Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
All the resorts are limiting capacity this winter. So if the airlines are increasing capacity to the resorts and the resorts are decreasing capacity then, ummm, something's not gonna work.
SJC ORD LDR and DLASflyer like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Demolition is well underway to make room for the rest of Concourse A for Delta. Still going to be awhile though before enough gates are finished.
https://twitter.com/slcairport/status/1316421282976673802
Yes! They will extended the entire concourse A for Delta. It will completed in 2024 or 2025 during at that time.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
The fences are down around Concourse B with opening 9 days away. Bus gates are being set up at the east end. Looks like at least three different ramps/bus boarding zones. This suggests to me the focus 2020-2024 will be buiding out more of A for Delta rather than any more B. I'm optimistic Delta will get some jet bridge gates in B while United, American, etc. are running reduced schedules. Before A opened, Delta was sharing two gates in E with Alaska.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre
All the resorts are limiting capacity this winter. So if the airlines are increasing capacity to the resorts and the resorts are decreasing capacity then, ummm, something's not gonna work.
It's not just about skiing. Delta is running a record number of mainline SLC flights into JAC right now, normally the slowest time of year. I was on one yesterday and it was full. There is no skiing but the valley is packed.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 11:00 am

The fences are down around Concourse B with opening 9 days away. Bus gates are being set up at the east end. Looks like at least three different ramps/bus boarding zones. This suggests to me the focus 2020-2024 will be buiding out more of A for Delta rather than any more B. I'm optimistic Delta will get some jet bridge gates in B while United, American, etc. are running reduced schedules. Before A opened, Delta was sharing two gates in E with Alaska.
I think it's true that A gates are more valuable than B, both due to their proximity to the terminal and due to the importance of DL at SLC. I suspect the rest of 2020 is going to be all about demolition, everything gets easier when you have space to work
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's good to know! I hope they complete construction in 2024. Hopefully they will extended the entire concourse B for next few years or so. They won't know for sure. They still have to be demolished the old concourse and terminals.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
It's not just about skiing. Delta is running a record number of mainline SLC flights into JAC right now, normally the slowest time of year. I was on one yesterday and it was full. There is no skiing but the valley is packed.
I agree.......i was on the SLC-JAC flight that arrived at 2:49.....was shocked how full it was....which flight were you on?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
I agree.......i was on the SLC-JAC flight that arrived at 2:49.....was shocked how full it was....which flight were you on?
I was supposed to be on that one but missed my connection and caught the next one. There were others on the same inbound who had to spend the night in SLC because JAC flights were running so full.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

In other news, SLC has posted signs all over apologizing for the lack of available concessions due to "reasons out of our control." Virtually everything in the old airport is closed and the new airport only has about a third of shops/restaurants open. Only a few appear to be actively under construction. The rest are walled off apparently waiting for the pandemic to pass.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
National parks have become more popular than ever due to the pandemic and Jackson Hole is the gateway to two of the most well known of them, Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Hotels there have been almost completely full, especially as these are the last couple of weeks before they go to full-on winter mode.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
National parks have become more popular than ever due to the pandemic and Jackson Hole is the gateway to two of the most well known of them, Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Hotels there have been almost completely full, especially as these are the last couple of weeks before they go to full-on winter mode.
I expect American, Delta, United, Southwest, Alaska, JetBlue and Frontier will all be in on the JAC gold mine by next summer (only the big three right now.)
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:13 pm

In other news, SLC has posted signs all over apologizing for the lack of available concessions due to "reasons out of our control." Virtually everything in the old airport is closed and the new airport only has about a third of shops/restaurants open. Only a few appear to be actively under construction. The rest are walled off apparently waiting for the pandemic to pass.
Ya, most likely the old airport restaurants shut down during the heart of the pandemic, and then saw no point in reopening with demolition trucks sitting on the horizon.

And probably many of the new restaurants don't think it makes sense to hire employees under these conditions
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I expect American, Delta, United, Southwest, Alaska, JetBlue and Frontier will all be in on the JAC gold mine by next summer (only the big three right now.)
Yes, I doubt that. If they ever consider it. I'm sure they will add more new city for next few years or so. You do realize that. Right now, they don't have built a new hotel. Hopefully in a few years. They will be build more new hotel rooms.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Can’t wait for the rest of the old concourses to go. A makes the F terminal seem like a walk of shame.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Can’t wait for the rest of the old concourses to go
Just 8 more days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.