Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to change 1st/C+ upgrades for two based on highest medallion level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
My spouse is PM and I am GM. We cleared into C+ r/t on LAX-LIH for flights this coming spring, so we were able to do a companion upgrade on an award ticket.
So, for award travel, it seems that the companion UG rules to C+/F are such that as long as the companion has Medallion status (FO+), the PNR is upgrade eligible (which is sort of a weird result of how the other rules are applied and how the companion would be evaluated for an upgrade individually).

It's only in situations where tickets are award/PWM with a companion that is SM (sky miles member) where the PNR is ineligible for upgrades. (UGH.)

The PM/GM situation above makes sense for clearing to C+.

I'm not sure how I feel about that rule - I feel like there should be consistency for the upgrade rules whether the companion has Medallion status or not. Or maybe I'm just mad I can't be in C+ for MSP-HND
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's looking to me already like C+ is now leisure couples class with few seats available as "upgrades" for elite business travelers. This will make many people very unhappy if DL doesn't expand the size of its C+ noncabins.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:38 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Hence my post op thread. I think it's because when you have two elites and one PNR individually they already are about to upgrade.
But if companion upgrades aren't allowed on award tickets, then shouldn't we clear at the GM window vs the DM window, even with this recent change?

With this new change, it seems that two Medallions on an award ticket clear at the higher level whereas a Medallion and non-medallion on an award ticket are not eligible.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Dennis88
Regular ticket for a short hop JFK-BUF on the last day of the year; wife has no status, I'm PM; looks like it automatically cleared into C+, also shows "upgrade requested".

If I were on my own I would expect to clear into FC on that flight, so we'll see what happens with a +1.
Ditto for an April reservation with me (currently PM) and +1 general member. Without seeing this thread, for some reason decided to request a C+ upgrade, which cleared immediately.

Here's the kicker though, I didn't requalify for 2017 so come April, I'll hold no status. Will they claw back the upgrade? Seems like because C+ is a separate booking code (and not just a selected seat) I'd be safe, even in an equip swap but any thoughts from the FT sages?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's looking to me already like C+ is now leisure couples class with few seats available as "upgrades" for elite business travelers. This will make many people very unhappy if DL doesn't expand the size of its C+ noncabins.
This is back to how it was prior to C+ being considered an 'upgrade' however... able to select C+ seat at booking. In fact it isn't even back to that point, since you can only 'upgrade' 1 companion, whereas previously you could bring up to 9 pax on the same PNR into an EC seat.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This will make many people very unhappy if DL doesn't expand the size of its C+ noncabins.
Or it will make people pay to sit in C+, which is really what DL wants.

Also, I would not be surprised to see greater inventory control in the future. Right now it seems that any C+ seat that is open is available for upgrade as long as the medallion is within their window (right away for DM/PM). I'd expect this to change at some point and see DL hold some for sale.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

I'm not sure how I feel about that rule - I feel like there should be consistency for the upgrade rules whether the companion has Medallion status or not. Or maybe I'm just mad I can't be in C+ for MSP-HND
It is completely consistent. There seems to be confusion here.

2 Medallions on an award ticket are upgraded because they would be eligible anyway! A general member would not be eligible individually and was not previously eligible as a companion on award ticket... so why should they be now?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by scruffair
It is completely consistent. There seems to be confusion here.

2 Medallions on an award ticket are upgraded because they would be eligible anyway! A general member would not be eligible individually and was not previously eligible as a companion on award ticket... so why should they be now?
But I would not be eligible before 72 as a GM, but was upgraded months in advance with my PM husband, on an award ticket. If I had not had any status, would we not have been upgraded?

Another option: You do need to at least have a sky miles account to get a companion upgrade. For the case in question, maybe the companion had no account at all?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum
But I would not be eligible before 72 as a GM, but was upgraded months in advance with my PM husband, on an award ticket. If I had not had any status, would we not have been upgraded?

Another option: You do need to at least have a sky miles account to get a companion upgrade. For the case in question, maybe the companion had no account at all?
It is definitely an improvement that a medallion companion on award ticket appears to now clear at the higher level. But unless they change the no companion rule on award ticket... the answer to your first question is yes, you would not have been upgraded.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Possibly. Although, the last trip I booked with my wife (ended up cancelling because of the hurricane) had us departing Thursday night (yes, a fair amount of business travelers), and returning Sunday morning (very few business travelers).

The point is that with the glaring exception of Thursday night and possibly Sunday night, the common travel period for business versus leisure travel don't line up very often.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by scongro
The point is that with the glaring exception of Thursday night and possibly Sunday night, the common travel period for business versus leisure travel don't line up very often.
Not just times, but the destinations are often different (with major destinations like NYC or ORD being an exception).
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

The requirement is usually stated in terms of having a SkyMiles account, but for many people the bite of the rule is that the SkyMiles number must be attached to the PNR, which means that you can't credit any part of the trip to another program, unless of course you're rebooked in IROPs onto another alliance.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I don't think I understand your comment. C+ was leisure elite + 9 companions class in the past, and for a few months this benefit disappeared. Now is elite + 1...

And I don't think it should matter if it is an elite leisure traveler class or an elite business traveler class. As long as the Elite earns the benefit, there should be no difference.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:10 am

Does anyone have experience since the change was enacted when the status member (PM) is on a different reservation than the general member? I called Delta and they "connected" (?) our PNRs, but there's no option on dl.com for my fiance to request an upgrade to C+ for the legs on which our trips overlap.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by phouston06
Does anyone have experience since the change was enacted when the status member (PM) is on a different reservation than the general member? I called Delta and they "connected" (?) our PNRs, but there's no option on dl.com for my fiance to request an upgrade to C+ for the legs on which our trips overlap.
Yes. The non status member must be on the same PNR to be eligible for any complimentary upgrade. Period. No one can override it if you booked separately, either on the phone or at the gate.

The "connecting" you mention is a typed note in your records that is only referenced in case of IRROPs etc. (When it is relevant for agents to know you want the same itinerary as another passenger)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.