Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Remy Cavalieri
Took over 25 min to get a drink today.
Every food and beverage outlet in the new SLC is completely slammed during the banks. Concourse B isn't going to be able to open the way things are now because the line for Beans & Brews will block the entrance to the tunnel
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Now that is completely unacceptable. Was the bar just that busy or was the bartender not present? Either way, please write to DL and notify them about this.
Bartender told me its because they dont have the traffic for it. My real assumption is the lack of hiring staff due to COVID19. But that just leads to a rabbit hole of airlines deminishing service cuz of this. Remarkably, the section closed is the part with TVs, and tonight is an NFL night. I'd assume some people are less satisfied than I am with it since I dont have any players on either team tonight. Haha
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by jztelemark
As another reference point I walked from the club to A2 in 7 minutes not using the moving sidewalk. I would consider my pace as average.
The walk itself really isnt terrible, but when the east side is done I see no difference in DTW and SLC. It should have had an underground train implimented imo but that just isnt nor was it ever a part of the plan here. Note that I was carrying the max amount of hand luggage, none of which was lightly packed. I am a young, not out of shape guy, and I found this to be quite tedious. But like I said, my western connections will gladly be booked only via SEA from here on so that wont be an issue ever.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Every food and beverage outlet in the new SLC is completely slammed during the banks. Concourse B isn't going to be able to open the way things are now because the line for Beans & Brews will block the entrance to the tunnel
Right! Not yet. They will opens new concourse B on October 27, 2020. All airlines will move to new concourse B. After they closed all old concourse and demolishing.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Bartender told me its because they dont have the traffic for it. My real assumption is the lack of hiring staff due to COVID19. But that just leads to a rabbit hole of airlines deminishing service cuz of this. Remarkably, the section closed is the part with TVs, and tonight is an NFL night. I'd assume some people are less satisfied than I am with it since I dont have any players on either team tonight. Haha
Interesting. This is reminiscent of the F concourse club at ATL with the lounge being packed and half the seating being closed. I don’t really understand the logic there.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I am a young, not out of shape guy, and I found this to be quite tedious.
If a 0.4 mile walk (with many moving sidewalks) is that tedious with carry-on luggage, then I'm sorry to say, the bolded text above is just not true.

Then again, I don't really believe this one either:

Took over 25 min to get a drink today.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
If a 0.4 mile walk (with many moving sidewalks) is that tedious with carry-on luggage, then I'm sorry to say, the bolded text above is just not true.

Then again, I don't really believe this one either:
Okay youve either never been to SLC or you cannot afford skyclub access because 25 minutes is freaky fast for SLC on a drink compared to old times. As for my hand luggage, being 3 boxes full of stuff as im moving house to house yes it was difficult considering it weighed more than me and SLC has no carts. Im not going to lug 3 boxes onto a walkway and ruin everyone elses day either its called not being an A$$. Something you should learn before your next greyhound trip across country.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:38 am

Have fun, they seem to have had half of the club closed still. Must be used to working in that closet they used to call the Skyclub. Why have two bars if one is closed? Took over 25 min to get a drink today.
Hate to say it, but this is exactly what I saw on my pass through also. Crazy long line for the bar, one bartender, the other bar closed. I was going to have a drink but quickly decided I didn’t have enough time. And the closed seating area was very irritating.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
The walk itself really isnt terrible, but when the east side is done I see no difference in DTW and SLC. It should have had an underground train implimented imo but that just isnt nor was it ever a part of the plan here. Note that I was carrying the max amount of hand luggage, none of which was lightly packed. I am a young, not out of shape guy, and I found this to be quite tedious. But like I said, my western connections will gladly be booked only via SEA from here on so that wont be an issue ever.
I've had DL connection flights out of A13/14 at SEA, which is just as long a walk from the SC as the new SLC terminal. Airports are big and sometimes you get stuck at a far gate. SLC is still the much bigger hub for Western connections so you're really only inconveniencing yourself by limiting your options.

Okay youve either never been to SLC or you cannot afford skyclub access because 25 minutes is freaky fast for SLC on a drink compared to old times. As for my hand luggage, being 3 boxes full of stuff as im moving house to house yes it was difficult considering it weighed more than me and SLC has no carts. Im not going to lug 3 boxes onto a walkway and ruin everyone elses day either its called not being an A$$. Something you should learn before your next greyhound trip across country.
I pass through SLC just about every time I fly on DL, and I never came anywhere close to waiting 25 minutes for a drink at the old club. Maybe 10-15 minutes in line at the busiest of times, but never any longer than that. I could certainly see how 10 minutes in real life can turn into 25 minutes in internet outrage though.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TuxTom
I pass through SLC just about every time I fly on DL, and I never came anywhere close to waiting 25 minutes for a drink at the old club. Maybe 10-15 minutes in line at the busiest of times, but never any longer than that. I could certainly see how 10 minutes in real life can turn into 25 minutes in internet outrage though.
I mean, in fairness even if I were standing at the bar for ten minutes waiting for the bartender to make me a drink, I would deem that completely unacceptable service in a SkyClub. We're not talking about a packed downtown bar on a Saturday night or anything like that.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta, United
For the locals, I just had a conversation with the operations manager about parking. He noted that soon it will be possible to walk from the Economy lot to the terminal. There is still some reconfiguration to be done before the sidewalk can be put in but look for it later in the fall or early winter. Being able to walk was something I asked for in an early meeting with airport officials and got a mixed response. There will also be a walking lot to the east of the garage that again is not quite ready.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by TuxTom
Ha ha!! Perhaps with everyone needing to tailgate before their flight, there is more demand for drinks on the ground than anticipated. I could never imagine waiting that long for a drink - if I was that desperate that I ever waited that long, it would be a sign that I need some help. The worst wait I have ever had for a skyclub drink was 5 minutes at JFK T2 and that was with a huge and disorderly crowd of people and only 2 bartenders working. Even with 1 bartender, I don't see how a 25 minute wait is possible with the limited demand at SLC. Even when there was standing room only in the old SLC skyclub, I don't think there was ever more than 3-4 people in line ahead of me.
Mountain Explorer and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Situation
Ha ha!! Perhaps with everyone needing to tailgate before their flight, there is more demand for drinks on the ground than anticipated. I could never imagine waiting that long for a drink - if I was that desperate that I ever waited that long, it would be a sign that I need some help. The worst wait I have ever had for a skyclub drink was 5 minutes at JFK T2 and that was with a huge and disorderly crowd of people and only 2 bartenders working. Even with 1 bartender, I don't see how a 25 minute wait is possible with the limited demand at SLC. Even when there was standing room only in the old SLC skyclub, I don't think there was ever more than 3-4 people in line ahead of me.
I didn’t think about that angle but that’s very valid. With no service on board, I could certainly see most doing a pre-board tailgate in the SC.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Okay youve either never been to SLC or you cannot afford skyclub access because 25 minutes is freaky fast for SLC on a drink compared to old times. As for my hand luggage, being 3 boxes full of stuff as im moving house to house yes it was difficult considering it weighed more than me and SLC has no carts.
Three boxes and it weighs more than you do? How is that possible to be carry on? That's one more than the two item limit and it greatly exceeds the weight limit for an overhead bin.

Im not going to lug 3 boxes onto a walkway and ruin everyone elses day either its called not being an A$$. Something you should learn before your next greyhound trip across country.
I see you're new on FT. Don't be rude.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I see you're new on FT. Don't be rude.
In fairness, had OP lugged his/her large boxes onto the moving walkway and I were stuck behind, I'd consider that pretty rude. I'm glad some people have some self-awareness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.