Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Unfortunately, people do all of these, but only because (and when) it is convenient to them.

I have nothing against well-behaved dogs on flights if they have gone through the proper channels.
I agree people scam systems all the time including the ones I listed but when called out I think the perpetrators will not say they were "forced" for the reasons below. Neither do I think there will be mass folks sympathising their circumstances and blaming the building owner or the restaurant owner.

(e.g.) using a fake handicap placard because

- lots near the building entrance are all handicap lots
- handicap lots are usually available and no searching is required
- regular and available lots are so far away

(e.g.) Faking child's age to get discounted all-you-can-eat buffet because

- adult price is so expensive
- while not a child, eats little and like a child

With ESA, this seems entirely different. Most knows the rules. In fact, the scam can only be committed with clear knowledge of the rules so intent to commit fraud is clear. And the vocal supporters sure make the perpetrators feel even more righteous of their fraud.

That said, I am happy to read that some law makers are considering rewording the existing law so that the people this was supposed to protect remains protected while reigning in the abusers.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The passenger in Seat 2A(-a) on my flight has been completely chill and mellow.
I wonder what he's drinking in that coffee cup.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: MR, DL, MM, HH
As non-American originally, I do not understand service pets, as well as "disabilities" and "diseases" like adhd, anxiety, etc... Cannot convince me a dog or cat will help you out that much. People are abusing the system. Because of pictures like this I have no problem bringing a lap infant in first/business with an award ticket. It's appalling how many people defend "emotional support" pets, but can't tolerate a human traveling. USA is weird sometimes.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:40 pm

I love dogs and wouldn't mind flying with them in general, but if a dog shat on my laptop bag I might have to be physically restrained from pulling a Jack Black in Anchorman.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL-PM, 1MM; HH-Gold; Avis First
Has anybody thought about how a pet of that size cold affect the humans in the event of an emergency?

The allergy issue appears to be ignored by Delta. If you're allergic, it's your problem. You move or rebook.

There's a ton of posts and comments about this on FB.

The ESA fraud has got to end. Hopefully before one of these pets causes a real problem.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by FrontRow
Has anybody thought about how a pet of that size cold affect the humans in the event of an emergency?

The allergy issue appears to be ignored by Delta. If you're allergic, it's your problem. You move or rebook.

There's a ton of posts and comments about this on FB.

The ESA fraud has got to end. Hopefully before one of these pets causes a real problem.
In an emergency, we are all going to die.

People that have allergies need to find a cure, move, or die off. I prefer the dying off but science is keeping them alive.

FB has lots of comments on everything.

I'll give you point 4.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Arch103
I know plenty of people who fly with their pets as an ESA. They use the ESA when it is convenient to bring the pet along (like to visit extended family) but not if it is an international trip or somewhere the pet can't come. To be clear, these are pets. But since practically everyone has some sort of emotional need he/she could claim (anxiety, stress, a history of ..., even if in the distant past) or just gets how to play the system, the pet is registered as an ESA for the flight on which it is convenient to "need" the pet.

Maybe it is the social circles I see, but I don't know anyone who has a real ESA, only people who have ESA-of-convenience.
This. This is exactly the issue and where the scepticism comes from EVERYTIME I see an ESA. For the record. I know A person who has pulled this same thing. Ridiculous !
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
in all likelihood, not the people who put their own wishes ahead of following rules
Originally Posted by yohanson
In an emergency, we are all going to die.
maybe not "all"; I'd guess there's a significantly higher probability that at least one casualty would be someone who's more concerned about their animal's survival than following the crew's instructions to evacuate in the emergency situation
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:42 am

I would add children, the elderly, the handicapped, and the obese as potential barriers during an emergency.
Inebriated people would also be a potential negative factor during an emergency so perhaps alcohol shouldn't be served.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Is the size of the animal crate posted anywhere?

At the gate could there be a animal crate test frame like there is for carry-on luggage?

I was "treated" to an adjacent lap-dog on my last flight since its crate wouldn't fit under the seat. A sniffing, lapping, bouncy, squirmy, hair and dander-flying lap-dog. It almost never sat. Stood and circled. It definitely didn't make me feel positive toward Delta, the dog owner, or the dog.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Romelle
Is the size of the animal crate posted anywhere?

At the gate could there be a animal crate test frame like there is for carry-on luggage?

I was "treated" to an adjacent lap-dog on my last flight since its crate wouldn't fit under the seat. A sniffing, lapping, bouncy, squirmy, hair and dander-flying lap-dog. It almost never sat. Stood and circled. It definitely didn't make me feel positive toward Delta, the dog owner, or the dog.
Where was its crate during the flight? I hope you complained.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
They're told to leave the flight.
Wait? What?! We make all kinds of accommodations for passengers with "peanut allergies", but passengers with allergies to animal dander are just told to get off the plane? I find it pretty amazing that someone who conceivably could have paid thousands of dollars (in the case of transcontinental delta one) would be told to get off the plane so some stupid "emotional support" creature could fly for free.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Any support animal I have had along those lines has generally been in the form of a club sandwich. I fee emotionally satisfied after eating it.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Wait? What?! We make all kinds of accommodations for passengers with "peanut allergies", but passengers with allergies to animal dander are just told to get off the plane? I find it pretty amazing that someone who conceivably could have paid thousands of dollars (in the case of transcontinental delta one) would be told to get off the plane so some stupid "emotional support" creature could fly for free.
I have pretty bad cat allergies and have sat next to a pax with a cat under the seat in front of me and did not have any issues. While I don't doubt that some people with allergies would react, I think this issue is probably overblown. Also, thankfully DL has air vents on all their planes so it is fairly easy to get freshly filtered air.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
Is it "absolute need" or is it a desire?
Is there an "absolute need" for anyone to travel anywhere for vacation?
Is there an "absolute need" to bring one's child on a vacation?
Is there an "absolute need" to drink alcohol on a plane?
Is there an "absolute need" for obese people to travel and ruin the experience for everyone else?
Did I strike a nerve there? To me, when the individual goes to the extent of faking ESA to bring the pet along for a vacation, it is no longer a desire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.