Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
I think it's up to the passenger to plan better.

If you book a flight within a week, and it's an international flight and you don't have a valid passport, that's your problem - not Delta's.

I don't see why this responsibility to comply with stated rules is any different.
​​​​​​Mom/Dad/Uncle John - how dare you die on a moment's notice? How am I supposed to plan in advance when you go and drop dead without warning.

You can get a passport in a day or two if needed but as you don't need one for a domestic flight, that shouldn't have any bearing on traveling domestically with a service (or ESA) animal. Two different things, two different regulations.

And last minute travel shouldn't mean you don't have to comply with the rules to justify the animal. If the only thing you cannot comply with is the 48 hours notice, do you really want to be the airline that denies travel for that reason and tried in the court of public opinion because someone didn't get to see their dying mother? I would imagine DL has some sort of process should last minute travel be needed. If I'm wrong, I'm sure it won't be long before that court convenes.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:31 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
The divisiveness of this issue makes me sad. There’s a reasonable middle ground in the social contract.
In reality it's not that divisive. It's a very small group of people who are really, really vocal. You can see in this thread that many are not very well informed on the issue but still have extremely strong opinions and basically just make stuff up to fill in their knowledge gaps.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by justhere
Mom/Dad/Uncle John - how dare you die on a moment's notice? How am I supposed to plan in advance when you go and drop dead without warning.

You can get a passport in a day or two if needed but as you don't need one for a domestic flight, that shouldn't have any bearing on traveling domestically with a service (or ESA) animal. Two different things, two different regulations.

And last minute travel shouldn't mean you don't have to comply with the rules to justify the animal. If the only thing you cannot comply with is the 48 hours notice, do you really want to be the airline that denies travel for that reason and tried in the court of public opinion because someone didn't get to see their dying mother? I would imagine DL has some sort of process should last minute travel be needed. If I'm wrong, I'm sure it won't be long before that court convenes.
It's called common sense and making a Judgement call.Hence why I believe Delta has Red Coats, for when the rank and file can't make a judgment call or are too afraid to.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
It's a very small group of people who are really, really vocal.
Sure it is. And a very small percentage of people have actually contracted the flu. Terming it an "outbreak" is total media-driven hysteria.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​Mom/Dad/Uncle John - how dare you die on a moment's notice? How am I supposed to plan in advance when you go and drop dead without warning.

Options for Mom/Dad/Uncle John:

-Fly a different airline
-Drive/take a train/take a bus/charter your own plane
-Fly with a friend or paid professional on Delta who can help you get to your destination safely without your ESA

Flying on Delta with your ESA within 48 hours notice can't be the ONLY way to accomplish something. That would make Delta a utility, basically.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by pvn
... it's a very small group of people who are really, really vocal.
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by pvn
... ([Last edited by Canarsie; Today at 11:47 am Reason: Consolidation.)

Oh, the irony!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Options for Mom/Dad/Uncle John:

-Fly a different airline
-Drive/take a train/take a bus/charter your own plane
-Fly with a friend or paid professional on Delta who can help you get to your destination safely without your ESA

Flying on Delta with your ESA within 48 hours notice can't be the ONLY way to accomplish something. That would make Delta a utility, basically.
Your post that I quoted implied that people would know in advance that they need to travel. I was pointing out that people don't always know in advance. However, advance or not, a different airline may not be possible or available at the last minute but if it is, sure that's an option. Car/bus/train might not be quick enough. Charter your own plane? We don't have to agree but at least let's be reasonable in what we suggest. The majority of people aren't in a position to charter their own plane.

Flying with someone is also a possibility. Keep in mind this isn't just about ESA's. It's about service animals as well. I suppose the simplest thing is to submit the form now just in case you need to travel at the last minute.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your post that I quoted implied that people would know in advance that they need to travel. I was pointing out that people don't always know in advance. However, advance or not, a different airline may not be possible or available at the last minute but if it is, sure that's an option. Car/bus/train might not be quick enough. Charter your own plane? We don't have to agree but at least let's be reasonable in what we suggest. The majority of people aren't in a position to charter their own plane.

Flying with someone is also a possibility. Keep in mind this isn't just about ESA's. It's about service animals as well. I suppose the simplest thing is to submit the form now just in case you need to travel at the last minute.
I think the bigger question here is, is it Delta's responsibility to have some avenue for this potential emergency?

That's asking a bit much - what about the homeless or those without credit cards? Is it Delta's burden to have options for them to visit dying relatives? Should passengers of size be allowed to fly in one seat if they can demonstrate a dying relative? If a person is on a do-not-fly list, but has a dying relative, what then?

It's just too much. Delta doesn't have to figure this stuff out. Just because something was possible once on Delta, doesn't mean Delta is obligated to cover those situations in the future.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Your post that I quoted implied that people would know in advance that they need to travel.
The guy you're responding to doesn't know what delta's actual policy will be in that case, he's just making stuff up based on what he wants to happen.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:25 pm
pvn
Suspended

I think the bigger question here is, is it Delta's responsibility to have some avenue for this potential emergency?

That's asking a bit much - what about the homeless or those without credit cards?
Good grief this is not a good argument at all.

Nobody is saying delta has to transport this passenger for free but there is a law that does require Delta to make certain accommodations for this passenger.

There's no such law for people without ability to pay for their ticket.

The 48-hour policy is just something Delta arbitrarily made up and placed upon themselves. It doesn't exempt them from their obligations under the law.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
The 48-hour policy is just something Delta arbitrarily made up and placed upon themselves.
No, it's black-and-white DOT policy

UA​​, AA implemented it earlier. Among others.

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/service-animals-including-emotional-support-animals
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:49 pm

That's asking a bit much - what about the homeless or those without credit cards? Is it Delta's burden to have options for them to visit dying relatives? Should passengers of size be allowed to fly in one seat if they can demonstrate a dying relative? If a person is on a do-not-fly list, but has a dying relative, what then?

It's just too much. Delta doesn't have to figure this stuff out. Just because something was possible once on Delta, doesn't mean Delta is obligated to cover those situations in the future.
You have some good points but you are seriously clouding the issue by using examples that are completely irrelevant and to some extent absurd. For example, DL does allow passengers of size to fly in one seat without demonstrating anything so not sure how your point helps your argument.

So ignoring all that, DL does have an avenue for potential emergencies. It seems it would simply be that one can file the form now should one need to travel in the future. I don't see anything that says you must submit the paperwork only and exactly 48 hours in advance.

Also, homelessness and lack of a credit card don't automatically prevent someone from flying.

And it is DL's burden to comply with the law, whatever that may be.

Edited to add: Thanks to LegalTender's reference I just realized that your previous suggestion of flying with someone isn't something the airline can require, so that's not applicable either.

Last edited by justhere; Jan 20, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
No, it's black-and-white DOT policy

UA​​, AA implemented it earlier. Among others.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...upport-animals
Maybe I missed it but that link states that the 48 hours is for ESA's. I doesn't see anything about Service Animals needing advanced notice. However it seems DL is requiring 48 hours for service animals so I'm curious to see if that gets challenged.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:20 pm

Carriers may require up to 48 hours' advance notice for certain accommodations that require preparation time...

.....Other provisions concerning services and accommodations address treatment of mobility aids and assistive devices, passenger information, accommodations for persons with hearing impairments, security screening, communicable diseases and medical certificates, and service animals.
Air Carrier Access Act

To travel with a Service Animal in the cabin, on a flight 8 hours or more, the Hawaiian Airlines Reservation Department must be notified at least 48 hours in advance of a Domestic flight and 72 hours in advance of an International flight.
Traveling With Your Service Animal
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:51 pm

Right but the link in your other post specifically separates out ESA's from Service Animals. It does appear that while airlines can request documentation for service animals (not ESA's), it's not recommended and cannot be automatic (i.e. it appears airlines can ask if they observe something that leads them to believe that they need more info):

3. Request documentation for service animals other than emotional support animals: The law allows airline personnel to ask for documentation as a means of verifying that the animal is a service animal, but DOT urges carriers not to require documentation as a condition for permitting an individual to travel with his or her service animal in the cabin unless a passenger’s verbal assurance is not credible

And

In most cases, airlines may not insist on advance notice or health certificates for service animals under the ACAA regulations.

Although airlines are not permitted to automatically require documentation for service animals other than emotional support animals...

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...20030509_2.pdf

The 8 hour thing is to ensure the animal can go that long without relieving itself and is one of the exceptions. Everything else I'm seeing seems to state that an airline cannot require advanced notice for a Service Animal (not ESA's). Take a look at 382.27.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.