Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by p100a
Sounds like having one SC is going to be a major setback. Just like JFK T4 which a mile away from the curb. What a shame they didnt plan one for A and B concourses..
My understanding is that space for some type of club is allocated in the blueprints for B Concourse. Perhaps that space will not come until the concourse is fully built-out. I don't think it will be a Delta club (if it is anything at all) because Delta will not have any gates in B once everything is said and done.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Sounds like having one SC is going to be a major setback. Just like JFK T4 which a mile away from the curb. What a shame they didnt plan one for A and B concourses..
If I remember correctly there was originally going to be a small SC in B. Also, we need to remember that once the A and B concourses are built out there will be a central tunnel.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Once the build is complete, DL won't have any gates in Concourse B. Seems like a strange place to put a SkyClub.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Once the build is complete, DL won't have any gates in Concourse B. Seems like a strange place to put a SkyClub.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Delta or anyone else knows what 2024 will look like.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think Delta or anyone else knows what 2024 will look like.
Oh really? That would mean that the 47 A gates aren't sufficient for DL. That would be a very substantial operational increase. Even before the pandemic, DL's long term plans for SLC were modest growth, primarily thru aircraft upsizing (which doesn't require new gates, in case you couldn't piece that together). The pandemic may or may not slow down those plans (probably will, but who knows). You're suggesting that DL may, in fact, significantly exceed it's pre-pandemic plans? Care to share what evidence you have suggesting that?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Oh really? That would mean that the 47 A gates aren't sufficient for DL. That would be a very substantial operational increase. Even before the pandemic, DL's long term plans for SLC were modest growth, primarily thru aircraft upsizing (which doesn't require new gates, in case you couldn't piece that together). The pandemic may or may not slow down those plans (probably will, but who knows). You're suggesting that DL may, in fact, significantly exceed it's pre-pandemic plans? Care to share what evidence you have suggesting that?
How many gates did DL have at SLC before?

From what I can tell from before DL was using at least 52 gates being in all of C, D, and E. In addition to that they were using some in B too right?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320

From what I can tell from before DL was using at least 52 gates being in all of C, D, and E. In addition to that they were using some in B too right?
While E had a ton of gates, many weren't used (thank goodness, it was not a nice place).

In recent (pre-pandemic) times, DL had 26 exclusive gates in C/D, a handful of shared-use gates in B (I think I'd seen 5 or so, but they were shared so it would vary throughout the day) and I think maybe a few bus gates also, not sure (I don't fly to the smaller mountain cities so I never used those)
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Not sure for civilian airfields, but military airfields you certainly can't and if caught will likely have security forces on you pretty quickly. Not sure why a civilian airfield, other than if someone is snooping around planes, would restrict it; there's certainly a lot of plane spotting out and around airports.
between 2000 and 2011 I had probably 20 NW/DL flights to/from VPS which is dual-use with Eglin AFB ... on more than a few, the crews announced that window shades had to be down while on the ground because of various military aircraft on the Eglin ramp

full disclosure — I don’t recall whether Row 1 on AT7/CRJ/CR7/CR9, and/or overwing exit rows on any jets, were exempt
Old Nov 6, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320

I am not sure on the exact numbers, but come 2024, there will be slightly fewer Delta gates in the new airport. The reason is that at the old concourses two large planes could not be at some adjacent gates -- there wasn't sufficient room. The new concourse has far more room between each gate. So fewer gates are needed to get out the same number of flights. And of course the new airport has jetways for each gate, whereas E concourse did not have jetways. Hence, the new airport has more total gates WITH jetways than the old airport did.

Now that the airport has parallel concourses, there can be a C concourse added down the road if still more gates are needed. The blueprints allow for an underground train to be added linking the terminal and A, B, and C.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jrl767
between 2000 and 2011 I had probably 20 NW/DL flights to/from VPS which is dual-use with Eglin AFB ... on more than a few, the crews announced that window shades had to be down while on the ground because of various military aircraft on the Eglin ramp

full disclosure — I don’t recall whether Row 1 on AT7/CRJ/CR7/CR9, and/or overwing exit rows on any jets, were exempt
I've heard stories of this in the past, but it's never happened to me living here (200+ flights to/from VPS according to Flight Memory). In the past, however, there may have been some "other types of aircraft," but as far as I know that was more 70s and not 2000s.

Last edited by dmarge18; Nov 6, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dmarge18
I've heard stories of this in the past, but it's never happened to me living here (207 flights to/from VPS according to Flight Memory). In the past, however, there may have been some "other types of aircraft," but as far as I know that was more 70s and not 2000s.
I think shades down was more likely semi-recently when they were still working on major debugging with the F-35 project- what was going on with them wasn't top secret at that point but the DoD also didn't want a ton of pictures of some things all over the intranets. I've got nowhere close to those flight numbers out of here but remember that pilot request a few times then.

VPS is its own quirky little place because of that joint use agreement. No you aren't actually landing in Alabama before taxiing to the gate; it just feels like it because the civilian air terminal is many, many miles away from the north-south runway you usually land on. And yes, that was the real space shuttle. Consider yourself lucky if you did taxi past it.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Was just on an inbound to SLC where FAs came around individually warning passengers who had A to B connections. "Prepare yourself for a long walk," they were saying.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think they need a electric carts. Those people are walking too long. They could hurt with knees. They don't like a long walk. They don't like being lazy. They need a electric carts from security checkpoints. They will take you to the gate. No need worry about your flight.

Last edited by N830MH; Nov 6, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Old Nov 8, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Was just on an inbound to SLC where FAs came around individually warning passengers who had A to B connections. "Prepare yourself for a long walk," they were saying.
They are right.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Just waited in a plane conga line for 30 minutes upon landing in SLC. The aprons around A and B are dead ends until 2024. This was the very criticism of the old terminals. Going to be ugly once there are more flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.