Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
So. Much. Walking.

I connected there earlier this week: wow, some long walks. Not just in the tunnel, but each concourse. Why is the SkyClub at the end, vs the middle of the concourse, closer to the tunnel?
Old May 3, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I connected there earlier this week: wow, some long walks. Not just in the tunnel, but each concourse. Why is the SkyClub at the end, vs the middle of the concourse, closer to the tunnel?
The airport is only half built. When the other half is finished in a couple of years, the SkyClub will be smack dab in the middle of the DL concourse.

Also, the current tunnel will be closed and a brand new tunnel will be built right beside the SkyClub. That last point isn't particularly relevant tho, since all DL flights will be in Concourse A, so SkyClub folk won't be using the tunnel anyway.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
The airport is only half built. When the other half is finished in a couple of years, the SkyClub will be smack dab in the middle of the DL concourse.

Also, the current tunnel will be closed and a brand new tunnel will be built right beside the SkyClub. That last point isn't particularly relevant tho, since all DL flights will be in Concourse A, so SkyClub folk won't be using the tunnel anyway.
Given that the finished portion of concourse A is sized for mainline and widebody aircraft, is the plan for the eastern portion to have more of an RJ-optimized gate layout at the far end? Or will there be enough gates that they can use nearly any gate for anything from a CR2 to an A330?

The reason I ask is that having all the RJ departures at one end of A may not meaningfully cut down on the walking distances compared to the current A <-> B connections on DL.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by captaink
Given that the finished portion of concourse A is sized for mainline and widebody aircraft, is the plan for the eastern portion to have more of an RJ-optimized gate layout at the far end? Or will there be enough gates that they can use nearly any gate for anything from a CR2 to an A330?

The reason I ask is that having all the RJ departures at one end of A may not meaningfully cut down on the walking distances compared to the current A <-> B connections on DL.
The other half is mostly symmetric. The idea is flexible, future-proof gates that can accommodate many plane types. The old airport had dozens of CR2-only gates which became completely useless as DL's operation grew. The new airport has none of those.

There are several widebody gates, but most of the gates can't accommodate an A330. Planning for the future is one thing, but it's pretty hard to envision a scenario where DL's operation at SLC becomes a mostly widebody operation.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Latest updates

From the SLC airport advisory board:

Concourse B bus gate hold capacity is an issue. Temporary solution is they are removing some of the basement baggage system and opening a pax hold room on the ground level:

List of concessions planning to open:

Preview of layout for A East (all Delta gates):

Updated schedule:

Snowcat likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Also the latest plan has Delta getting all of B-East once it opens in addition to all of A-East. The first 4 Delta gates in A-East are now scheduled to open in May 2023 with the rest in November 2023. Delta will eventually have a total of 55 gates with other airlines getting 19 gates plus 4 common use gates.

Old May 17, 2021, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Old May 17, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM
Wow, that’s pretty neat to see. Especially the stark contrast from active construction site to finished product.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
So I dropped off my son for a flight on Sunday. When we arrived, the security line was small. By the time I left, the security line had stretched from the line area, looped around the east end of the baggage claim area and about 2/3rds of the entire length of the baggage claim area on the other side. Has this been an ongoing issue? The wait time had to be horrendous.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Snowcat
So I dropped off my son for a flight on Sunday. When we arrived, the security line was small. By the time I left, the security line had stretched from the line area, looped around the east end of the baggage claim area and about 2/3rds of the entire length of the baggage claim area on the other side. Has this been an ongoing issue? The wait time had to be horrendous.
No, not usual at all. Must have been a security breach or something strange going on. What exactly was in your son's bags??? (just kidding)

The airport does have some issues (mostly due to the fact that half of it hasn't been built yet) but the TSA area is complete and has been very smooth everytime I've been there.

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; May 17, 2021 at 8:49 pm
Old May 18, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Took my first flight out of the new terminal yesterday, and the walks are definitely longer than what I was expecting. Luckily the gate was changed from A3 to A16 before I got there.
Old May 18, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Snowcat
My girlfriend flew last Wednesday and noted that the non-Precheck line was incredibly long like this too.

Last edited by danielvdm; May 18, 2021 at 10:23 am Reason: Typo
Old May 18, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by danielvdm
My girlfriend flew last Wednesday and noted that the non-Precheck line was incredibly long like this too.
Saw an article yesterday that the line in ATL (non-PreChcek) stretched into the atrium for the main checkpoint...
Old May 18, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Saw an article yesterday that the line in ATL (non-PreChcek) stretched into the atrium for the main checkpoint...
I always found ATL to have some of the worst TSA checkpoints out there. It always seemed to be packed.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by cmd320
I always found ATL to have some of the worst TSA checkpoints out there. It always seemed to be packed.
This is a very fair statement. I do like the new PreCheck-only south, though.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.