Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...A higher fee discourages people from traveling on DL with pets.
um, really? based on a number of posts in this and related threads (particularly this one), apparently there's a building consensus that a higher fee encourages people to declare their pets as ESAs so they don't have to pay
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Plus, DL is trying to maximize profits, not just break even on the transaction.
no argument
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
um, really? based on a number of posts in this and related threads (particularly this one), apparently there's a building consensus that a higher fee encourages people to declare their pets as ESAs so they don't have to pay

no argument
I can't find a link to a clip, but Vice News (on HBO) ran something a while ago (December maybe?) on ESA and how ridiculously easy it is to get you pet certified as one. I forget the details, but once certified (which does cost money), your pet can fly with you for free.

My personal view is that if you have so much angst in your life that you continually need a dog (or other animal) by your side, you should probably not be flying. I'm willing to bet the majority of ESA are fake and just a way to duck fees.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:22 am

I think it is less of a money grab and more of a way to discourage people from making each flight a flying zoo. At least with the high fee, I tend to want to believe the owners will be a little bit more responsible with their pet on board. When my friends that have pets travel, they leave the pet with family because of the fee. Unfortunately, then you have people like my coworker (I chose to leave the conversation before saying something I regretted), who last week proudly said that she got the ESA waiver for her dog, because she couldn't stand paying the fee and she just had to travel with her pet. Worst part is, employees at the company have plenty of disposable income to be able to afford the fee. Sad that people so unabashedly abuse the system. I think the waiver should be available for people who truly need it, but it needs to be a lot harder to obtain.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
The other issue is Delta no longer allows pets as checked baggage, only cargo. If you have a dog that is too big to fit under the seat you either have to fake the ESA or go through the hassle of shipping as cargo (visit cargo center before and after the flight to drop off and pick up the dog - WITH a health certificate).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:41 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
. . . . . and how ridiculously easy it is to get you pet certified as one.
Here's a copy n' past of a post I posted last year about a young woman sitting across from me with her tiny ESA:

Originally Posted by davetravels
A few months back, I was flying <can't remember>/LAX. I was sitting across the aisle from a very pretty young woman with a small dog with the "E.S.A" designation. (she was an actress / model in LA of some sort) We started chatting, and she, basically told me (not in so many words) that she was scamming the airline, and how EASY it is to get the required papers for the designation.

I know I've seen the <phoney> ID cards for sale on eBay for something like $5 without a doggie photo, and $10 with a pic (IIRC)
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:09 pm

The thing that puzzles me is how personal values can be set aside to commit these scams (fraud) and is justified because....

(1) it is too expensive otherwise
(2) it is too inconvenient (for me)
(3) its part of the "family"

Do the same folks buy fake handicap placards online for that convenient parking spot?
Do they lie about kids age for discounts, concessions and waivers
Is faking one's birthday for freebies and discount acceptable.

I do witness wheelchair miracles so I supposed morals can indeed be placed on hold when it is inconvenient.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:20 pm

Animal-on-plane threads seem to bring out the pearl clutchers...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by airmotive
You are confusing "emotional support animals" with "service animals".
Service animals are the highly trained, carefully vetted dogs that serve a particular need for a disabled person.
Emotional support animals are pets whose owners spent $60 on the internet for a fake ID card and silly vest.
^ This

The ADA only pertains to "service animals." However, there is enough ambiguity in the laws to drive a truck through.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by sdfcardinals
At what point does this start to affect other passengers rights and comforts. For example, I am extremely allergic to animal dander. So if this dog were to be seated next to me, what right do I have to be re seated? I normally fly up front, so what happens then? Are they going to make the passenger with a dog take a later flight?

​​​​​​​Seems like a potential case of, your "issue" is more important than my issue.
They don't care. I had to sit next to one that smelled like it hasn't been bathed for a while. Asked to be reseated but was told full flight. Later it grabbed my cereal bar from my tray table while the owner was asleep. Woke the owner and told her what happened and she yelled at me for waking her up. Filed a complain with DL and got a "it's an emotional support animal..." kind of reply. Essentially a go away kind of response.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:00 pm

I never understand the absolute need to take pets on vacations. Pet sitters and animal hotels exists for a reason. If you want to travel with your pet, put them in cargo. What gives dog/cat owners special privilege to be able to travel with their pets while I can't travel with my pet python?! (no I don't have a python, but example of self entitlement of these pet owners).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by kulflyer
I never understand the absolute need to take pets on vacations. Pet sitters and animal hotels exists for a reason. If you want to travel with your pet, put them in cargo. What gives dog/cat owners special privilege to be able to travel with their pets while I can't travel with my pet python?! (no I don't have a python, but example of self entitlement of these pet owners).
Is it "absolute need" or is it a desire?
Is there an "absolute need" for anyone to travel anywhere for vacation?
Is there an "absolute need" to bring one's child on a vacation?
Is there an "absolute need" to drink alcohol on a plane?
Is there an "absolute need" for obese people to travel and ruin the experience for everyone else?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Do the same folks buy fake handicap placards online for that convenient parking spot?
Do they lie about kids age for discounts, concessions and waivers
Is faking one's birthday for freebies and discount acceptable.
Unfortunately, people do all of these, but only because (and when) it is convenient to them.

I have nothing against well-behaved dogs on flights if they have gone through the proper channels.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Something is wrong when more people oppose babies on a plane than dogs. I would be livid if I were on a plane and the dog did its business. (Yeah, I know it is rare...). I would be livid if I were on a plane with an ESA, period.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dalewood
Something is wrong when more people oppose babies on a plane than dogs. I would be livid if I were on a plane and the dog did its business. (Yeah, I know it is rare...). I would be livid if I were on a plane with an ESA, period.
Wow - i can't imagine living a life where such a minor thing makes me "livid".
Sounds like an ESA might help...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:22 pm

I know plenty of people who fly with their pets as an ESA. They use the ESA when it is convenient to bring the pet along (like to visit extended family) but not if it is an international trip or somewhere the pet can't come. To be clear, these are pets. But since practically everyone has some sort of emotional need he/she could claim (anxiety, stress, a history of ..., even if in the distant past) or just gets how to play the system, the pet is registered as an ESA for the flight on which it is convenient to "need" the pet.

Maybe it is the social circles I see, but I don't know anyone who has a real ESA, only people who have ESA-of-convenience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.