Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by PTravel
Really?

https://thedogtor.net/?gclid=Cj0KEQi...inUaAj-C8P8HAQ

http://www.workingservicedog.com/emo...portdog-2.aspx

From what I've seen, I'd be surprised if even 5% of the people claiming emotional support dogs are legitimate.
The second link states that ESAs can help those affected by factitious disorders.

Googling reveals that:

"A factitious disorder is a condition in which a person acts as if they have an illness by deliberately producing, feigning, or exaggerating symptoms. Factitious disorder imposed on another is a condition in which a person deliberately produces, feigns, or exaggerates the symptoms of someone in his or her care."

Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
On the other hand, you could sit in amazement at how progressive and advanced our society has become, and that it works for so many more people than it used to, and that we are able to use our wealth and knowledge to include people. 200 years ago, the person who needed emotional support may have been abused, thrown out or sent to an asylum. They would not have been able to go west, if they were able to survive at all. Now, with appropriate treatment and accommodations, they can participate in society.
And all it needed was a dog. The delusions we entertain these days. It'd be almost entertaining if it wasn't so indicative of the larger problems we face.

The real issue here is that the airlines still haven't found a good way to transport pets. The reality is that people understandably want to take their pets with them when they relocate or go on longer trips, but the cargo hold also has a rather bad reputation - perhaps with some justification. The ESA 'phenomenon' would cease to exist overnight if a safe, healthy solution for pet transport by air was found. But that solution would cost money airlines aren't willing to spend.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:27 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The second link states that ESAs can help those affected by factitious disorders.

Googling reveals that:

"A factitious disorder is a condition in which a person acts as if they have an illness by deliberately producing, feigning, or exaggerating symptoms. Factitious disorder imposed on another is a condition in which a person deliberately produces, feigns, or exaggerates the symptoms of someone in his or her care."

So, I guess when a FA is planning on NOT doing a PDB service, they should pass out ESAs to ease the symptoms and stress level???

Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by Ber2dca

The real issue here is that the airlines still haven't found a good way to transport pets. The reality is that people understandably want to take their pets with them when they relocate or go on longer trips, but the cargo hold also has a rather bad reputation - perhaps with some justification. The ESA 'phenomenon' would cease to exist overnight if a safe, healthy solution for pet transport by air was found. But that solution would cost money airlines aren't willing to spend.
Airlines are in the business of making money. If people would be willing to pay what it cost the airlines to transport pets in better conditions than cargo hold, I'd guess they would sell the service. And it likely would cost more than the current cargo hold solution. Maybe a 1st Class Cargo option?

I don't think the issue is the airlines' willingness to spend, but rather the pet owners' willingness.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
And all it needed was a dog. The delusions we entertain these days. It'd be almost entertaining if it wasn't so indicative of the larger problems we face.

......and if there were a fee associated with this type of pet transport, people would still choose to fake an ESA instead to save the money.

It's already the case that small pets can be taken into the cabin in a carrier for a fee, yet we see small fake ESAs flying for free.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Well, a dog and extensive therapy and perhaps pharmaceuticals as well. This is not a thing where Johnny goes to the psychiatrist one day because he acted up in school, and he's immediately prescribed a support dog.

I'm sympathetic to people with genuine psychiatric issues. I'm not knowledgeable, however, about the medical science behind the issuing of support animals. I do suspect that the cases in which they are really necessary are actually quite rare, but that there are other cases where they are helpful but perhaps not necessary. There seems to be little question, however, that people are abusing this privilege and ruining it for everyone.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:48 pm

If anyone wants to see how extreme the abuse of this ESA exception has become, just go to https://therapetic.org/
You can answer a very short questionnaire where you state that you have some of the symptoms of depression including the kinds of aches and pains, feeling down, etc. that we all have. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what you have, you can put down anything you want and voila! you're approved. Then they charge you about a $100 and will provide you ESA letters signed by a qualified professional in perpetuity. They are registered as a non-profit and it's all apparently perfectly legitimate.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc
If anyone wants to see how extreme the abuse of this ESA exception has become, just go to https://therapetic.org/
You can answer a very short questionnaire where you state that you have some of the symptoms of depression including the kinds of aches and pains, feeling down, etc. that we all have. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what you have, you can put down anything you want and voila! you're approved. Then they charge you about a $100 and will provide you ESA letters signed by a qualified professional in perpetuity. They are registered as a non-profit and it's all apparently perfectly legitimate.
It may be legal, but it's not legitimate IMHO.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:45 am

It is demoralizing to see where we have gotten to.

Two hundred years ago, entire families were trekking across the continent in Conestoga wagons. Across barren plains and parch deserts. Risking starvation, dying of thirst, or attacks by indigenous populations. With the knowledge that there was a significant probability that some would not make it to the end of the journey.

Now, someone needs an emotional support animal to help them endure a two hour flight on what is demonstrably the safest mode of transportation that mankind has ever created.

Perhaps the horses or mules pulling the Conestoga wagons were ESAs?

Reminds me of a recent article asserting the low percentage of folks who, after a catastrophic national emergency, would not know how to build a fire to cook their food (or, for that matter, how to find food).
When these families were traveling by Conestoga wagons, they weren't freaked out at the site of nearby animals and didn't complain of animal "allergies".
And I doubt they demanded pre-departure beverages and free upgrades.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:34 am

That's It!!! I'm getting my sea lion certified as an ESA

http://kalw.org/post/airline-denies-passengers-emotional-support-sea-lion#stream/0
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
When these families were traveling by Conestoga wagons, they weren't freaked out at the site of nearby animals and didn't complain of animal "allergies".
And I doubt they demanded pre-departure beverages and free upgrades.
Except, perhaps, for wolves.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Mommy mommy mommy - look at the nice doggies !!!!!

I want one. Can I have one?

Please mommy, please, please, please, i promise to be good if you get a me one of those doggies .....
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:52 pm

Probably right.
But I love the idea of a hearty pioneer complaining that there was a domestic dog or a bunny rabbit in the wagon and that they were at risk of developing a serious allergic reaction.

I'm sure there are plenty of posters here on FT who dismiss people's need for an ESA or one's desire to travel with their pets but who then whine that they didn't get their choice of meal despite their impressive "status" or that they weren't offered a PDB before their flight to Omaha.
As I said before, outrage is highly selective and there are plenty of fragile whiners who justify their own predilections while sneering at those of others.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
Probably right.
But I love the idea of a hearty pioneer complaining that there was a domestic dog or a bunny rabbit in the wagon and that they were at risk of developing a serious allergic reaction.

I'm sure there are plenty of posters here on FT who dismiss people's need for an ESA or one's desire to travel with their pets but who then whine that they didn't get their choice of meal despite their impressive "status" or that they weren't offered a PDB before their flight to Omaha.
As I said before, outrage is highly selective and there are plenty of fragile whiners who justify their own predilections while sneering at those of others.
I can complain about poor wine choices, and still point out how ridiculous ESA's are. And I'd probably qualify to have one.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:23 am

"Emotional Support" Animal

On my flight today we had an "emotional support" animal that was the length of about 2.5 economy seats and was as tall as about half a seat. Lady was sitting in 4F with an animal and was one of the last to board. A couple was in 4D and 4E (Comfort Plus Seats) and really had no where to sit with the dog taking up all of the room. When the flight attendant came over and said this situation wasn't going to work, the lady in 4F complained that they can't do that to her and that they needed to find a place for the dog. Dog could not fit under seat and was. It's like a small horse. The couple just ended up going to the last row of economy in order to get away from this madness so got the joy of being downgraded so an "emotional support" animal could be there. The dog was pulling the owner all over the terminal and was sniffing everyone on the way back to 4F. When will the madness stop?

http://ibb.co/nP6ZNa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.