Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It just makes it harder on those who legitimately need service animals.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:48 am

If one cannot fly without an ESA, maybe flying is not the way to get to slot machines...
Old May 26, 2017, 12:55 am

All that would be needed is for another passenger to complain/ask for a CRO and say that a service animal can't encroach on the leg room of other passengers. If it does, then the owner needs to purchase an extra seat. Airlines are not required to accommodate service animals that take up more than their assigned seat. I would've booted the owner, not the innocent couple. You can't have an oversized dog and not expect to pay for an extra seat.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Widgets
All that would be needed is for another passenger to complain/ask for a CRO and say that a service animal can't encroach on the leg room of other passengers. If it does, then the owner needs to purchase an extra seat. Airlines are not required to accommodate service animals that take up more than their assigned seat. I would've booted the owner, not the innocent couple. You can't have an oversized dog and not expect to pay for an extra seat.
100% in agreement! I think they would have needed to purchase 2 extra seats because the dog was that long and was pretty sizeable.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It just makes it harder on those who legitimately need service animals.
This. At some point we will reach a breaking point and airlines will eventually enact very strict policies making it harder for people in need of trained service animals to take them on board.

Until then: Bring your elephants, snakes, goats, llamas, etc. with you...
Old May 26, 2017, 4:59 am

The real problem is the borderline unethical MDs who write these ESA scripts, sometimes not even seeing the dog!

I wonder, what did people do before ESAs were allowed on planes? Not fly? It is madness and this is another area where the government needs to step up and regulate this so that the airlines don't have a PR nightmare.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xu Guan
When will the madness stop?
It will stop around the time all people on FT demonstrate they are proficient with search and no longer start redundant threads.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/382.117
Old May 26, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by abox03
The real problem is the borderline unethical MDs who write these ESA scripts, sometimes not even seeing the dog!

I wonder, what did people do before ESAs were allowed on planes? Not fly? It is madness and this is another area where the government needs to step up and regulate this so that the airlines don't have a PR nightmare.
"sometimes"?? Um no, pretty much never. Almost ALL of these folks get these certificates via the Internet. My vet doesn't give these things out. This madness needs to stop.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
^ ^ That's good information, thanks! I've always wondered how this should be handled.

David
Old May 26, 2017, 7:00 am

Well...instead of forcing to buy an extra seat...how about moving 4F and animal back to where the couple were moving. We can ask her to move since the animal was oversized for one seat.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:00 am

Quick question for you, I have an emotional support dolphin...how many seats do you think I need to purchase to accommodate his 10K Gallon travelling saltwater tank?

Also I assume that you will check his standard 40K Gallon tank at no charge.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
All that would be needed is for another passenger to complain/ask for a CRO and say that a service animal can't encroach on the leg room of other passengers.
Please don't use the term "service animal" because an ESA is not a service animal. People with legit service animals would appreciate it.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Please don't use the term "service animal" because an ESA is not a service animal. People with legit service animals would appreciate it.
Have to agree with Widgets. Delta defines a "service animal" as either a trained service animal OR an emotional support animal.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
All that would be needed is for another passenger to complain/ask for a CRO and say that a service animal can't encroach on the leg room of other passengers. If it does, then the owner needs to purchase an extra seat. Airlines are not required to accommodate service animals that take up more than their assigned seat....
What does "CRO" stand for? A redcoat? So handle this like a "person of size" issue?
Old May 26, 2017, 8:36 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Have to agree with Widgets. Delta defines a "service animal" as either a trained service animal OR an emotional support animal.
delta needs to stop doing that, then. The term "Service Animal" is defined in the ADA and specifically excludes ESAs.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.