Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by kulflyer
Did I strike a nerve there? To me, when the individual goes to the extent of faking ESA to bring the pet along for a vacation, it is no longer a desire.
No nerve struck.
And your post didn't say "faking ESA to bring the pet along for a vacation".

What you said was "I never understand the absolute need to take pets on vacations."

If you meant faking ESAs, then you probably should have said that. @:-)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I have pretty bad cat allergies and have sat next to a pax with a cat under the seat in front of me and did not have any issues. While I don't doubt that some people with allergies would react, I think this issue is probably overblown. Also, thankfully DL has air vents on all their planes so it is fairly easy to get freshly filtered air.
This.
If you search the literature, it's pretty difficult to find evidence of actual reactions due to pets in a cabin. In fact, people are exposed to animals that they are allergic to more often than they typically realize.
And lots of people misuse the term "allergy". An allergy is a specific kind of immunological reaction.
For example, people often say "I have an allergy to milk" when they are simply lactose intolerant or "I have an allergy to penicillin" when it's just that penicillin gives them nausea and diarrhea.
There are many examples.

It all basically boils down to people building a narrative to fit a personal bias.

And it's also a great example of the fluidity of moral outrage.
"How dare someone take advantage of ESA regulations?!?!"
But then...
"So what if I drive over the speed limit at times. Everyone else does" or "It's ok if I pad my charitable donations on my taxes".
Breaking rules is terrible when other people do it and they offend my sensibilities. But I can easily justify it when I do things that suit my needs.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
It all basically boils down to people building a narrative to fit a personal bias.

And it's also a great example of the fluidity of moral outrage.
"How dare someone take advantage of ESA regulations?!?!"
But then...
"So what if I drive over the speed limit at times. Everyone else does" or "It's ok if I pad my charitable donations on my taxes".
Breaking rules is terrible when other people do it and they offend my sensibilities. But I can easily justify it when I do things that suit my needs.
situational ethics ... sadly, seems to be a very common attribute among an increasing percentage of the population
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where was its crate during the flight? I hope you complained.
The flight attendant carried the crate off and tucked it somewhere up front. I guess I was too stunned at the time to complain. The FA later came back a couple times and petted the dog and talked about how cute he was. I've since learned quite a bit about emotional support critters. I hope there isn't a next time, but I'm prepared.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
Originally Posted by Romelle
Is the size of the animal crate posted anywhere?

At the gate could there be a animal crate test frame like there is for carry-on luggage?

I was "treated" to an adjacent lap-dog on my last flight since its crate wouldn't fit under the seat. A sniffing, lapping, bouncy, squirmy, hair and dander-flying lap-dog. It almost never sat. Stood and circled. It definitely didn't make me feel positive toward Delta, the dog owner, or the dog.
Sheepdog had no crate.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
No nerve struck.
And your post didn't say "faking ESA to bring the pet along for a vacation".

What you said was "I never understand the absolute need to take pets on vacations."

If you meant faking ESAs, then you probably should have said that. @:-)
Considering the topic of discussion and multiple previous posts about pax faking ESA documentation to bring pets on board I assumed that the reader can follow the flow of the thread. My apologies for making the assumption.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I have pretty bad cat allergies and have sat next to a pax with a cat under the seat in front of me and did not have any issues. While I don't doubt that some people with allergies would react, I think this issue is probably overblown. Also, thankfully DL has air vents on all their planes so it is fairly easy to get freshly filtered air.
Then how do they rationalize the paranoia over peanuts where apparently one peanut on the upper deck of a 747 will cause someone with a peanut allergy sitting in the last row of coach on the main deck to immediately go into anaphylactic shock (or so we're led to believe)?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Then how do they rationalize the paranoia over peanuts where apparently one peanut on the upper deck of a 747 will cause someone with a peanut allergy sitting in the last row of coach on the main deck to immediately go into anaphylactic shock (or so we're led to believe)?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by SKYEG
How can people actually prove that some people fake the need of an ESA? I never even thought twice to think that some people do this. That would be disgusting. I can't imagine people would sink that low.
An exceptionally well known physicist in the IT industry I know had done exactly that. And the dog is a Newfoundland or similar. He had a hissy fit when I petted it one day as I manouevred my way around it in a corridor saying "hey, that is an emotional support dog so hands off!!!".....my reply of "well the dog doesn't know that and seems to be enjoying it" caused much mirth to observers and guaranteed a frosty stare every time he saw me. Perfect!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
It is demoralizing to see where we have gotten to.

Two hundred years ago, entire families were trekking across the continent in Conestoga wagons. Across barren plains and parch deserts. Risking starvation, dying of thirst, or attacks by indigenous populations. With the knowledge that there was a significant probability that some would not make it to the end of the journey.

Now, someone needs an emotional support animal to help them endure a two hour flight on what is demonstrably the safest mode of transportation that mankind has ever created.

Perhaps the horses or mules pulling the Conestoga wagons were ESAs?

Reminds me of a recent article asserting the low percentage of folks who, after a catastrophic national emergency, would not know how to build a fire to cook their food (or, for that matter, how to find food).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Reminds me of a recent article asserting the low percentage of folks who, after a catastrophic national emergency, would not know how to build a fire to cook their food (or, for that matter, how to find food).
Isn't it good to have a low percentage that don't know how to build a fire to cook?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold

Two hundred years ago, entire families were trekking across the continent in Conestoga wagons. Across barren plains and parch deserts. Risking starvation, dying of thirst, or attacks by indigenous populations. With the knowledge that there was a significant probability that some would not make it to the end of the journey.

Now, someone needs an emotional support animal to help them endure a two hour flight on what is demonstrably the safest mode of transportation that mankind has ever created.

I'm pretty sure open flames are no longer allowed in aircraft cabins, but you can bet I certainly can find the snack basket on most Delta aircraft!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:41 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

Two hundred years ago, entire families were trekking across the continent in Conestoga wagons.

Now, someone needs an emotional support animal to help them endure a two hour flight
Waaaay back yonder, back in them thar days, people didn't need ESAs because they had their best friend with them . . . .

Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

On the other hand, you could sit in amazement at how progressive and advanced our society has become, and that it works for so many more people than it used to, and that we are able to use our wealth and knowledge to include people. 200 years ago, the person who needed emotional support may have been abused, thrown out or sent to an asylum. They would not have been able to go west, if they were able to survive at all. Now, with appropriate treatment and accommodations, they can participate in society.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKYEG
How can people actually prove that some people fake the need of an ESA? I never even thought twice to think that some people do this. That would be disgusting. I can't imagine people would sink that low.
Really?

https://thedogtor.net/?gclid=Cj0KEQi...inUaAj-C8P8HAQ

http://www.workingservicedog.com/emo...portdog-2.aspx

From what I've seen, I'd be surprised if even 5% of the people claiming emotional support dogs are legitimate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.