Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:57 pm

The fake ESA animals are getting out of hand. I am slightly allergic to most pets and have had to fly with sniffles and sneezes a few times during the past two years because of a pet on board. It is not enough to complain, but if the fake ESA animal keeps escalating as it is now, we will soon see very few flights without an animal or even multiple animals on board. I agree with previous posters that there should a mandatory training and certification program for ESA animals. Of course someone would come up with a way to purchase fake certificates. In the case of the passenger being attacked by an ESA, that animal should no longer be allowed to be claimed an ESA and only allowed to fly in a kennel like a normal pet.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I want to say it again: at least for small animals that fit under the seat and are in place of the free carry on the pax is entitled to, charge a more reasonable pet travel fee ($25 each way max) and watch most of the fake ESA problems disappear. This does not solve the big animal issue, but it would solve the issue for many, many people. the $150 each way fee is obnoxious and people will continue to find a way around that. It is not right to fake needing an ESA, but I also don't think it's right for the airline to charge insane fees.
I think it would help a lot. Can you imagine the outrage if airlines started charging $150 for parents to bring a lap child on board to encourage them to buy a seat for their small child? People whining that pets shouldn't be allowed on an airplane are starting to become as common as people complaining about kids on an airplane.

Just like there are times parents have to fly with their infants there are times people have to fly with their pets and I don't think the airlines should be punishing people for it. People aren't going to fly with a pet in most cases unless they have to and if it's a small $25 fee most people will just pay it but when it becomes a $300 fee roundtrip plus the pet is suppose to be your carryon (that's the thing that pisses me off most about this fee) it's no wonder people are registering their pets as ESA.

So far I have just paid the fee since I only have to fly with a cat a few times a year and have never had an issue bringing my rollerbag on board with a pet but the first time I am required to check a bag as soon as the wifi starts working on board I'm going to be jumping online registering the cat as a ESA just so I can carry on.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Some airlines limit the total number of animals allowed on each flight. You are potentially preventing someone who actually has a disability requiring a service animal from flying.
Uhh, negative.

Some airlines do limit the number of pets per flight, but US carriers possess no authority to limit the number of seeing-eye dogs, service animals, therapy dogs or emotional support animals on a given flight. Federal law is funny that way . . .
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I want to say it again: at least for small animals that fit under the seat and are in place of the free carry on the pax is entitled to, charge a more reasonable pet travel fee ($25 each way max) and watch most of the fake ESA problems disappear. This does not solve the big animal issue, but it would solve the issue for many, many people. the $150 each way fee is obnoxious and people will continue to find a way around that. It is not right to fake needing an ESA, but I also don't think it's right for the airline to charge insane fees.
Or could it be that the airlines charge high fees because they want to discourage in-cabin pets? WN, which is otherwise quite liberal regarding additional fees, charges $95 one-way for an in-cabin pet.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PTravel
If a dog growled at me, I would insist it and its owner be removed, or I would treat it as an IDB.

If I were seated next to a 50 pound dog, particularly if I were in the window seat, I would insist that it and its owner be removed, as it would present an evacuation obstacle, even if it were the most gentle and friendly dog in the universe.

The ACA precludes ANY animal, service or ESA, from intruding into another passenger's space. I would have some tolerance for a true service animal, particularly if it were a relatively short flight, but none for an ESA. I would insist that the animal and its owner be removed, and would respond as I would with a COS who intruded significantly into my space.

This is a real concern for my wife, who is cat-phobic. Fortunately, it's not been an issue for us yet.
Yes it precludes an animal from encroaching. However the DOT rules say it is you to be moved if an issue arises. Thus the rules make for somewhat of a nightmare. Can want to treat it as IDB, but it won't be.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Just like there are times parents have to fly with their infants there are times people have to fly with their pets and I don't think the airlines should be punishing people for it.
I'm not looking for an argument, but I'm curious: how many times have you had to fly with your pet, as opposed to simply wanting to? And if I'm not being too intrusive, can you explain why?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I think it would help a lot. Can you imagine the outrage if airlines started charging $150 for parents to bring a lap child on board to encourage them to buy a seat for their small child? People whining that pets shouldn't be allowed on an airplane are starting to become as common as people complaining about kids on an airplane.

Just like there are times parents have to fly with their infants there are times people have to fly with their pets and I don't think the airlines should be punishing people for it. People aren't going to fly with a pet in most cases unless they have to and if it's a small $25 fee most people will just pay it but when it becomes a $300 fee roundtrip plus the pet is suppose to be your carryon (that's the thing that pisses me off most about this fee) it's no wonder people are registering their pets as ESA.

So far I have just paid the fee since I only have to fly with a cat a few times a year and have never had an issue bringing my rollerbag on board with a pet but the first time I am required to check a bag as soon as the wifi starts working on board I'm going to be jumping online registering the cat as a ESA just so I can carry on.
Airlines do charge for lap infants. 10% of adult fare, which can easily be $100 or more. Only free for domestic flights.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes it precludes an animal from encroaching. However the DOT rules say it is you to be moved if an issue arises. Thus the rules make for somewhat of a nightmare.
Are you sure about that? I'm not challenging you. It's been a long time since I read the applicable CFRs, but my recollection was that an animal, whether service, ESA or pet, could be refused boarding if it didn't fit within its owner's space.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Why in the world do you think you can dictate what an airline charges for a service?

Airlines charge the high prices to discourage people from bringing pets on board. I applaud all efforts to keep the cabin animal free. Animals bark and generally make noise. Animals get nervous and void bowel and bladder. Animals cause problems for people with asthma.

Unless you are moving permanently long distance, there is no need to schlep your poor, stressed pet along with you. If you absolutely feel compelled to bring it, the price is published.

Faking a disability is disgusting. But I guess there are a lot of people out there who have no shame.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You are faking a disability to get preferential treatment either way. I don't find that acceptable. Some people may.

Some airlines limit the total number of animals allowed on each flight. You are potentially preventing someone who actually has a disability requiring a service animal from flying.

Safe travels,

Doc
Sorry to disappoint. Airlines can't limit number of ESA/service animals.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Sorry to disappoint. Airlines can't limit number of ESA/service animals.
I guess our airplanes will soon look like rural South American buses, then.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by gooselee
Ok. Replace "fake" with "untrained" or "actually-just-a-pet".
All ESAs are essentially "just a pet". The "certification" as it stands today is for the human, not the animal. That is, the human gets a "prescription" from a ... professional (of some sort, I don't think it necessarily has to be a medical doctor, possibly a licensed therapist/psychologist, whatever) and then that patient gets whatever animal he personally wants. Nobody is certifying "official ESA" animals. There may be trainers who specifically train animals to serve as ESAs, but that's irrelevant to airlines and the regulations.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Airlines do charge for lap infants. 10% of adult fare, which can easily be $100 or more. Only free for domestic flights.
I was referring to domestic flights. Can you imagine the outrage if parents were told there was a $150 o/w fee for a lap infant and they also couldn't have a carry on?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by stallion114
To be honest I could not give less of a hoot what anyone on here thinks.
I think its kind of funny that people seem to take exception to abusing the ESA but have no problem circumventing airline fees whenever possible.

As I previously stated I am against ESA, but I will take advantage of the situation when given the opportunity.
You certainly seem to, based on your need to rebut every comment here directed toward you.

If you fell asleep on the subway and someone stole your wallet, you'd be sure to profusely thank and appreciate them for doing so, right? After all, they had the opportunity to take advantage of you, so why shouldn't they?

Faking a disability is disgusting. But I guess there are a lot of people out there who have no shame.
This.

Originally Posted by pvn
All ESAs are essentially "just a pet". The "certification" as it stands today is for the human, not the animal. That is, the human gets a "prescription" from a ... professional (of some sort, I don't think it necessarily has to be a medical doctor, possibly a licensed therapist/psychologist, whatever) and then that patient gets whatever animal he personally wants. Nobody is certifying "official ESA" animals. There may be trainers who specifically train animals to serve as ESAs, but that's irrelevant to airlines and the regulations.
This is all true. Currently, there is no standard used by airlines to certify animals that serve as ESAs. However, the conversation you keep responding to is about a suggestion that perhaps training/certifying the animals themselves is a potential solution to the growing problem of misbehaving ESAs on aircraft. The post I was originally replying to, which took us down this path, was in regards to a suggestion by PTravel that a new certification focused on the ESA itself be put in place/required for travel.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why in the world do you think you can dictate what an airline charges for a service?

Airlines charge the high prices to discourage people from bringing pets on board. I applaud all efforts to keep the cabin animal free. Animals bark and generally make noise. Animals get nervous and void bowel and bladder. Animals cause problems for people with asthma.

Unless you are moving permanently long distance, there is no need to schlep your poor, stressed pet along with you. If you absolutely feel compelled to bring it, the price is published.

I feel that same way about loud infants. Would you feel the same way if airlines started charging a $150 fee for a lap held infant? Just like there are reasons people need to bring their infants with them people need to fly with pets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.