Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Proper identification is the letter from a physician or therapist. Vests are not necessarily proof of authenticity as they (the vests) can easily be bought on line.
Wow. I guess I haven't been on these ESA threads long enough. Also did not know that they can buy these vests online. What is the world coming to... Is it seriously just to save a few $ that people fake this?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Wow. I guess I haven't been on these ESA threads long enough. Also did not know that they can buy these vests online. What is the world coming to... Is it seriously just to save a few $ that people fake this?
I don't have a dog, but if I did and it wasn't small enough to fit under the seat... I would 100% get it certified as an ESA, especially if it was well behaved.

has nothing to do with paying or not paying the fee; has everything to do with me not wanting my dog to suffer traveling in the cargo hold of the plane in a kennel.

if DL allowed for people to pay for seats for their pets, etc, then I'd have a lot more outrage at people "faking" ESA needs. But as it stands, if your dog doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, there is no way to fly with them not in cargo unless they are certified... so.. *shrug*, I have a lot fewer problems with people that do this than most here seem to. (Then again, I love dogs and have never had a bad experience with one near me on a plane!).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by appleguru
I don't have a dog, but if I did and it wasn't small enough to fit under the seat... I would 100% get it certified as an ESA, especially if it was well behaved.

has nothing to do with paying or not paying the fee; has everything to do with me not wanting my dog to suffer traveling in the cargo hold of the plane in a kennel.

if DL allowed for people to pay for seats for their pets, etc, then I'd have a lot more outrage at people "faking" ESA needs. But as it stands, if your dog doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, there is no way to fly with them not in cargo unless they are certified... so.. *shrug*, I have a lot fewer problems with people that do this than most here seem to. (Then again, I love dogs and have never had a bad experience with one near me on a plane!).
Like I said above.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
So what happens if one is allergic to animal fur?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BSBtraveller
So what happens if one is allergic to animal fur?
They're told to leave the flight.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
What a beautiful dog!!! I love dogs and would be delighted to see one as handsome/calm like that one on a flight with me. I have yet to fly with a dog on board.

I'm not faulting the doubters. I'm just having a hard time accepting that people would fake their need of an ESA. Faith in humanity decreased. Pretty sickening to be able to do that with a clear conscience.

I think you're also being a bit unfair to the people that actually NEED and BENEFIT from an ESA. These dogs are very well trained. I have seen and heard amazing stories of how it has helped people. People with ESA's usually have been through quite a bit and I sympathize for them. Enough to be able to overlook the potential "risks" that you are discribing. I'd be happy to have a fellow human be comforted enough so they are able to experience travel.

The allergy part is interesting. I wonder how the FA's would handle that? I also didn't know that there were other ESA like turkey's and pigs... That seems a little odd... Not sure if I'd believe that they are an ESA

This all being said, all ESA's I have seen are propertly identified with a vest so I've never had to doubt the authenticity of one. Sad that people take advantage of this and airlines don't make an attempt to identify.
You are confusing "emotional support animals" with "service animals".
Service animals are the highly trained, carefully vetted dogs that serve a particular need for a disabled person.
Emotional support animals are pets whose owners spent $60 on the internet for a fake ID card and silly vest.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airlines did it to themselves (or their non-dog-carrying passengers). I think it's like $150 each way just to put a dog under the seat. More than the cost of the seat in many cases. Clear money grab. Plus the various policies that were just mentioned.
So there's a loophole and people exploit it.
I thought I read recently that Congress (?) was looking to close it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The airlines did it to themselves (or their non-dog-carrying passengers). I think it's like $150 each way just to put a dog under the seat.
I completely agree. And in addition to this, the pet becomes one of your "free" carry on items. If they charged something reasonable like $25.00 per direction I think people would not try to get around it so much. Of course, this would do nothing for animals that can't fit under the seat, which are the only ones that are allowed to fly as a pet in the cabin.

I also want to point out that this thread assumes that the dog is an ESA, but it could be trained to assist with other types of disabilities, such as narcolepsy, or to respond to seizures. And again, the vest is not required by anyone. It simply helps inform the public that the animal is not a pet, and that if you were to treat it as such, you could be distracting it from it's duty.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
How can people actually prove that some people fake the need of an ESA? I never even thought twice to think that some people do this. That would be disgusting. I can't imagine people would sink that low.
Your imagination is quite lacking. Just read about Travel blogger Alyssa Ramos, who admits to faking her ESA:

http://nypost.com/2015/12/06/people-...th-their-pets/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...rowing-problem

David
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I completely agree. And in addition to this, the pet becomes one of your "free" carry on items. If they charged something reasonable like $25.00 per direction I think people would not try to get around it so much. Of course, this would do nothing for animals that can't fit under the seat, which are the only ones that are allowed to fly as a pet in the cabin.

I also want to point out that this thread assumes that the dog is an ESA, but it could be trained to assist with other types of disabilities, such as narcolepsy, or to respond to seizures. And again, the vest is not required by anyone. It simply helps inform the public that the animal is not a pet, and that if you were to treat it as such, you could be distracting it from it's duty.
The price is probably that high because of a) lawyers/liability (in case someone is bitten, or the animal acts up) and b) Cleanup fees in the event of an "accident." It just takes one dog having some stomach issues to cause the need for a deep clean or some similar delay.

Although it's unlikely that anything will happen on any one particular flight with an animal, one problem could lead to something serious which could have real costs (in both time and money) to an airline. I think these charges are reasonable and a way to spread out the costs across everyone that uses the service. Alternately, you could charge something like $3000 for a "major" occurrence, but then you've invited people to have different opinions as to what is and what is not an "occurrence," and then you've got people complaining about that fee instead of this one.

If I owned an airline I'd probably prefer to fly no animals under any circumstances, but that would be discriminatory and would certainly be a problem with the Feds (and of course various other interested groups).

I also agree with a comment earlier in this thread saying it is in bad taste to post these types of photos (personally identifiable ones of people with what may be a service animal or ESA) on FT. Heck, even when someone is "acting bad" and their photos make their way here, faces will usually be blurred out at least.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Nirvana91
The price is probably that high because of a) lawyers/liability (in case someone is bitten, or the animal acts up) and b) Cleanup fees in the event of an "accident." It just takes one dog having some stomach issues to cause the need for a deep clean or some similar delay.
I don't buy it. I think it's a money grab. Any of the humans on the airplane could just as easily cause a need for a deep clean. Furthermore, to fly as a pet (not service animal) in the cabin, the animal must be crated in a crate that fits under the seat in front of you and has a leakproof bottom.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:06 am

Those dogs look pretty cool.
I'd prefer to travel next to any of them than many of the people I end up next to (obese, yappy, smelly, unable to control alcohol consumption, loud on cell phone, back-of-seat grabber, etc).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold
I don't buy it. I think it's a money grab. Any of the humans on the airplane could just as easily cause a need for a deep clean. Furthermore, to fly as a pet (not service animal) in the cabin, the animal must be crated in a crate that fits under the seat in front of you and has a leakproof bottom.
I tend to agree. My dog is a happier, less car/air/sea sick traveler than my child. Our cats on the other hand prefer to stay home.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:58 am

While I don't disagree about them probably wanting to make money off this, I assume that transporting a live animal (and one that is not required by law to be accommodated) would result in more risk than simply another piece of luggage. I also agree that a human is just as likely to cause a deep clean, but I think that those human risks would already be included in the price of your ticket, whereas with an additional pet, they're not.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to the risk, pets can inconvenience other passengers such as those with allergies. A higher fee discourages people from traveling on DL with pets. Plus, DL is trying to maximize profits, not just break even on the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.