Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I was asking if you explaining that your cats would never do well on a plane means that you think nobody should brings pets on a plane.
Nope just a personal anecdote about my pets.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pvn
Your analysis is ignoring the fact that most normal people like dogs and don't see their presence on planes as crime against humanity.
People like well-behaved dogs that do not loudly bark at them, lunge at them, or eliminate in areas outside designated pet restroom areas. Or try to bite other passengers or flight attendants. (The Spousal Unit saw a constantly yapping yorkie 'ESA' repeatedly try to bit a FA over Christmas)

The problem is that a lot of Americans are lousy dog owners who poorly train their pets. The majority of the time I go for a simple run in my town, I've got to constantly be aware of getting lunged at by a poorly trained dog when I've merely moving down a path or trail. I'm not typically a Europe does it better' person, but it's been a different world hiking in the EU sphere where the typical dog you see on the trail is so much better behaved while still displaying Happy!Puppy! body language.

If the ESAs were better behaved, whether legit or not, there would be significantly less animosity toward them.
wrp96 and trouble747 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by josephstern
Where are all the sugar glider owners who aren't mentally stable to travel on their own?
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
What's inappropriate is spelled out on the service animal page - and includes action in the gate area:
  • Growling
  • Jumping on passengers
  • Relieving themselves in the gate area or cabin
  • Barking excessively, not in response to a handler’s need or distress
  • Eating off seatback tray tables
Pet misbehaves on one leg of a connection, crew reports it...and no boarding for the connecting flight.
I guarantee you that my emotional support hedgehog doesn't do any of those things. I'm sad she won't be able to fly on Delta anymore.

(Before you rage on me, please see the disclaimer at the bottom of the link.)
trouble747 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:54 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by trouble747
Do you utilize an ESA yourself?
What difference does this make?

The answer is no, fwiw.

Not everyone argues only for things that are in their own immediate self-interest.

And my arguments are (mostly) not pro-ESA. It's mostly pointing out that the anti-ESA arguments are largely either advocating illegal actions, or based on ignorance of the law or misunderstandings of how ESAs work.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachmouse
People like well-behaved dogs that do not loudly bark at them, lunge at them, or eliminate in areas outside designated pet restroom areas.
And there's already a process to deal with such animals, whether they are ESAs, service animals, or pets.

The problem is that a lot of Americans are lousy dog owners who poorly train their pets.
Maybe? This thread is about ESAs, not pets.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
And my arguments are (mostly) not pro-ESA.

Really? You seem to have very strong opinions about anyone that criticizes the current ESA system, or advocate changing it, or who criticizes scammers that abuse the process.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by trouble747

Really? You seem to have very strong opinions about anyone that criticizes the current ESA system, or advocate changing it, or who criticizes scammers that abuse the process.
The people you think are criticizing "scammers" don't know if the people they're criticizing are scammers or not. I object to that.

The changes most people in this thread are advocating are being advanced from the assumption that all ESAs are menaces to society, which is bigoted and wrong. I object to that.

Most of the criticisms of the current ESA system are based on incorrect information. I object to that.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This thread seems to have run its course.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.