Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold

SLC has announced the opening date for the new terminal and concourses: Tuesday, September 15th, 2020. Will be awesome!
wilfordhall likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I can't help but think the title implies a new airport and not a new terminal.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I can't help but think the title implies a new airport and not a new terminal.
Given that once the project is complete, no trace of the existing structure will remain, I think “new airport” is a fair description - even if the airfield itself will remain unchanged.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by BenA
Given that once the project is complete, no trace of the existing structure will remain, I think “new airport” is a fair description - even if the airfield itself will remain unchanged.
As far as I'm concerned, if it's the same location, it's the same airport.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:14 am

When an "airport" opens what does that mean? The runway? The place where you sit and watch the runway? The place where you take a pee?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
They're calling LGA a new airport and that's the same space.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
MCI, MSY, SLC, LGA. New building on same land = new terminal but same airport. They can call it what they want, but it’s simply a new terminal.
DEN is a nice example of a ‘new airport’ as we all understand the term.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by joeyE
MCI, MSY, SLC, LGA. New building on same land = new terminal but same airport. They can call it what they want, but it’s simply a new terminal.
DEN is a nice example of a ‘new airport’ as we all understand the term.
This is sort of a dumb thing to argue about, but there's no way anyone could look at what's going on at LGA and conclude it's anything but a new airport.

They are building a new airport literally around the old one, in the same relatively tiny space, with zero service reductions/disruptions. Sure, there's a lot of construction annoyance and traffic and dust, but it's a pretty remarkable feat.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Personally I think a "new airport" implies a "new airfield" in a completely different location, ex. when Denver International Airport replaced Stapleton, that was a new airport. In ATL when the current midfield terminal opened, I don't think it was billed as a "new airport" but just a new terminal, and the old and new terminals had completely different footprints and no facilities or buildings in common.

Of course there are counter-arguments like the perpetually and embarrassingly delayed BER. It overlaps with the current SXF airfield and will even use some of SXF's runway and taxiways, but it's being billed as a "new airport." To make things really confusing, they're talking about keeping SXF open even though it was supposed to be shuttered. I don't how or why they'd be considered two different airports since they'll share an airfield. It should be two different terminals of the same airport, like the situation at BCN.

But to me SLC is just getting a new terminal building.
Boraxo, CPMaverick and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE
They can call it what they want, but it’s simply a new terminal.
And completely new parking facilities, a new consolidated rental car facility, a new central utility plant and a new train station.
mendezka likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
This is sort of a dumb thing to argue about....
This...this is what we do here...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by DLASflyer

And completely new parking facilities, a new consolidated rental car facility, a new central utility plant and a new train station.
Just a rehab - like a heavy check.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:45 am

I would have no trouble saying SLC is a new airport.
My Uncle knocked down my grandparents old house, and built a bigger house in the exact same spot (new foundation entirely). I would say that is a new house even though he didn't change the driveway.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I need to show my ex gf this thread, she claims all the time she has new boobs but they are in the same place just remodeled.
oopsz, HDQDD, kop84 and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I think this terminology all started with IND because of what happened at DTW. Detroit was advertised as a new terminal and some people, including me, didn't really understand the scope of what they were doing. IND was always advertised as a new airport.
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.