Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by dougbroda
I just got a message on my iPad from the Delta app stating "Your boarding pass is now availble for your trip to Melbourne."

(Not only is the flight canceled, but I received a refund some time ago.)

Harmless but...
i get those all the time for flights i cancelled long ago....
Old Apr 5, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by olea12
I have a quick question regarding refunds: I have an upcoming DL roundtrip in May and although there is no change in schedule nor cancellation, i am concerned about Covid-19 situation therefore i'd like to cancel my flight. Is there any way i can get a refund for this particular non-refundable fare instead of e-credit? What are your thoughts everyone?
Thank you.
If Delta cancels the flight (even if you cancel the reservations in advance), they will allow you to get a refund. You just have to monitor the flight and if it is completely cancelled or flight times are changed by more than 90 minutes or the flight becomes a connection, you are entitled to a complete refund. You just need to monitor the flights and if any of those things happen, call and they will refund immediately. If the flight is not cancelled, then you have a voucher and the validity was extended today.
olea12 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:36 am

I have a flight ticket booked with Delta from Tokyo to Seattle for late April. However, now it is physically impossible to enter Japan (or get to Japan, but that's another topic) due to the ban on Americans and other nationalities. Will Delta refund my ticket? There is an option to "refund" the ticket on the Delta web site, but I did not click "continue" yet as I'm still holding out chance there is still a 5% chance that I could get to the airport, and transfer at Haneda. But I'm just asking for future reference for two weeks from now when I need to try to cancel and refund the ticket. Or will I need to call Delta, tell them I'm American and can't enter Japan and can't get there, and are they offering refunds right now automatically for this type of scenario? Or will it be a challenge? I really need to get the refund, as I need the funds available to look for any other options from Singapore back to the U.S.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:36 am

I have a flight ticket booked with Delta from Tokyo to Seattle for late April. However, now it is physically impossible to enter Japan (or get to Japan, but that's another topic) due to the ban on Americans and other nationalities. Will Delta refund my ticket? There is an option to "refund" the ticket on the Delta web site, but I did not click "continue" yet as I'm still holding out chance there is still a 5% chance that I could get to the airport, and transfer at Haneda. But I'm just asking for future reference for two weeks from now when I need to try to cancel and refund the ticket. Or will I need to call Delta, tell them I'm American and can't enter Japan and can't get there, and are they offering refunds right now automatically for this type of scenario? Or will it be a challenge? I really need to get the refund, as I need the funds available to look for any other options from Singapore back to the U.S. Thanks for any replies.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Just got an e-mail from DL telling me I had an e-credit. Brief background: had booked trip home from Quito on 4/5 for $1,600, tour was cut short, rebooked for 3/20 departure and fare decreased by $600. Ecuador closed its airports to flights from other countries in the meantime (I was coming in from Bolivia) and DL cancelled the flight outright. Phone agent last week promised a refund; instead they posted a $1,000 e-credit. (That gives me hope I may actually see a refund for the $600 fare difference.)

I replied to the e-mail and told them DOT requires a refund, not an e-credit, since they cancelled the flight. I requested a refund. I can likely use the e-credit when things get back to "normal" but would rather have the $$- of course I had to spend real $$ to get back home on Boliviana.

Stay tuned.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:28 am

Little off specific topic, but just got off the phone with AC. I had a flight that was cancelled (by AC) and requested a refund. They said they were forced to cancel the flight due to the virus and they were not making refunds. I pressed them for a refund and the reply was it wasn't their fault flights had to cancel and there would be no refund. (It must be MY fault the flights were cancelled?) Rarely fly AC, so a future credit is pretty much worthless. Thankfully, Delta is still refunding for cancelled flights. Will DL's policy end?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Little off specific topic, but just got off the phone with AC. I had a flight that was cancelled (by AC) and requested a refund. They said they were forced to cancel the flight due to the virus and they were not making refunds. I pressed them for a refund and the reply was it wasn't their fault flights had to cancel and there would be no refund. (It must be MY fault the flights were cancelled?) Rarely fly AC, so a future credit is pretty much worthless. Thankfully, Delta is still refunding for cancelled flights. Will DL's policy end?
Does the flight involve a US airport? Try pointing them to this, h/t to the WN forum:
"Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged."
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Did you pay with a USA based cc? You should probably request a charge-back, since they cancelled the flight.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:51 pm

Just a datapoint that with the DOT notice regarding refunds it may be that DL is now taking longer to process refunds. I had been seeing frequent posts in this thread regarding refunds posting to CC in about 3 days. I had a refund eligible change to a reservation and the refund confirmation emails stated 7-21 business days. Today is day 8 and nothing yet. I’m not worried (yet) as there’s still many days left in posted window.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:57 pm

How are refunds for flights booked with miles being handled? Are they waiving the usual $150 fee (note I no longer have status). I have a domestic trip starting May 30th that I should probably just cancel.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Does the flight involve a US airport? Try pointing them to this, h/t to the WN forum:

"Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged."
All flights were between Canadian Cities or from Canada to Spain. They said it didn't make any difference, they were not refunding ANY nonrefundable tickets. They said the cancellations were not their fault.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Just a datapoint that with the DOT notice regarding refunds it may be that DL is now taking longer to process refunds. I had been seeing frequent posts in this thread regarding refunds posting to CC in about 3 days. I had a refund eligible change to a reservation and the refund confirmation emails stated 7-21 business days. Today is day 8 and nothing yet. I’m not worried (yet) as there’s still many days left in posted window.
On 3/26 I cancelled a flight. I immediately got an email noting my cc will be credited: You've successfully cancelled your trip. The credit card used to purchase your ticket has been credited the full purchase price. I also have a "cancellation authorization code"
But when I look at my acct on www.delta.com there is an e-credit for the amt of the refund I am expecting.
PS: I called DL once, the agent said it is taking time for refunds to be processed.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
All flights were between Canadian Cities or from Canada to Spain. They said it didn't make any difference, they were not refunding ANY nonrefundable tickets. They said the cancellations were not their fault.
He seems to have rubbed a lot of Canadian FTers the wrong way over the years, but Gabor Lukacs has been doing good advocacy work for those in your situation. https://www.facebook.com/groups/AirPassengerRights/ . There may be other paths to connect with them as well.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
"All applicable eCredits will be automatically extended for travel to be completed through May 31, 2022, so there’s no action needed on your part. Delta is working on a solution to display the new expiration dates on Delta.com, so even if your eCredit for canceled travel has not yet been processed or extended, rest assured that your flight value is secure. If you are ready to book your new trip now and don’t yet see your eCredit or have an issue booking via delta.com, please have your old ticket number ready when you call our Reservations team."
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Same story here. My voucher expires in August of this year (it was for an April flight to Italy, booked last year in September).
Still waiting for the extension...
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:37 am

Required documentation for travel to Schengen area

Hi everyone,
this is my first post so please let me know if I am using the wrong thread etc.

Does anyone know what kind of documentation is required at the Check-In counter to be able to travel from the US to Europe?
I am legally allowed to enter the Schengen area as a German resident. I do have documentation to prove my resideny (german registration form) at customs in Germany.
But how do I convince the Delta Check-In agent to let me board the flight? The document I have is in German so it will not be very useful to the agent.
And with only a US passport I am not allowed to enter the Schengen area.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this situation?

Thanks a lot and yes this travel is essential...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.