Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:58 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
So, if I have never personally experienced it, it must not exist?

"When Marlin Jackson arrived at his row on a Delta flight from Atlanta to San Diego in June, the middle seat was already occupied by a man with a sizable dog on his lap. Jackson squeezed by them to his window seat, and the Labrador mix lunged at his face. The attack lasted about 30 seconds, according to Jackson’s attorney, and left him with facial wounds that required 28 stitches and scars that are still visible today.The mauling, which Delta said was inflicted by a canine identified as an “emotional support” animal, was among the thousands of incidents that just pushed the nation’s largest airline to tighten rules for passengers flying with service or comfort animals. In announcing the changes Friday, Delta said it flew 250,000 animals in those categories last year, up 150 percent from 2015, while “incidents” such as biting or defecating had nearly doubled since 2016."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1528b7b45681
And I'm sure DL got the pants sued off of them as I would have sued the hell out of them.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Thousands of people were "mauled" last year?

Come on, even you don't believe that.
Even you can read "incidents" not "maulings" can't you?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
The Washington Post has a good article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9daf65672505

I was rather surprised by this tidbit, perhaps allergy sufferers do have some rights after all?

Originally Posted by Washington Post

People with allergies to pet dander, who are also protected under federal disability laws, often think that their concerns are trumped by those of passengers with animals, said Sanaz Eftekhari of the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, which has started collecting stories from its members.
trouble747 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I was rather surprised by this tidbit, perhaps allergy sufferers do have some rights after all?
I still find it strange that "emotional support animals" are apparently given precedence over allergy sufferers, given the uniquely enclosed nature of an airplane cabin and the unavailability of immediate medical attention.
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DL hub captive, AA
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
The real villains are the people who abuse the system to bring fake service animals on board. They are the problem, not Delta. IMHO, organizations that provide support for people who need service animals should be screaming at Congress to get the laws revised so that people who bring fake service animals can be turned away at the gate and put on an at least a 5 year No Fly list.

It's pretty obvious that the people with fake service animals don't care about anybody else, other passengers, aircraft crew and those who have a real need for a real service animal. Shame on them!
My service dog trained with a program that very much supports increased regulations. Unfortunately, there is some disagreement among those with disabilities about this. I, and most people I know, are so tired of dealing with the headaches created by fake service dogs that I am willing to give up some of my privacy to government regulation. My disability is not obvious. Since I don't need mobility assistance I chose not to go with a large breed dog, so I am more frequently questioned about my service dog. But I'm pretty sure you would rather sit next to me on a plane with my 30 lb service dog than the giant German shepherds he trained with!

A government registry could easily resolve so many issues. Making and enforcing federal laws about fake documents would also help deter people. I also think that ESA owners that want the right to take their dogs on public transportation should be required to have their dogs pass at least a basic version of the public access test that most service dog organizations use or else keep them kenneled. Untrained and uncontrolled dogs lunge at me and my service dog, endangering our safety. Thankfully this has never happened in the gate area, but if it did, I would definitely be having a conversation with the gate agent or red coat.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For health reasons, I'm required to eat peanuts whenever I fly.

I hope that's not a problem for anyone.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:17 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Even you can read "incidents" not "maulings" can't you?
Well you should know that "incidents" is totally vague and could basically be referring to anything. Like, someone sees a ESA, assumes it's "fake" and complains, that's an "incident".

So either this is being advanced as a totally irrelevant piece of data or it's being advanced disingenuously. I chose to interpret it more generously by assuming that the poster was arguing in good faith. If I read it the way you're suggesting then I have to assume he was arguing in bad faith.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pvn
Thousands of people were "mauled" last year?

Come on, even you don't believe that.
No, I do not believe that thousands of people got mauled last year.

That is not what the cited DL-generated announcement says.

It clearly states that DL was motivated by thousands of incidents over an unspecified time period.

Something else that I don't believe... I don't believe that you could give the DL announcement a fair reading and legitimately come up with the gross misstatement of its content that you posted.

Please don't give folks here further reason to suspect your motivations/intentions.

That is a serious, well-intentioned request.

This should be a rationale, reasoned discussion.
OHDL1, josephstern and trouble747 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Well you should know that "incidents" is totally vague and could basically be referring to anything. Like, someone sees a ESA, assumes it's "fake" and complains, that's an "incident".

So either this is being advanced as a totally irrelevant piece of data or it's being advanced disingenuously. I chose to interpret it more generously by assuming that the poster was arguing in good faith. If I read it the way you're suggesting then I have to assume he was arguing in bad faith.
What? The poster included the entire statement.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
For health reasons, I'm required to eat peanuts whenever I fly.

I hope that's not a problem for anyone.
Too bad if it is as I don't think they are protected under the ACAA.

Last edited by justhere; Jan 23, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
It clearly states that DL was motivated by thousands of incidents over an unspecified time period.

Something else that I don't believe... I don't believe that you could give the DL announcement a fair reading and legitimately come up with the gross misstatement of its content that you posted.
This is ironic. You admit that the statment doesn't specify anything about the severity of the "incidents" nor does it specify anything about the time period during which they occured.

How are we supposed to draw any meaning from it at all, then?
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pvn
This is ironic. You admit that the statment doesn't specify anything about the severity of the "incidents" nor does it specify anything about the time period during which they occured.

How are we supposed to draw any meaning from it at all, then?
Those not in denial can draw the conclusion that DL management thought the problem was sufficiently severe to do something about it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by justhere
Too bad if it is as I don't think they aren't protected under the ACAA.
You're contradicting yourself. First you say it's too bad, then you say that they're protected.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:47 pm

My last set of flights, the very young couple in front of us had an "emotional support dog" that was pretty clearly not a true support dog. They kept passing it around to the people across the aisle, waving it in the air, and basically treating it like any normal pet was. There was even some discussion about how cute the dog was and that their parents had been fighting over who got to keep the dog over the vacation period. When queried the flight attendant said that it was allowed out of the cage, which means they were going with the support animal excuse. My wife and I are both somewhat allergic to dogs, and of course this was one of those types that we tend to find affect us pretty easily, so needless to say by the end of the flight we were both pretty well suffering from our allergies. (Add onto that, asthma and heading to a higher altitude, and that first day of getting acclimatized definitely wasn't particularly pleasant.) I have zero belief that it was anything other than a pet.

Earlier in the day on the bus from parking to the airport, we did also run into a service dog in training. Apparently the dogs first set of flights it was going to be experiencing, and even then, it was better behaved than the dog in the cabin with us. I recognize that there is a need for legit service dogs (and that those dogs need to experience this situation in training). I also recognize that there are people that have legit emotional issues that there are dogs that help with that. I'm not really sure what the best option is to try to respect someone's privacy and yet screen for whether they're abusing the system is, but right now, the bar is too low. (And I'm not overly convinced that these changes Delta is making really moves the bar at all.) I do think banning the exotic animals is an improvement though.
aquamarinesteph and altabello like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The actions of a few are diminishing and disrespecting the struggle that those with real needs have.
Very sensible. Now let's see if the airlines and the 'gubmint' will side with those who have real needs, or the disrespectful minority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.