Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by PTravel
I'm not looking for an argument, but I'm curious: how many times have you had to fly with your pet, as opposed to simply wanting to? And if I'm not being too intrusive, can you explain why?
Every time I have flown with a pet was because I had to. I have a good friend that used to be part owner in a cattery and would sometimes fly to the cats to their new homes (there were some people that didn't want to fly to get the cat and I would fly with the cats to their new home since she refused to ship a pet in cargo). I've purchased cats before and the only way to get them home was flying. I've entered my cats in cat shows before which requires the cat to be there. If I'm going on vacation or work trip or any other trip outside of a cat show the cats stay home.

Just like someone isn't going to want to drive a long distance with an infant someone isn't going to want to drive me than a few hours with a pet.

Believe me flying with a pet isn't fun and I only do it if I have to.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Every time I have flown with a pet was because I had to. I have a good friend that used to be part owner in a cattery and would sometimes fly to the cats to their new homes (there were some people that didn't want to fly to get the cat and I would fly with the cats to their new home since she refused to ship a pet in cargo). I've purchased cats before and the only way to get them home was flying. I've entered my cats in cat shows before which requires the cat to be there. If I'm going on vacation or work trip or any other trip outside of a cat show the cats stay home.

Just like someone isn't going to want to drive a long distance with an infant someone isn't going to want to drive me than a few hours with a pet.

Believe me flying with a pet isn't fun and I only do it if I have to.
Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks. I suspect, too, that you're not one of those people who play the ESA game, or takes your feline traveling companions out of their carriers mid-flight.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by gooselee
If you fell asleep on the subway and someone stole your wallet, you'd be sure to profusely thank and appreciate them for doing so, right? After all, they had the opportunity to take advantage of you, so why shouldn't they?
That would be breaking the law. Using an ESA letter to travel with an animal is not breaking a law or even a rule considering it is allowed by the airline.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
...Faking a disability is disgusting. But I guess there are a lot of people out there who have no shame.
This. I sometimes wonder how some people can look themselves in the mirror.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:54 pm

Are you sure about that? I'm not challenging you. It's been a long time since I read the applicable CFRs, but my recollection was that an animal, whether service, ESA or pet, could be refused boarding if it didn't fit within its owner's space.
You are correct, BUT, the law requires that airlines make all reasonable accommodations necessary to accommodate the animal. That means if there is any open seat at all, it's going to be next to the owner, and the person sitting there can/must be moved elsewhere. If every seat is taken, then you have an easy case for booting the animal off because the airline can't reasonably accommodate.

This is assuming that the owner gives sufficient notice so that the airline doesn't have an undue burden. If an animal owner approached the GA at the end of boarding asking for seat adjustments, a CRO can refuse.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes it precludes an animal from encroaching. However the DOT rules say it is you to be moved if an issue arises. Thus the rules make for somewhat of a nightmare. Can want to treat it as IDB, but it won't be.
Info the in wiki in Travel buzz suggests that the ESA and passenger be moved http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1733424-definitive-discussion-emotional-support-animals-airlines.html
" If a service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location of the qualified individual with a disability whom the .animal is accompanying, the carrier shall offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location in the same class of service, if present on the aircraft, where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to requiring that the animal travel in the cargo hold (see section 382.37(c))."
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GMTmin8
Info the in wiki in Travel buzz suggests that the ESA and passenger be moved http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1733424-definitive-discussion-emotional-support-animals-airlines.html
" If a service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location of the qualified individual with a disability whom the .animal is accompanying, the carrier shall offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location in the same class of service, if present on the aircraft, where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to requiring that the animal travel in the cargo hold (see section 382.37(c))."
see widgets post. if theres one open seat then itll be next to the ESA passenger. Thus youll be the one moved to the non-reclining last row by the lav. Also if you complain you have an allergy or simply dont like aninals, youre the one the gets to take a later flight.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
see widgets post. if theres one open seat then itll be next to the ESA passenger. Thus youll be the one moved to the non-reclining last row by the lav. Also if you complain you have an allergy or simply dont like aninals, youre the one the gets to take a later flight.
I observed this on a recent flight. Someone was moved from C+ aisle to a seat in the back of coach to give an ESA its space. There was appparently a complaint that the ESA and its owner won in that I saw the GA, a redcoat, and someone who looked like a DL manager board and have a discussion at the C+ seat, but unfortunately I couldn't hear what was being said.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:17 pm

This assumes that the animal owner gave some advance notice (before boarding starts). The GA can easily move the pax next to the animal anywhere else and take cover behind the ACAA.

While the airline isn't technically required to move the other passenger if the animal owner doesn't give enough notice, the airline would probably rather have a complaint from the other passenger and not the person with the disability, so siding with the person with the disability is usually best.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks. I suspect, too, that you're not one of those people who play the ESA game, or takes your feline traveling companions out of their carriers mid-flight.
As much as I hate the fee, I don't play the ESA game but like I said if I ever get told I have to check my rollerbag I will to avoid having to check a bag (it's stressful enough travelling with a pet and the last thing I want to do is waste unnecessary time at an airport checking a bag and waiting on a bag, I want to get the pet home ASAP and spend as little time as possible at the airport). I'm not sure if agents just don't care about someone having a rollerbag or if they let it slide since I'm a diamond.

I never take a cat completely out of the carrier. My cats are Burmese which is a very friendly breed. There have been times I have put the carrier on my lap and unzipped the top a little and let a cat put his head out but I always ask the seatmate if they mind first and I always tell them it's a very friendly breed and feel free to pet the cat and they usually do. If someone says they have an issue with it then I'll just leave the carrier under the seat. I realize not everyone likes pets

Last edited by jamesteroh; Jun 5, 2017 at 8:28 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Why in the world do you think you can dictate what an airline charges for a service?
You are indeed " " (confused) as I don't pretend in anyway to dictate anything to an airline. I'm simply stating my opinion about the fees. I'm doing so because this is, you know, Flyertalk, where we do that. Did that help clear it up or still " "?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never take a cat completely out of the carrier. My cats are Burmese which is a very friendly breed. There have been times I have put the carrier on my lap and unzipped the top a little and let a cat put his head out but I always ask the seatmate if they mind first and I always tell them it's a very friendly breed and feel free to pet the cat and they usually do. If someone says they have an issue with it then I'll just leave the carrier under the seat. I realize not everyone likes pets
I'm sorry, but it's not simply a question of not liking pets. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my wife has a severe cat phobia. Just putting the carrier on your lap, unopened, would undoubtedly freak her out. And, needless to say, I care far more about my wife than about your cats. I'll just leave it at that.

I'd also note that, as has been mentioned in this and other threads, some people are extremely allergic to cats, even to the point of risking anaphylactic shock. It's not just a question of whether your seatmate doesn't like cats, or wants to pet the friendly cat. It's a question of being considerate of those flying with you. Here on FT, the general consensus is that bringing stinky food on board is rude. If merely creating offensive smells is inconsiderate, what is creating an allergic reaction?

For what it's worth, I'm far more partial to dogs than cats, but I would pet the friendly cat. But only if my wife weren't with me.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by gooselee
Make no mistake - that is exactly what you're doing, and by your posts you have no qualms about being that kind of person. You are leveraging and abusing and accommodation created for real people with real issues and disabilities for your own benefit, even while you fully realize and acknowledge that you are not impacted by the issues such an accommodation is meant to address. When you condense that down, you are using people with disabilities to your own benefit.
I guess I just fail to realize how I am hurting anyone by getting an ESA. I am not making the connection between preventing those with disabilities from getting an ESA.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I feel that same way about loud infants. Would you feel the same way if airlines started charging a $150 fee for a lap held infant? Just like there are reasons people need to bring their infants with them people need to fly with pets.
Children have to travel with their parents. Period.

Children are people.

Airlines are free to charge whatever the traffic will bear for lap infants. If the charge nears the charge for a seat for the child, I suspect a lot more people will buy a seat. It would be safer for the child, anyway.

Safe Travels.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Well, bless your heart.
Offered in the true South Of the Mason Dixon Line context, I trust.

^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.