Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL hub captive, AA
As someone who has a highly trained service dog, I am glad to see Delta take a step towards increased regulation of ESAs. I am tired of ESAs and fake service dogs barking and lunging at us, endangering the safety of myself and my dog. No dog is perfect, but the fakers make all service dogs look bad. I frequently get comments from people who are surprised by how well behaved my dog is, when in reality, that level of behavior should be the expected norm.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Stop With Attacking Fellow FlyerTalk Members

Posted content has been deleted from this discussion which concentrated on attacking fellow FlyerTalk members — rather than discussing the topic.

This is an emotional — no pun intended — topic about which people are passionate. By all means, feel free to disagree with any opinions posted — vehemently, if you must — and please try to keep an open mind about what other FlyerTalk members are saying...

...but simply attacking fellow FlyerTalk members is unacceptable — even if done cryptically — and FlyerTalk members who continue to do so are subject to disciplinary action.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
BOOOOOO. Certain FT members (I won't name ONE) are basically trolls. The more they get called out, the less they will subject us to their divisive posts....at least IMHO.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Personally, I am pleased that DL is cracking down on this. I understand, respect and support the use of ESAs for those with a clearly defined need as certified by a licensed behavioral health provider expert in these matters. The people abusing the system and bringing their ill-behaved animals on the plane pose a risk to the health and safety of others. It's just not acceptable.
wrp96 and Caribgrl like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
BOOOOOO. Certain FT members (I won't name ONE) are basically trolls. The more they get called out, the less they will subject us to their divisive posts....at least IMHO.
As a moderator of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum for almost 14 years — my two colleagues served even longer than me — my experience suggests that your statement is basically incorrect.

From here on in, the discussion will pertain to the enhanced requirements set forth by Delta Air Lines for passengers with service dogs and emotional support animals — not about other members of FlyerTalk.

I am not sure how I can be any clearer...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Finally! Thank you Delta! ^
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I was deplaning a couple of months ago at JFK and there was a terrier ESA who was literally biting every passenger on the ankle as they deplaned while her owner just stood there and stared. I love dogs, and I'm not suggesting I suffered any sort of injury from the bite, but it also seems like that probably isn't an appropriate pet to have in the cabin of a plane.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by steveholt
I was deplaning a couple of months ago at JFK and there was a terrier ESA who was literally biting every passenger on the ankle as they deplaned while her owner just stood there and stared. I love dogs, and I'm not suggesting I suffered any sort of injury from the bite, but it also seems like that probably isn't an appropriate pet to have in the cabin of a plane.
I would have stepped on that dogs head. I have lost track of how many dogs and coyotes I have shot attempting to go after my chickens. So no way would I let a little rat dog bite me without the dog, at the minimum, having to make a trip to the vet.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

I would have stepped on that dogs head. I have lost track of how many dogs and coyotes I have shot attempting to go after my chickens. So no way would I let a little rat dog bite me without the dog, at the minimum, having to make a trip to the vet.
+1

kick it
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
kick it
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:45 pm

Exclamation Please Remain On Topic

Perhaps I have not made myself clear...
Originally Posted by Canarsie
As a moderator of the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum for almost 14 years — my two colleagues served even longer than me — my experience suggests that your statement is basically incorrect.

From here on in, the discussion will pertain to the enhanced requirements set forth by Delta Air Lines for passengers with service dogs and emotional support animals — not about other members of FlyerTalk.

I am not sure how I can be any clearer...
This discussion is not about children or infants aboard airplanes — which has had a history on FlyerTalk of being so contentious that discussions pertaining to that have been locked — and discussion of that has been deleted from this thread.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines SkyMiles forum
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
First of all, I applaud Delta for creating a fair system to reduce the amount of fraudulent ESA and service animals taking advantage of the system.

My question is, will any of these new policies (48 hour advance documentation for vet records/forms/etc) be required for standard pets traveling in the cabin, in a carrier, paying the $125 each way fee?

My interpretation is no, as the news article directly from DL specifically mentions "service and support animals." Anyone know of anything different?

We moved a year ago from Florida to Alaska and flew up with our small bichon frise in a carrier under the seat. We have plans to fly back to Florida for a week in May (got a great deal on F tickets!) and I'm curious if we will have any issues when we bring our pet along. We always travel with a pet health certificate, which agents say technically is not required unless your pet is traveling as cargo. We definitely don't take our pet on every trip, but for as long as we are in Alaska I can see us flying with a pet on a yearly basis.
$250 roundtrip for a piece of carry-on luggage. No wonder people are calling them ESAs. Good for them.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn
You're talking about two separate issues (passengers who don't have legit ESA credentials and animals that you don't think are appropriate to be an ESA).

Some of these policies seem perfectly fine under ACA.

I don't think these policies are going to make any significant difference, FWIW.

ESAs at target are completely unrelated, since the ACA doesn't apply at Target and the ADA doesn't address ESAs.

That's a different matter. If you want to change laws fine, but violating the law seems like a bad way to go about it.

ADA actually does address ESAs and emotional support is not considered a service function.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:29 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by trooper
The Civil Rights movement disagreed......
Yeah, we're talking about a corporation here, not people who are actually being oppressed.

Good lord dude, check yourself.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Playing devils advocate here...

What about those that book flights within 48 hours of departure? Are those pax excempt from the advance documentation or does the air carrier access act mandate 48 hour notice before boarding a flight with a service animal..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.