Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If Delta did not charge such a high fee for traveling with a pet in the cabin (a pet who fits in a carrier that fits underneath the seat in front of you), this would solve a lot of the issues. For Delta to charge $250 r/t to bring a 5 or 10 pound pet on board, and for that pet to replace one's free carry on, is nothing but an invitation for people to find ways to sneak around that.

If DL needs to charge a $25 administrative fee or something to register that there is a pet on board, fine.
If true, would it not also be the case that some seek relief from the reality of having to send a pet through cargo? Perhaps this could be a factor when the pet is small but just a little too big to fit in a carrier that goes underneath a seat in smaller aircraft? Although I have noticed some folks just carrying these sized pets on without a cage and without having to pay like I saw in I think at DTW.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any animal not in a carrier on DL is either a service animal or an emotional support animal. Pets must stay in containers on board.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The ADA does. The ACA allows for more wiggle room and DOT has basically made it so that the airlines have to treat them the same. When they made the final rules decade or more back I don't they imagined the abuse that would eventually follow.
However, the ACA does permit different documentation rules to verify service animal versus emotional support animal. Not calling them all service animals would seem to be the first step in reminding agents to at least check the required documentation for emotional support animals very carefully. Let's start by trying to make sure that the scammers remember to pay fees to the internet psychologists as often as possible and if the paperwork is out of date or otherwise deficient, the animal doesn't fly (with possible mercy shown to veterans).
Old May 27, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I disagree. The people who complain ESAs on-board will complain whether the animals are just pets, or ESAs. If cabin pets are cheaper, there will be even more animals on-board.

There isn't much to do here.

1. Get familiar with the CFR that binds hands of air carriers. It's clear many posters have not.

2. Write your congress(person).

3. Learn to live with it until the DOT (through rulemaking) or Congress changes it.
Wrong.

I have no problem with pets in the cabin.

I do have a problem with ESA's.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any animal not in a carrier on DL is either a service animal or an emotional support animal. Pets must stay in containers on board.
I vividly remember a distraught passenger crying at the gate because the pet did not have a carrier. The pet had no visible indication that it qualified as service or emotional support.

It seems clear that the ga was not going to let the passenger board with the pet until the outpouring of tears. Perhaps the combo made an earlier flight with no restrictions and so was distraught of being sidelined, but I am guessing here.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I have no problem with pets in the cabin.

I do have a problem with ESA's.
Emotional support animals are pets. Their humans just happen to suffer from emotional or mental disabilities. Some of them are honorably discharged veterans suffering from PTSD and their pet lab helps them remain calm and allows them to travel.

If pets aren't a problem, then why object to a vet's pet?

Pets are ok, but not people who suffer from disabilities? Disabilities that can be treated by traveling with their pet?
Old May 27, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Emotional support animals are pets. Their humans just happen to suffer from emotional or mental disabilities. Some of them are honorably discharged veterans suffering from PTSD and their pet lab helps them remain calm and allows them to travel.

If pets aren't a problem, then why object to a vet's pet?

Pets are ok, but not people who suffer from disabilities? Disabilities that can be treated by traveling with their pet?
Why is this an issue about vets? Should they be the only ones allowed?

I have an issue with people getting ESA who don't have a legitimate medical condition.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:12 pm

However, the ACA does permit different documentation rules to verify service animal versus emotional support animal. Not calling them all service animals would seem to be the first step in reminding agents to at least check the required documentation for emotional support animals very carefully. Let's start by trying to make sure that the scammers remember to pay fees to the internet psychologists as often as possible and if the paperwork is out of date or otherwise deficient, the animal doesn't fly (with possible mercy shown to veterans).
I've seen ESANs denied for letters expired by a couple weeks. I don't see much leniency when it comes to ESAN doc requirements, and I haven't yet seen any interchangeable confusion between a SVAN and ESAN. When dealing with passengers, I wouldn't refer to an emotional support animal as a service animal since their documentation requirements are different. However, in the specific context of "can an animal take up more room than the paid seat?" both types of animals follow the same rule.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Are pax able to purchase two seats so that a larger pet can comfortably fly with them in the cabin? If not, I think this should be allowed. Flying a pet as cargo is cruel.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Are pax able to purchase two seats so that a larger pet can comfortably fly with them in the cabin? If not, I think this should be allowed. Flying a pet as cargo is cruel.
I think that owners should be required to purchase a second seat once the pet reaches a certain size.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I think that owners should be required to purchase a second seat once the pet reaches a certain size.
Agreed. However, DL regulations (or is this DOA?) require that all animals, except service animals/ESA's, travel in a carrier that can under the seat in front of you. This is probably another reason why some pax feel that they need to ESA letter, because it is the only way to bring the pet in the cabin.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
That sounds like a reasonable compromise.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
That sounds like a reasonable compromise.
It would be better if the "compromise" applied also to emotional support animals and not just pets.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
It would be better if the "compromise" applied also to emotional support animals and not just pets.
What's the difference?
Old May 28, 2017, 12:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
it doesn't apply at all to regular pets, since pets are only allowed in the cabin if they are in a carrier that fits under the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.