Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:28 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
If what you are saying is true, then Delta should just give up and not require paperwork at all. It wastes employees' time. Because anyone who wants to bring their pet on board for free is going to lie about it and do so anyway, why not save yourself some labor and do your customer a favor by dropping the unnecessary cost of documentation, since the results will be exactly the same?
I don't necessarily think that's "exactly the same" is correct. They probably think this will quiet down the haters who keep demanding that Delta "do something". So they came up with this bunch of busywork.

Who wants to bet that the number of animals on board with a new "no docs" policy will actually result in no change to the number today? Anyone? LOL
I would take that bet if there were actually a way to get hard numbers. If anything, I suspect the numbers will continue to increase, though maybe at a slightly reduced rate since we're probably getting closer to the point that everyone who wants to has already found out about how to get approved for an ESA.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I don't necessarily think that's "exactly the same" is correct. They probably think this will quiet down the haters who keep demanding that Delta "do something". So they came up with this bunch of busywork.

I would take that bet if there were actually a way to get hard numbers. If anything, I suspect the numbers will continue to increase, though maybe at a slightly reduced rate since we're probably getting closer to the point that everyone who wants to has already found out about how to get approved for an ESA.
Wow...."haters"....really? People who would prefer that their flight not come with a dog bite, snapping, yapping, growling from a dog whose owner just wants to avoid the fee for taking little Sparky on vacation. I can't wait to hear about the first person who "forgets" or feigns not knowing about the 48 hr requirement and shows at the airport. "I'm sorry ma'am/sir
that will cost a $200 change fee and probably the difference in fare. You'll be rebooked in a minimum of 48 hrs.
Here is the number for the Service Animal Support Desk."
DiverDave and Caribgrl like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by pvn
In reality it's not that divisive. It's a very small group of people who are really, really vocal. You can see in this thread that many are not very well informed on the issue but still have extremely strong opinions and basically just make stuff up to fill in their knowledge gaps.
Oh totally.

Airlines and passengers say more animals are coming onboard. And more are easily evading expensive airline fees by declaring their pets as service dogs or emotional-support animals. Cute poodles and terriers toddle through airports with ill-fitting vests. There’s no specific data telling us how many animals are in the cabin, much less which belong to owners who really need them versus those trying to game the system.

The Transportation Department is trying to crack down and says it hopes to propose new rules later this year. A 2016 effort to get airlines and disability groups to recommend new standards failed. But the DOT says this issue remains an area of concern and it plans to come up with something on its own.

. . .

DOT formed a study group under its accessibility advisory committee to make recommendations on the appropriate definition of service animals and ways to reduce false claims. Participants say the airline industry pushed for adoption of the Americans with Disabilities Act definition, limiting service animals mostly to dogs. Disability advocates pushed for removing medical-certification requirements, which they see as a hassle and promoting classification as patients.

Several groups got together recently and submitted a compromise recommendation to DOT, supported by service-dog, disability and veterans groups, plus some airline and flight-attendant union representatives. It would require passengers to fill out a questionnaire that warns of penalties. The form could be stored in a passenger’s airline frequent-flier profile.

Mr. Morris thinks it will cut down on fraud and ignorance and still allow for necessary support animals.
Wall Street Journal.

You can insist no one actually cares about this issue, but that's simply not the case.
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by trouble747; Jan 22, 2018 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:23 am

This article is from the Fall of 2016; still the point remains:

Major U.S. carriers are in favor of no longer recognizing emotional support animals at all, or at least limiting the species allowed on board, according to a letter written this summer by a working group that's co-chaired by an American Airlines attorney and includes United, JetBlue, Delta and Frontier.

The letter called therapy pets “by far the source of most of the fraud and other problems” created by the current rules.
Link.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:24 am
pvn
Suspended

I didn't say "no one actually cares".
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:25 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Wow...."haters"....really? People who would prefer that their flight not come with a dog bite, snapping, yapping, growling from a dog whose owner just wants to avoid the fee for taking little Sparky on vacation.
Yes, I'm sure everyone would prefer not to get bitten. That's not really the point. I also would rather live in a society where people who need help aren't denied that help because a vocal group of selfish people put their own desires ahead of others needs.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by pvn
... selfish people put their own desires ahead of others needs.
AKA the 20-30 y/o women carrying their toy dog "'Emotional' Support Animal" aboard a plane because they can't bear to leave their mutt at home for a weekend.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I also would rather live in a society where people who need help aren't denied that help because a vocal group of selfish people put their own desires ahead of others needs.
You'll get over it.

And being told, “if your daughter’s allergic to pet dander then she can’t be on this flight” isn't selfish.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
Yup - I'm always very surprised to see animals on international flights, but I do see them. Last I remember was on a flight to Costa Rica.
I've seen dogs (presumably ESAs as they were out of the carrier) cause problems on flights to/from Japan and Argentina. Some countries make it very difficult for animals to enter, in some cases even including service dogs.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, I'm sure everyone would prefer not to get bitten. That's not really the point. I also would rather live in a society where people who need help aren't denied that help because a vocal group of selfish people put their own desires ahead of others needs.
Yes, those "selfish desires" of not wanting to be:
  • Bitten,
  • Peed on,
  • Forced to yield foot room to an oversized animal,
  • Relegated to listening to a yapping lapdog... and for those who truly need the help,
  • Deprived of that help when even more draconian measures are implemented to stem the abuse of the program.
What DL has implemented is entirely within the framework of what DOT permits, and addresses a problem that many here, other than you, are willing to admit exists.

Neither I, nor most anyone else here, want to deprive someone of a needed emotional support option.

But, recognizing DL's penchant for punishing the innocent to stop the abuses by the few, I welcome this reasoned approach to ferreting out the abusers while meeting the needs of those actually requiring support.
DiverDave, OHDL1 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Yes - those who really need help are being denied by the selfish people who abuse the ESA system to save on onboard pet fees and avoid pet sitting fees at home while away. It's an economic issue - a small number of people have found a way to save hundreds of dollars that come with the responsibility of owning a pet - by abusing ESA for a free pet ride.

Thus, Delta starting to take some action.

I actually think the cost / burden of finding someone to care for a pet while you're away is the bigger incentive than the 'official' pet fees the airlines impose.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jan 22, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Yes - those who really need help are being denied by the selfish people who abuse the ESA system to save on onboard pet fees and avoid pet sitting fees at home while away.
They are not yet being denied, but they risk having to deal with an ever more stringent system due to the abuses perpetrated by others.

But, what am I saying? Those abuses clearly do not exist. Those of here, the airlines, and DOT are only responding to anecdotal stories.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by pvn
They probably think this will quiet down the haters who keep demanding that Delta "do something".
Ah, so now you resort to the "hate" word. I will now resort to the "ignore" word, and just like that this thread will be a lot shorter and much less inflammatory.

Cheers,
David
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by beerad420
I also believe that most people are honest and good, but the level of abuse is getting out of control. My dog is a service dog and she is trained to read my cues and react. Now I will have to complete the new Delta documents and trouble my vet for more paperwork. It looks like the ESA sites are already trying to combat the new Delta policies. Why does Delta make it difficult for service dog owners too?
The real villains are the people who abuse the system to bring fake service animals on board. They are the problem, not Delta. IMHO, organizations that provide support for people who need service animals should be screaming at Congress to get the laws revised so that people who bring fake service animals can be turned away at the gate and put on an at least a 5 year No Fly list.

It's pretty obvious that the people with fake service animals don't care about anybody else, other passengers, aircraft crew and those who have a real need for a real service animal. Shame on them!
FlyingNone and altabello like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
the responsibility of owning a pet
The key phrase. Alas, responsibility is something foreign to many pet owners on or off aircraft. Just walk through any public park in a city that has a leash law and you will observe what I mean.
kennycrudup and Caribgrl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.