Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Admittedly, half a mile to walk from a lounge to the plane is pretty far. This would leave me pretty annoyed if I left the lounge and walked all the way to the gate only to find there was a 20-30 minute delay in boarding which the SkyClub agents neglected to notify me about and furthermore which is not noted on the DL app or departure board. I only mention this because it seems like something that happens all the time with DL and I absolutely hate arriving at the gate and then having to sit there for another 20 minutes before boarding really begins. If the lounge is 50 feet away from the gate it isn't a big deal, but if the lounge is .4/mile away, that really is a problem.
I just timed the walk from the SkyClub to A1. 6.5 minutes with all the moving walkways.

A crane is currently removing jet bridges from Concourse D in preparation for demolition. C Gates are being used for a few E175 flights. Ditto for F with CRJs.
N830MH likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I just timed the walk from the SkyClub to A1. 6.5 minutes with all the moving walkways.
That makes sense, moving walkways significantly increase speed.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by captaink
I've found the app is pretty good about letting you know when boarding has started - there's a push notification that goes out as soon as the first BP is scanned, and it's almost always a wheelchair/extra assistance pax, not F/Diamond boarding. That's a pretty good sign it's safe to leave the club (adjust as needed based on distance/walking pace).
Just be careful where you do this. It's fine in SLC, MSP, ATL, DTW, BOS, LAX, SFO, etc. and in fact most/all mainline DL airports in the USA. I'm not sure how well it works in tiny places with only DeltaConnection RJ service. Also, I've noticed that in some USA airports, including some DL hubs, the airport/lounge monitors switch to "boarding" status automatically at T-40/30 or whatever, depending on the size of the aircraft and regardless of whether there's an aircraft at the gate and a GA there to handle the boarding and regardless also of the load on the aircraft or the number of passengers who need to board in wheelchairs.

Once I almost missed a TATL flight from AMS because I was watching for boarding to start on my DL app. It was never going to update because the flight was under KLM airport control. I suspect the same problem would arise at CDG, ICN, EZE, and many other foreign airports.

YMMV.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just be careful where you do this. It's fine in SLC, MSP, ATL, DTW, BOS, LAX, SFO, etc. and in fact most/all mainline DL airports in the USA. I'm not sure how well it works in tiny places with only DeltaConnection RJ service. Also, I've noticed that in some USA airports, including some DL hubs, the airport/lounge monitors switch to "boarding" status automatically at T-40/30 or whatever, depending on the size of the aircraft and regardless of whether there's an aircraft at the gate and a GA there to handle the boarding and regardless also of the load on the aircraft or the number of passengers who need to board in wheelchairs.

Once I almost missed a TATL flight from AMS because I was watching for boarding to start on my DL app. It was never going to update because the flight was under KLM airport control. I suspect the same problem would arise at CDG, ICN, EZE, and many other foreign airports.

YMMV.
This caution is legitimate but I believe it only applies to AMS and CDG - these are the only two airports I'm aware of where Delta cedes handling of their flights to a partner's IT systems. Most international outstations are operated by contract personnel using Delta systems.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captaink
I've found the app is pretty good about letting you know when boarding has started - there's a push notification that goes out as soon as the first BP is scanned, and it's almost always a wheelchair/extra assistance pax, not F/Diamond boarding. That's a pretty good sign it's safe to leave the club (adjust as needed based on distance/walking pace).
Is this different from how the displays in the gatehouse operate? I ask this because I’ve routinely noticed the gate area displays (not FIDS but the actual DL displays at each gate) will show ‘boarding’ long before the flight actually boards in some situations.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I enjoy a nice walk before getting on a flight. Particularly if it's a long haul trip.
It's good for your health- get the blood circulating a bit and reduce the risk of things like pulmonary embolisms that can otherwise be helped along by being stuck in a seat for long periods of time.
cmd320, MCO Flyer and dcadwell like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I enjoy a nice walk before getting on a flight. Particularly if it's a long haul trip.
It's also nice to take a walk after the flight as well, especially to burn off all the processed carbs DL is now serving instead of meals in F.
dmarge18 and dcadwell like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
I think the walking distances seem more pronounced now just because it's a long straightaway vs the old short concourses to main hallway. The difference between the new club and A1 vs the old club and the far E or F gates is a tenth of a mile. Sure, I'm not looking forward to a future A1 to A50(ish) connection when A-east is complete, but at least I can hydrate at the club along the way.
DLASflyer likes this.

Last edited by TuxTom; Sep 23, 2020 at 11:21 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by TuxTom
I think the walking distances seem more pronounced now just because it's a long straightaway vs the old short concourses to main hallway. The difference between the new club and A1 vs the old club and the far E or F gates is a tenth of a mile. Sure, I'm not looking forward to a future A1 to A50(ish) connection when A-east is complete, but at least I can hydrate at the club along the way.
In a few years, you will see A-East concourse is complete in 2024 or 2025. You can stay at entire concourse A. There is more concessions, retail shops at A-East concourse. It's coming soon.

That makes sense, moving walkways significantly increase speed.
No doubt! Increase speed is good. Isn't not too bad at all. Just be careful. Don't play the sidewalks.

Originally Posted by DLASflyer

A crane is currently removing jet bridges from Concourse D in preparation for demolition. C Gates are being used for a few E175 flights. Ditto for F with CRJs.
Good to know! Please posts a photos at old concourse D, C, F. Please do play a video for me.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
No doubt! Increase speed is good. Isn't not too bad at all. Just be careful. Don't play the sidewalks.
I ordinarily turn my roll-aboard around and push it aggressively in front of my as sort of a battering ram to clear out all the folks who have decided to stand to the left on the moving walkway.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I ordinarily turn my roll-aboard around and push it aggressively in front of my as sort of a battering ram to clear out all the folks who have decided to stand to the left on the moving walkway.
Just please be careful not to do this in the UK, Japan, and other places that drive on the wrong side of the street.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just please be careful not to do this in the UK, Japan, and other places that drive on the wrong side of the street.
Valid point. Though interestingly the escalator etiquette on the Underground in London is to stand to the right as well.
ryw likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by TuxTom

Have fun, they seem to have had half of the club closed still. Must be used to working in that closet they used to call the Skyclub. Why have two bars if one is closed? Took over 25 min to get a drink today.

Was really expecting greatness considering how terrible the previous terminal was overall. But parking at A4 and lugging my max hand baggage allowance was just a nightmare lol.

Will continue using SEA for my west connections as often as I possibly can.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Remy Cavalieri
Have fun, they seem to have had half of the club closed still. Must be used to working in that closet they used to call the Skyclub. Why have two bars if one is closed? Took over 25 min to get a drink today.

Was really expecting greatness considering how terrible the previous terminal was overall. But parking at A4 and lugging my max hand baggage allowance was just a nightmare lol.

Will continue using SEA for my west connections as often as I possibly can.
The wait today for a drink was much better than it was on Monday.

As another reference point I walked from the club to A2 in 7 minutes not using the moving sidewalk. I would consider my pace as average.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must be used to working in that closet they used to call the Skyclub.
Hahaha, wouldn't want folks to have too much space too soon.

Why have two bars if one is closed? Took over 25 min to get a drink today.
Now that is completely unacceptable. Was the bar just that busy or was the bartender not present? Either way, please write to DL and notify them about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.