was a period when amateurs were in charge of crew scheduling.
Though in this particular case it seems plane spent a lot of time on tarmac after door closed. Maybe waiting to get clearance due to weather etc.
More than once I have been on planes that left the gate and got in line becasuse otherwise you were going to be even later.

I did one, once where we had an entire meal on the tarmac just not to lose our place. Not uncommon in winter
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
More than once I have been on planes that left the gate and got in line becasuse otherwise you were going to be even later.

I did one, once where we had an entire meal on the tarmac just not to lose our place. Not uncommon in winter
Pack and park is also common in non-plague times when ATL ATC is trying to manage congestion and giving hold at origin orders for very short haul flights because it's both cheaper and safer than putting a plane in the air in a holding pattern.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by eneq
Yesterday, I overheard an FA tell a pax, "I'll put your beer on ice until you're ready to drink it." So, ice was definitely loaded on my flight.
What a great touch, in a couple of months they will revert to saying I'll put ice in your beer until you're a ready to drink it
SFO777 and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
7h40m on a 739 would make me rethink my will to live quite a few times. By the 5th hour I’d probably be begging the flight crew to just drive the thing into the ground. Honestly though, with only 11 in the back I’d probably just drink a bunch of wine in F and then go find a nice empty row of three and pass out until it was over.
LOL. Imagine how you'd feel if you were on my DEN-LAX flight?

cmd320, strickerj and OhHellNah like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Imagine how you'd feel if you were on my DEN-LAX flight?

9H 24m left for DEN-LAX...I could walk there faster. [Maybe the time was frozen from a previous transpac flt.? On a recent LAS-JFK flt the tracker screen "froze" after 2 hrs in the air.]
PS: In the past month the movie selections improved, true classics like CITIKZEN KANE are now available. Your selection of "Bad Education" a semi-documentary of the Roslyn School financial fiasco is a good movie.
cmd320 and OhHellNah like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Pack and park is also common in non-plague times when ATL ATC is trying to manage congestion and giving hold at origin orders for very short haul flights because it's both cheaper and safer than putting a plane in the air in a holding pattern.
This happens a lot with flights to LGA/JFK from RIC & CHO even though there is no line whatstoever for takeoff - they hurray and get everyone on to the plane and you think its all great and then you sit on the tarmac 20-30 min waiting for the NYC ATC to give the go ahead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.