Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Offered in the true South Of the Mason Dixon Line context, I trust.

^^
-----
LOL. I used to think people saying this were just very "religious" until someone who lived in the South for a while told me what the translation is.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----
LOL. I used to think people saying this were just very "religious" until someone who lived in the South for a while told me what the translation is.
So, I gather that you have heard this a few times?

Every culture has its "secrets" that outsiders cannot fathom.

I prefer the variation: "Well bless your heart, sugah." Adds a bit of emphasis.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:45 pm

[QUOTE=beachmiles;28412173]
Originally Posted by PTravel
You are aware, are you not, that this thread was revived when a thread about an ESA who attacked and mauled a passenger on Delta was moved over here? Or do you think that whatever percentage of ESA flyers have a legitimate need cancels out this kind of concern

Stuff happens,.... rarely.
What happens more often is the untrained, household pet which doubles as an ESA attacks a fully trained, credentialed service animal, in many cases undoing thousands of hours of training and rendering the service animal unfit to perform their duties for someone who relies on them every waking moment.

So yes, it's kind of a big deal.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
I think that the ESA situation has definitely gotten worse over the past 5-10 years. When my labradoodle was still with us, he would fly in cargo because we understood that that was the price of having our dog with us (mainly moving between HKG and the US).

Over the past 2 years I have seen a guy flip out because his ESA chinchilla was not being accepted for travel by LX as it did not have the correct paperwork to travel into the EU. He was loudly complaining that his chinchilla was an ESA and that it must fly with him. The GA indicated that was correct, but since the chinchilla did not have a vaccination certificate, it could not fly tonight.

Another experience was when I was flying back FLL-PVD on WN and there was a woman who claimed an ESA, even though the dog was adopted 3 days prior in the Bahamas. Midway through the flight, I felt something rub past my ankle, followed by a foul odor. The dog had decided that he was going to defecate right where my feet were (I was wearing sandals). The WN FAs were highly sympathetic, allowing me to sit in the jumpseat for the remainder of the flight. Upon landing in PVD, I was met by the station supervisor who had been radioed while we were in air who offered me $250 on the spot. The owner was also stopped in the jetway and had to explain how she was sitting in 27E and her dog ended up in 14F. It just so happened that another passenger was passing by when he relayed that he heard that the dog had come in from the Bahamas, and therefore was not an ESA. At the baggage claim another WN supervisor came over to me and told me that the woman admitted that she had played the ESA system and that she was banned for life from WN.

Also, how are ESAs handled in a rabies-free country such as Australia? Since all inbound pets are required to be in quarantine, how do ESAs get a free pass?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard

Also, how are ESAs handled in a rabies-free country such as Australia? Since all inbound pets are required to be in quarantine, how do ESAs get a free pass?
ESA's are allowed by US law. US law cannot force another country's customs to allow your ESA in.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
ESA's are allowed by US law. US law cannot force another country's customs to allow your ESA in.
LHR is a good example. Airlines that let improperly documented ESANs on LHR-bound flights can be fined and the ESAN could be put down. I think that applies to all live animals going to UK.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:16 am

Or could it be that the airlines charge high fees because they want to discourage in-cabin pets? WN, which is otherwise quite liberal regarding additional fees, charges $95 one-way for an in-cabin pet.
Which is just under the triple digit ($100) whining trigger.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by fgirard
I think that the ESA situation has definitely gotten worse over the past 5-10 years. When my labradoodle was still with us, he would fly in cargo because we understood that that was the price of having our dog with us (mainly moving between HKG and the US).

Over the past 2 years I have seen a guy flip out because his ESA chinchilla was not being accepted for travel by LX as it did not have the correct paperwork to travel into the EU. He was loudly complaining that his chinchilla was an ESA and that it must fly with him. The GA indicated that was correct, but since the chinchilla did not have a vaccination certificate, it could not fly tonight.

Another experience was when I was flying back FLL-PVD on WN and there was a woman who claimed an ESA, even though the dog was adopted 3 days prior in the Bahamas. Midway through the flight, I felt something rub past my ankle, followed by a foul odor. The dog had decided that he was going to defecate right where my feet were (I was wearing sandals). The WN FAs were highly sympathetic, allowing me to sit in the jumpseat for the remainder of the flight. Upon landing in PVD, I was met by the station supervisor who had been radioed while we were in air who offered me $250 on the spot. The owner was also stopped in the jetway and had to explain how she was sitting in 27E and her dog ended up in 14F. It just so happened that another passenger was passing by when he relayed that he heard that the dog had come in from the Bahamas, and therefore was not an ESA. At the baggage claim another WN supervisor came over to me and told me that the woman admitted that she had played the ESA system and that she was banned for life from WN.

IMHO, the great majority of people with ESA's are simply scamming the system. They either don't want to pay the fee, or they can't imagine Fido having to travel in the hold. AFAIK, there are no requirements or regulations related to ESA's. The animals aren't trained, nor are the people with them. If someone is truly so disabled that they can't fly without their pet, there are other modes of transportation available. If the ESA program was regulated, so that a licensed mental health professional signed off on it, and a training program was required for the animal, I could sign on. And you would see far fewer ESA's in the cabin.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Snowdevil;28412633]
Originally Posted by beachmiles

What happens more often is the untrained, household pet which doubles as an ESA attacks a fully trained, credentialed service animal, in many cases undoing thousands of hours of training and rendering the service animal unfit to perform their duties for someone who relies on them every waking moment.

So yes, it's kind of a big deal.
Very good point. ^

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Because, when it happens, it will have been to late to prevent it?
Exactly. ^

Originally Posted by zitsky
I have sympathy for anyone's phobia. But the thought of some one freaked out by little fluffy kitty cat surprises me. I think we see from the recent story that dogs are more dangerous than cats. When is the last time a house cat mauled or killed someone?
Phobia is defined as an IRRATIONAL fear, and phobias are very real and quite common. If you don't have one, you're lucky.

Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm guessing someone who was scratched or bitten by a cat as a child.
And you've guessed wrong. That's why trained and licensed professionals treat phobias, and not lay people who know little or nothing about the subject.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
You are aware, are you not, that this thread was revived when a thread about an ESA who attacked and mauled a passenger on Delta was moved over here? Or do you think that whatever percentage of ESA flyers have a legitimate need cancels out this kind of concern?
And this was an isolated incident and not worth banning all ESA's on.

There are a lot of problems with drunk passengers but I don't see anyone advocating for airlines to stop serving alcohol on board.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Dog walking up and down the aisle

I saw a small puppy walk up and down the aisle during landing last week on a night flight. When I saw this furry thing walk past me, I did a double take. What is that? I was shocked. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I looked around me, everyone was sleeping. There was no sign of who the owner was. I looked at the FA and she couldn't see what was going on because she was sitting at the jumper seat by the door. This goes on for 5 minutes as the dog kept pacing up and down the aisle. Finally the FA in the back saw this and came up and asked who the owner was and the owner didn't even know her dog had escaped out of the bag underneath the seat. The owner said her dog must have been anxious as it has been travelling all day and wanted to get out of the bag. Thankfully, the dog was well behaved and quickly scooted back into the bag.

It was a pretty empty flight so everyone was pretty mellow including the FA who implored the owner to keep an eye on her pet at all times, in a very calm manner. No one freaked out.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
So I came across this headline:

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/...&ICID=ref_fark

(And just realized this was discussed further up, although I haven't found the link yet. Sorry if I reposted. Don't see a way to delete my post.)
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh

There are a lot of problems with drunk passengers but I don't see anyone advocating for airlines to stop serving alcohol on board.
A ridiculous comparison. For one, passengers suspect of being intoxicated may be refused boarding. Few here are suggesting all pets be banned from the cabin, there just needs to be better rules in place to protect the other passengers. ESA's are pets, not service animals, and should be subjected to the same rules and regulations as pets, including being kenneled or crated during the duration of the flight.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh

First of all, I haven't advocated banning ESAs. I have advocated having a certification program for ESAs similar to that for service animals, in which they are required to be specifically trained to accompany their owner in public, and are tested to ensure that they can do so safely.

Next, you seem to be suggesting that anything less than a mauling is acceptable. It is not. FT is rife with stories of ESAs being general nuisances, defecating, wandering, barking, etc. Service animals are specifically trained NOT to do these things. ESAs should be trained and certified in the same way.

If, however, you are advocating for the current system, i.e. people can bring their pets on board by paying a de minimus fee to a fake on-line shrink then, yes, I think all ESAs should be banned.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by susanc
A ridiculous comparison. For one, passengers suspect of being intoxicated may be refused boarding. Few here are suggesting all pets be banned from the cabin, there just needs to be better rules in place to protect the other passengers. ESA's are pets, not service animals, and should be subjected to the same rules and regulations as pets, including being kenneled or crated during the duration of the flight.
But the drunk guy has PTSD. He need his "Emotional Support Alcohol"

Ban ESA is like gun control, never ending debate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.