Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:51 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I think there are two different topics of focus here:
Delta's ability to deny boarding based on less than valid credential
VS. (MORE IMPORTANT)
If a customer boards an aircraft with an animal who damages the aircraft or another passenger - Delta now has documented record to pursue legal action against the passengers and doctor. I would go so far to say they can pursue it criminally if passenger is breaking the law - as the passenger and a doctor have signed away their reputation if something goes left.

IMO, it is the equivalent of a bar serving an overly drunk customer knowing he/she must drive. If that person causes death or property damage - the bar is potentially as liable equal to the drunk driver.
What is currently preventing action against the passenger if their ESA bites another passenger?

hint: nothing at all

I am not sure how you think this will change anything with respect to doctors, either, since doctors don't certify ESAs. The doctor has no responsibility to know anything at all about the animal.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
I haven't seen any evidence that it's a widespread problem. Also the way the law currently stands makes doing any more extremely difficult (the new policies could already be beyond what is legally permissible).
You don't need a peer-reviewed study to see that it's a problem. You can be naive, if you want, but that's not a reflection of reality.
ijgordon, trouble747 and NoizeBoy like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:37 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Newman55
You don't need a peer-reviewed study to see that it's a problem. You can be naive, if you want, but that's not a reflection of reality.
If the "problem" is "too many animals on planes regardless of their status" then I guess you're entitled to your opinion. Clearly some people think any number is too many; some people think the same of children.

FWIW, I have been on 230 flights since I last saw an ESA on board.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by andrewesque
Isn't it better for people who really need ESAs though if there's a crackdown on fake ESAs? Otherwise (as you can sort of tell in this thread) when people attempt to fly with turkeys, snakes, spiders or sugar gliders (mentioned in the link to Delta's website), it sort of makes a mockery of the whole ESA concept, and people are less likely to take any ESA request seriously to the detriment of those who actually need them.
I am not going to get into the politics of this, but the disability rights community tends not to buy this argument. Instead, they tend to be swayed by privacy arguments- that people shouldn't be forced to disclose confidential medical information to get an accomodation, even if that privacy right results in some level of fraud.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
."...those with psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals will also need to provide a signed document confirming that their animal can behave to prevent untrained, sometimes aggressive household pets from traveling without a kennel in the cabin. These measures are intended to help ensure that those customers traveling with a trained service or support animal will no longer be at risk of untrained pets attacking their working animal, as has previously been reported......"
----------------
Signing this document confirming that their animal can behave....? Well probably most can but what is DL going to do when one acts up? - if it's happened in the past, a piece of paper isn't going to prevent this in the future. In my opinion NO EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS should be allowed and if they are then they (the passenger) should be meeting the requirements of physically handicapped persons (blind, crippled) that need animals with them. As well, people with "invisible" emotional disabilities should also be required to have a medical document along with the veterinarian documents IN HAND at time of travel as well as meeting booking deadlines at the 48 hour mark. The airlines have created this mess by dividing the two groups. Also there should be a limit as to how many animals on any given flight and allow only that number of bookings per flight. If you're going to be "politically" correct, think of everyone that is going to be involved both the emotionally "handicapped" person and the people and other animals they will be interacting with (other passengers, airline staff and airport personnel).
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
In my opinion NO EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS should be allowed and if they are then they (the passenger) should be meeting the requirements of physically handicapped persons (blind, crippled) that need animals with them.

First of all, don't use the word crippled. Secondly, this is 2018 and we, humanity, have actually come to understand that there is diversity among humans and therefore different needs. I don't know if you have ever had to manage a mental illness, but it can be just as debilitating as a physical disability. Would you really look in the face of a vet who has untreatable PTSD from fighting for our country and can't fly without their dog and tell them that they should just not fly? Would you look into the face oc the woman who has been house bound with depression and anxiety for months or years and finally, finally figured out how to get on a plane with her pet to go visit an elderly relative she may never see again and say "get off the plane" ?? Really? These are real things. Its hard to be human sometimes, and ESA's are one way people have figured out how to live better lives.

As well, people with "invisible" emotional disabilities should also be required to have a medical document along with the veterinarian documents IN HAND at time of travel as well as meeting booking deadlines at the 48 hour mark. .
That is what is required. Documents in person have been required for years, "IN HAND" as you say.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by pvn

FWIW, I have been on 230 flights since I last saw an ESA on board.
Thats crazy. It has been 230 flights since I last did not have an ESA on board.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Would you really look in the face of a vet who has untreatable PTSD from fighting for our country and can't fly without their dog and tell them that they should just not fly? Would you look into the face of the woman who has been house bound with depression and anxiety for months or years and finally, finally figured out how to get on a plane with her pet to go visit an elderly relative she may never see again and say "get off the plane" ?
These sound like seatmate nightmares, IMO, especially if they're a hair away from losing their <excrement> like that, so no, I wouldn't want them around me.

Flying isn't for everyone; Amtrak and Greyhound exist too, ya know.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes my wife is asthmatic and dog hair sets her off
I have 3 dogs and at any given time i probably am carrying a significant amount of dog hair on my person. So simply sitting next to me without my dogs anywhere near would probably set of your wife's allergies. My point is that dogs play a huge role in our society and everyday life and theyre not going anywhere anytime soon so perhaps your wife should look into some of the many, many effective allergy meds on the market right now.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:32 pm
pvn
Suspended

In my opinion NO EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS should be allowed
The law disagrees with you.

The airlines have created this mess by dividing the two groups.
No, the airlines did not create this mess.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Flying isn't for everyone; Amtrak and Greyhound exist too, ya know.
You realize this argument works both ways, don't you? ESAs are legally permitted, the bus is an option for the people who can't deal with the reality.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

Maybe pvn only flies internationally? I see many fewer on those flights. Last several, I saw none.

Domestically, I agree with you. Can't think of the last time I didn't see an ESA on board.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I'm moving my business to DL this year in support.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Instead, they tend to be swayed by privacy arguments- that people shouldn't be forced to disclose confidential medical information to get an accomodation, even if that privacy right results in some level of fraud.
interesting
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:01 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

It's possible there were some on there but I haven't seen any in that time or noticed them at boarding, no disruptions, nobody having allergic reactions. I have seen a few in the clubs/concourses but it's very sporadic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.