Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
it doesn't apply at all to regular pets, since pets are only allowed in the cabin if they are in a carrier that fits under the seat.
Exactly, ESA's don't go in carrier and may take up the space of 2 or 3 seats.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be better if the "compromise" applied also to emotional support animals and not just pets.
That's what i meant - if the animal, regardless of status, is too big, the passenger should have to buy a seat for it IMHO.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:30 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
That's what i meant - if the animal, regardless of status, is too big, the passenger should have to buy a seat for it IMHO.
that's already the policy. Whether it's actually enforced or not is a different matter.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
that's already the policy. Whether it's actually enforced or not is a different matter.
From the numerous stories on this board, it would seem like the rules are rarely enforced.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
it doesn't apply at all to regular pets, since pets are only allowed in the cabin if they are in a carrier that fits under the seat.
The suggestion was to allow pets in the cabin providing that the owner purchases an extra seat if needed. I suggested that people with ESAs should also be required to purchase the second seat if needed.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
It wasn't enforced on my most recent flight. Two people in C+ were relocated to the very back of regular coach so that an uncaged dog could stretch out in the bulkhead row. From the behavior, I assume it was an ESA.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Maybe it's not the money.
I think a lot of pet owners go to the effort and expense of getting the ESA letter so the dog can get out of the carrier and sit on their lap.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The suggestion was to allow pets in the cabin providing that the owner purchases an extra seat if needed. I suggested that people with ESAs should also be required to purchase the second seat if needed.
I do think that this would help cut down on some of the abuse of ESA. I think that people are really loath to put pets in the cargo hold with all of the horror stories out there about what can happen to them. I would certainly never do it to my dog. My animal fits perfectly under the seat, he is very small. I find the pet pricing to be infuriating.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
...I find the pet pricing to be infuriating.
The pet fee is just another example of a fee that has no realistic relationship to the actual incremental cost to the airline.

It is only that high because the airline is in position to unjustly dictate terms.

That said, I do not support the practice of declaring a pet to be an ESA in order to fraudulently avoid the fee.

Pet owners should be fighting the fee, not ducking it.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I find the pet pricing to be infuriating.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The pet fee is just another example of a fee that has no realistic relationship to the actual incremental cost to the airline.

It is only that high because the airline is in position to unjustly dictate terms.
... which is also known as "pricing" I mean things like french fries and sodas are sold in fast food establishments for significantly more than their incremental cost to the restaurant.

If *everyone* wanted to travel with a pet then the price would probably rapidly approach the incremental cost. In the absence of that condition, an airline could just as well choose to price it high enough to discourage it if they feel it's a hassle and/or annoys other customers (whether said annoyance is justified or not)
Old May 29, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
... which is also known as "pricing" I mean things like french fries and sodas are sold in fast food establishments for significantly more than their incremental cost to the restaurant.
The free market argument only goes so far with airlines, IMO. They form an essential part of the infrastructure of the country and are in various ways tax-payer subsidized (some airports and airlines more than others). They risk inviting more regulation the more obnoxious they become with fees.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The free market argument only goes so far with airlines, IMO. They form an essential part of the infrastructure of the country and are in various ways tax-payer subsidized (some airports and airlines more than others). They risk inviting more regulation the more obnoxious they become with fees.
I'm sympathetic, believe me*, but I don't think freedom to travel equates to right to travel in a mode of conveyance that is convenient, sort of like the old saw about how freedom of speech doesn't mean the government has to provide you with a free printing press. Not sure how strongly I feel this though so maybe I could still be persuaded.

*long-time pet owner, though currently between cats (and likely to remain so as long as I keep traveling frequently), though I haven't ever flown with a pet
Old May 29, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

If *everyone* wanted to travel with a pet then the price would probably rapidly approach the incremental cost. In the absence of that condition, an airline could just as well choose to price it high enough to discourage it if they feel it's a hassle and/or annoys other customers (whether said annoyance is justified or not)
yet again an instance of macroeconomics vs microeconomics (from the guy who's not anywhere fluent in theories of economics) ... the airline's analysts and decisionmakers clearly believe the fees are reasonable, but a goodly number of travelers feel they're exorbitant, an unreasonable imposition on personal freedom to travel with a pet, etc etc

over the past 30 years we have willingly paid whatever fees were required to bring a cat in an approved under-seat carrier on the plane with us ... none of the trips were hassle-free, but none of the hassles involved other passengers or FAs

pic is from Apr 2015, DCA-MSP-SEA
Attached Images  
Old May 29, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
over the past 30 years we have willingly paid whatever fees were required to bring a cat in an approved under-seat carrier on the plane with us
Please tell me you have a FF card in your cat's name from some airline
Old May 29, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Please tell me you have a FF card in your cat's name from some airline
I'll tell you, but it would be a lie:
1987 - UA, LAX-SEA
2001 - CO, SEA-EWR-BWI
2015 - DL, DCA-MSP-SEA
(obviously three different cats)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.