Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
And unfortunately that means we're stuck with bus gates for quite a while, cause after this Tuesday, it will be almost 2 years before the next new gate comes online. SLC will be a fairly small airport for a while.
I was hoping bussing would be limited to CRJ-200 flights but with those on the way out I'm not so sure. If Delta wants to grow in SLC the next few years I'm sure they will, even if it means bussing for ERJ and A220 flights. There's no shortage of tarmac/runway capacity.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Delta has secured 6 gates in Concourse B. They have 25 gates in A for a total of 31 gates starting Tuesday. That will be down significantly from the ~45 they have available today.
Got it. Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
LAX will be the next SkyDeck to open, next year. JFK and ATL already have one
AUS as well and I think Delta did such an exceptional job on the design for that city.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed. There’s nothing I hate more than an airport bus. Be it between terminals, to/from the plane, to an off property rental car center, to a hotel. I hate every iteration of buses/shuttles.
You wouldn’t like traveling in Asia or Europe where buses/shuttles are very common as they utilize hard stands. Perhaps a Porsche, Benz, or a fancy car transfer to whisk you away whilst traveling in First Class?
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
You wouldn’t like traveling in Asia or Europe where buses/shuttles are very common as they utilize hard stands. Perhaps a Porsche, Benz, or a fancy car transfer to whisk you away whilst traveling in First Class?
People in Europe and Asia also tend to be a little more refined than us, so the experience is a bit less third world.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Councourse B opens tomorrow. I'll be through mid day and will post anything noteworthy.

Mountain Explorer and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Here's the temporary tunnel, until they build the central tunnel

Old Oct 26, 2020, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Here's the temporary tunnel, until they build the central tunnel
I think the central tunnel is built. There's just nothing at the other end.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I think the central tunnel is built. There's just nothing at the other end.
No, it goes right underneath D gates. They can't build it with concourse D still there (unless they use a tunnel boring machine, which would be ridiculous). Only the escalators are there for now
Old Oct 27, 2020, 8:52 am
Original Poster

As I suspected, other airlines’ reductions have allowed Delta more space in B. Alaska went from 2 gates to 1, American from 3 to 2, Southwest from ~7 to 4, and United 3 to 2. Delta has 7 gates in B. In addition, there are three common use gates that will be used by various airlines as needed. Gates B21 and B24 will serve as access points to a hard-stand operation for primarily regional aircraft.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Disappointed that RJs will revert to hardstand operations in Concourse B. I had assumed hoped there would be enough gates for the RJs in terminal B.

Fingers crossed that eventually RJs will operate from gates when the concourses are fully constructed and utilized. Let's have some RESPECT !

Jim
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jimquan
Disappointed that RJs will revert to hardstand operations in Concourse B. I had assumed hoped there would be enough gates for the RJs in terminal B.

Fingers crossed that eventually RJs will operate from gates when the concourses are fully constructed and utilized. Let's have some RESPECT !

Jim
Only half the gates are currently available, so hardstands are unavoidable. Once the other half opens, they will no longer be necessary
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: DL,US
When I flew thru on Sunday morning, I can tell you that the de-ice operation was nowhere near what it was in the old terminal. Specifically in a A321 we waited an hour and 40 minutes and then only had one truck. There was confusion moving the planes around too. Part of this might have been because it was October and maybe they didn't have staffing, but the snow was predicted well in advance.

Kind of soured the otherwise very nice experience in the new terminal. Reminds me very much of DTW but "mountain modern" in style. Which is a compliment. They just need to fix the operational issue!
Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PupManS
When I flew thru on Sunday morning, I can tell you that the de-ice operation was nowhere near what it was in the old terminal. Specifically in a A321 we waited an hour and 40 minutes and then only had one truck. There was confusion moving the planes around too. Part of this might have been because it was October and maybe they didn't have staffing, but the snow was predicted well in advance.

Kind of soured the otherwise very nice experience in the new terminal. Reminds me very much of DTW but "mountain modern" in style. Which is a compliment. They just need to fix the operational issue!
Doubt it has much to do with the new terminal.

Here are the bus gates. Not many really.

Old Oct 27, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...alt-lake-city/

The new concourse — which essentially handles all airlines except Delta’s hub operation — originally was not scheduled to open until next spring. Wyatt said the Austin-Okland Joint Venture that built it agreed to accelerate construction to open early.

The new concourse will significantly cut down what had been an extra-long walk to gates in the old airport for some passengers during the past six weeks since the new terminal opened.

“From the front door of the new terminal to the furthest tip of the old concourse was more than a mile,” with few moving walkways, Wyatt said. “Now it will be about a quarter mile. And there are moving walkways the entire way. It will be a lot nicer.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.