FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:16 pm
josephstern
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
​​​​​​Mom/Dad/Uncle John - how dare you die on a moment's notice? How am I supposed to plan in advance when you go and drop dead without warning.

You can get a passport in a day or two if needed but as you don't need one for a domestic flight, that shouldn't have any bearing on traveling domestically with a service (or ESA) animal. Two different things, two different regulations.

And last minute travel shouldn't mean you don't have to comply with the rules to justify the animal. If the only thing you cannot comply with is the 48 hours notice, do you really want to be the airline that denies travel for that reason and tried in the court of public opinion because someone didn't get to see their dying mother? I would imagine DL has some sort of process should last minute travel be needed. If I'm wrong, I'm sure it won't be long before that court convenes.
Options for Mom/Dad/Uncle John:

-Fly a different airline
-Drive/take a train/take a bus/charter your own plane
-Fly with a friend or paid professional on Delta who can help you get to your destination safely without your ESA

Flying on Delta with your ESA within 48 hours notice can't be the ONLY way to accomplish something. That would make Delta a utility, basically.