Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2020, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Yikes, restrooms are closed in Concourse B. I wonder if it has to do with frozen pipes. Seemed awfully cold in there earlier today

Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Yikes, restrooms are closed in Concourse B. I wonder if it has to do with frozen pipes. Seemed awfully cold in there earlier today
Open now
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Was in slc this morning around 9am. All coffee outlets had massive lines. Skyclub boarding pass readers didn't work. Skyclub coffee machines were also inop. Walking to the gate is long...moving sidewalks are not long or frequent enough. Did not go to B Concourse but wow, it is a hike. If this is how things are working when the airport is at low capacity, I can't imagine how slow service will be when its normal. I thought jfk was bad!
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by p100a
Was in slc this morning around 9am. All coffee outlets had massive lines. Skyclub boarding pass readers didn't work. Skyclub coffee machines were also inop. Walking to the gate is long...moving sidewalks are not long or frequent enough. Did not go to B Concourse but wow, it is a hike. If this is how things are working when the airport is at low capacity, I can't imagine how slow service will be when its normal. I thought jfk was bad!
Concourse B has a temporary setup for walking to/from till rest of airport is built.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:34 am
Original Poster

The concessions situation sucks. I wonder at what point SLC Department of Airports can terminate leases and offer them up to businesses which actually intend to build out and open. Seems like only about 30 percent of spaces are operating at an airport with over 90 percent of normal flights. Not a good combo.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:41 am

Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:20 pm

The concessions situation sucks. I wonder at what point SLC Department of Airports can terminate leases and offer them up to businesses which actually intend to build out and open. Seems like only about 30 percent of spaces are operating at an airport with over 90 percent of normal flights. Not a good combo.
I wonder what the Covid laws are in UT. Here in California, indoor dining is capped at 25%. Most restaurants have set up outdoor dining in their parking lots, etc. Dining on the tarmac is a bit tricker lol, so seems like the airport restaurants would have their arms tied. If they are capped at 25%, they likely can't operate profitably.

I'm not debating covid restrictions! Please don't go there!

I'm simply saying that if the restrictions in UT are similar, it's understandable why the restaurants don't want to open if they can't make money.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The only restriction UT is placing on restaurants is that they have to be setup in such a way that social distancing can be observed. Plenty of fast food and sit down restaurants here are open for dine-in.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I wonder what the Covid laws are in UT. Here in California, indoor dining is capped at 25%. Most restaurants have set up outdoor dining in their parking lots, etc. Dining on the tarmac is a bit tricker lol, so seems like the airport restaurants would have their arms tied. If they are capped at 25%, they likely can't operate profitably.

I'm not debating covid restrictions! Please don't go there!

I'm simply saying that if the restrictions in UT are similar, it's understandable why the restaurants don't want to open if they can't make money.
Not a government mandate issue. The majority of concession spaces in the new SLC aren't even built out yet. Construction on the airport continued the entire time unabated. Unfortunately many companies that signed leases to open stores have simply decided not to spend the capital with the Covid situation. I am sure the Department of Airports is frustrated. They likely aren't collecting much rent and travelers have few options. As I said above, it sucks. There's not a single quick service restaurant in Concourse B as an example.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Nov 9, 2020 at 4:18 pm
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:48 pm

Will there be a sc in B? Seems outrageous to have to trek all the way over to A SC when you have a typical 1 hour connection.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:51 pm

Will there be a sc in B? Seems outrageous to have to trek all the way over to A SC when you have a typical 1 hour connection.
Once construction is finished, all DL flights will be in A. B will be for other airlines
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
No issues connecting through SLC today. All plumbing appeared to be functioning, self check-in and coffee/espresso machines in the club were working, traffic in and out of the gates was flowing smoothly.

That said, as I was walking from the club down to A2, I was wondering if they will regret not planning for a people mover/tram system like DTW. People will not be happy when they have to run for a tight connection end to end in A once it's fully built out. Hopefully, once the bus gate era is over in B, they can redeploy the busses for a three stop route along A to move people from end to end.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TuxTom
I was wondering if they will regret not planning for a people mover/tram system like DTW. People will not be happy when they have to run for a tight connection end to end in A once it's fully built out. Hopefully, once the bus gate era is over in B, they can redeploy the busses for a three stop route along A to move people from end to end.
The second A-B tunnel is being built to accommodate a future automated people mover. It probably will not be added until Concourse C is needed though.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
The second A-B tunnel is being built to accommodate a future automated people mover. It probably will not be added until Concourse C is needed though.
I'm talking about just concourse A when the eastern half is complete. As I understand, Delta will operate entirely out of A and all other airlines will be in B so most people will not be walking between A and B for connections. This was discussed a bit upthread, but when the eastern half is complete, the A concourse will be over 3/4 of a mile end to end. DTW A is a little bit longer, but there you have the tram to move you from end to end. Even MSP C has a tram opposite the gates, and that is only a 1/2 mile long. Without a tram in A, I think DL will have a lot of unhappy customers running from one end to the other to make their connection.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 1:12 pm

Jfk T4 is almost 3/4 mile long with few moving sidewalks.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.