Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
that observation is not in any way limited to SLC
I just love when people think a moving walkway is a device designed to alleviate their need to walk 50 yards. What level of lazy does one have to reach to arrive at that conclusion?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Ignore--dupe.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
that observation is not in any way limited to SLC
Most definitely not.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
You'll be glad to know the moving walkways between C and D have been literally sawed in half to make way for the bridge connector.
Not literally sawed in half
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I just found today did not read all the posts it’s not a new airport just rebuilding everything on a different side of the current location. I thought it was a completely new airport like DEN. Even the headline of this thread is misleading using SLC new airport opening Sept 15. Other aviation site headlines use SLC new airport too. It’s great what they are doing.
It's not even a new airport like PIT. It's similar to the situation for DL at JFK T3 and T4 (but not T2 so far). I think of LGA and PHX being similar situations to each other in that an old airport building was modernized and expanded but without tearing down parts of the former airport terminal. I'm not sure how I would categorize CVG's changes.

BTW, to me people movers are the strange vehicles at IAD that once were futuristic. The flat escalators that one sees in airports are moving walkways, which I guess is the term I'd use for the sloped ones without stairs also, like when you go down to the trains at AMS and IIRC LHR.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 14, 2020 at 11:30 pm
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
No surprise, the Fly Delta app is not properly showing terminals/gates for tomorrow. Shows Delta 2020 departing from gate C13, Terminal 2.
Originally Posted by amanuensis
The gate assignment could be correct (but obviously not the "Terminal 2" part. For about six weeks, the C gates will still be among the parts of the old airport still being used.
I've tried searching multiple flights to multiple destinations (JFK, BOI, LAX, LAS, ATL) on multiple times during the day and can't find any flights showing A tomorrow. Are there ANY flights leaving A on "opening day" or do all pax have to make the trek from the shiny new terminal to the decaying C and D concourses?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I've tried searching multiple flights to multiple destinations (JFK, BOI, LAX, LAS, ATL) on multiple times during the day and can't find any flights showing A tomorrow. Are there ANY flights leaving A on "opening day" or do all pax have to make the trek from the shiny new terminal to the decaying C and D concourses?
Most likely DL's computer sees concourse A as closed (which is correct) and therefore isn't assigning any flights there. I assume that sometime during the night, the concourse will be opened up in the computer and the gates will be re-assigned. Concourse A should be in full operation tomorrow
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Most likely DL's computer sees concourse A as closed (which is correct) and therefore isn't assigning any flights there. I assume that sometime during the night, the concourse will be opened up in the computer and the gates will be re-assigned. Concourse A should be in full operation tomorrow
Sure enough, both of my mainline flights today have been updated to arrive and depart out of the new Concourse A.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
TPG review of new SLC SkyClub

TPG has posted a review of the new SLC SkyClub with lots of pics:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...alt-lake-city/
Old Sep 15, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
TPG has posted a review of the new SLC SkyClub with lots of pics:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...alt-lake-city/
Impressive!

Year-round SkyDeck
Old Sep 15, 2020, 7:13 am

It's open! Off to a good start, 4 mins early

DLASflyer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Every once in a while there will be a mainline flight out of Gate F1 or F3, but F is mostly RJ for DL and I assume these flights will shift to hardstand ops.
My A220 flight from SJC parked, I think, at Gate 11 in Concourse F. It was a long walk to the former SkyClub from there.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport Executive Director Bill Wyatt was among those who spent a long night shutting down the old facilities — which closed about midnight — and quickly opening up a shiny new terminal, concourse and garage a few hours later. Another concourse will open on Oct. 27.

“It was like a symphony watching all the planning come together and teams making everything happen quickly,” he said, including painting new stripes on the airport road, changing all the directional signs and moving aircraft over to the new concourse. “It took a year and half just to plan all that.”

Wyatt said a few small technical glitches appeared here and there. “But there was nothing that was a show-stopper.”

For example, John Collins of Wellsville, arrived in a taxi about 4 a.m. as some of the final switch-overs were happening, and his cab driver was confused by the changed road configuration. “He had to ask directions. But someone was there to help.” Collins also said he had to get used to finding his way in the new airport, “but I just followed the signs and it was fine.”

Wyatt said the airport “plans to go overboard for a while” in having plenty of extra people to help passengers find their way around. He adds the new roads — including an elevated road to the drop-off area — are safer and easier to understand now than the recent often-changing lanes amid construction of recent years.

Wyatt said a silver lining of the pandemic is that smaller crowds made the transition easier as everyone started using new systems ranging from new-generation security scanners to the seven miles of new conveyor belts for baggage.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...ake-citys-new/
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Made it to the spectacular new SkyClub. I'll have no problem with long connections now that we have a SkyDeck here to enjoy. I do find it a bit odd that there is a high wall on the east side of the deck, blocking the direct view into the Wasatch, but you can still get great views to the north and south, even with todays haze.

Operationally, as far as I can tell, things are running smoothly. We did have a longer than usual wait for our gate at A15 (20+ minutes) but that could have been for any number of reasons.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Posting this from the new SLC. What a wonderful gateway for Utah and the Intermountain West. It feels a LOT like DTW. There are tons of Delta employees here from all across the system making sure everything runs smoothly.

The only Delta flights going out of F and D so far are SkyWest RJs. No sign of hard stands yet.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.