Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2020, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by cmd320
In fairness, had OP lugged his/her large boxes onto the moving walkway and I were stuck behind, I'd consider that pretty rude. I'm glad some people have some self-awareness.
I can't imagine how someone could get three large boxes through security in the first place. The whole story, with three heavy boxes and a 25 minute wait for a drink, has no credibility.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by cmd320
I mean, in fairness even if I were standing at the bar for ten minutes waiting for the bartender to make me a drink, I would deem that completely unacceptable service in a SkyClub. We're not talking about a packed downtown bar on a Saturday night or anything like that.
I was being extremely generous in my estimation of the longest I've ever waited for a drink at SLC. Of course, if I see more than 4-5 people in the line, I'll most likely take a seat and try again a little later because it usually ebbs and flows. I can really only recall two occasions where I walked away with my drink frustrated at how long it took. Once at ATL B and once at JFK T4, both clubs with a reputation for being brutally busy in the pre-covid era. The JFK club incident was mid-summer in the evening before the TATL departure bank when the club is packed with all the D1 traffic, and even then it probably wasn't 10 minutes in line.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:21 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Perhaps re:my cavalier (I) is having us all on? Was in the old club early this month and walked right up and got some white wine with no trouble. Shortish connection, too.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LexPassenger
Perhaps re:my cavalier (I) is having us all on? Was in the old club early this month and walked right up and got some white wine with no trouble. Shortish connection, too.
Early this month would be before the new club opened right?
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:26 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Yeah, that's what "old club" means. Servers there were complained of as well.

Last edited by LexPassenger; Sep 26, 2020 at 4:28 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LexPassenger
Yeah, that's what "old club" means. Servers there were complained of as well.
Just curious because the OP had stated the 25' wait time was in the new club. I assumed it was something to do with understaffing of the new club or perhaps familiarization issues amongst the bar staff.

I personally don't go through SLC very often (maybe like 5 times in the last 10 years?) but I never experienced a wait that I would have considered different from any other club. With that said, I probably haven't really been there at peak times I would guess. Hopefully they get the issues in the new club sorted. It would be a shame to design such a nice space and then boggle it with poor service.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Speaking of the new SLC, Does anyone know why Delta has never introduced Porsche transfer service there? As I understand it, NYC, ATL, DTW, MSP, LAX and SEA all have Porsches doing transfers. Is there not enough premium traffic at poor SLC?
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Speaking of the new SLC, Does anyone know why Delta has never introduced Porsche transfer service there? As I understand it, NYC, ATL, DTW, MSP, LAX and SEA all have Porsches doing transfers. Is there not enough premium traffic at poor SLC?
If I were to guess I would say premium traffic would be probably one of the biggest factors along with maybe lack of available facilities for this service and relative ease of connecting here to begin with. Perhaps that could change with the new terminal though.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
When I was in the new SLC club last week, when I first arrived there (around 0845) there was a line at the bar that might have required a 10 minute wait for a drink. I don't think it was any longer than that. I wandered around the club for a while, went onto the SkyDeck, and went back to the bar after maybe 30 minutes. The line was gone by then, and I got served right away.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
I found it odd that the magazines in the skyclub were for Aspen, Vail, and Jackson Hole! I asked the ladies at the desk and they just shook their head.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I thought they had. I was flying with a 360 and I could have sworn we got a ride from the old E gates to the B gates.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND76
When I was in the new SLC club last week, when I first arrived there (around 0845) there was a line at the bar that might have required a 10 minute wait for a drink. I don't think it was any longer than that. I wandered around the club for a while, went onto the SkyDeck, and went back to the bar after maybe 30 minutes. The line was gone by then, and I got served right away.
It sounds like they're just short-staffed. This needs to be remedied as waiting 10 minutes for a drink from the bar at any time isn't really good enough.

DL should also be mindful that they're not serving much on board right now either, therefore drinks on the ground will be in higher demand.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Demolition is well underway to make room for the rest of Concourse A for Delta. Still going to be awhile though before enough gates are finished.
N830MH and Mountain Explorer like this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by p100a
I found it odd that the magazines in the skyclub were for Aspen, Vail, and Jackson Hole! I asked the ladies at the desk and they just shook their head.
I believe I read somewhere that a lot of western hubs were beefing up mountain routes for the ski season due to people wanting to get away and skiing being reasonably easy to social distance. I would assume delta would not pass up the chance to offer connecting service despite the availability of great skiing within eyesight of said magazines
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by gitismatt
I believe I read somewhere that a lot of western hubs were beefing up mountain routes for the ski season due to people wanting to get away and skiing being reasonably easy to social distance. I would assume delta would not pass up the chance to offer connecting service despite the availability of great skiing within eyesight of said magazines
While Southwest, Alaska, and JetBlue have all added new service to ski destinations this winter, Delta has cut most of their flights to smaller airport ski destinations. (Of course the SLC hub provides pretty good access to multiple ski resorts.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.