Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 12:53 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat

My wife had this dog on a recent flight, this is the view of her legs.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If people have to do a lot of flying with a pet I could see why they would be tempted do it. If someone flies once a year with a pet and the fee is more reasonable like $50 each way (which is still a little too high in my opinion) people would be more likely to pay it and not get the pet registered as an ESA. Delta should also not consider the pet a carryon. I have been very lucky so far being able to take my rollarbag on but if a FA or GA ever says I have to gate check my rollarbag (which is absurd because if someone is travelling with a pet they sure don't want to waste time with the pet in line checking a bag and then waiting at baggage claim) I will seriously start looking at getting my cats registered as an ESA.
I have been told by a few people here, that the fee is intentionally unreasonable. DL wants you to leave your pets at home...too many potential issues on board, and too many other passengers don't like it.

I would suspect the EAS options will get considerably more restrictive in the coming years...which is sad, as I'm sure some people who really do need it will be left out.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by stallion114
I just flew with my 7lb “ESA” maltese for the first time.
I spent $180 for a letter from one of the therapy dog websites. Price was $150 +$30 for getting it in 24 hours.
While I have always been against animals (exception service dogs) on planes I was not about to spend $125 x 6 over the next 2 months for a dog the size of a toiletry bag.
He slept in my lap on 4 of 5 segments and passengers commented that they didn’t know he was on the plane when we were de-boarding (he was in the carrier during boarding). One passenger asked if I drugged him because he literally didn’t move for 3 hours. I was afraid he might start making noise if I left him in the carrier the whole time.

Charging $125 each way for a dog to sit in a carrier under my seat or sleep on my lap seems excessive. I would be in favor of eliminating ESA completely but I sure as heck wasn’t about to shell out a bunch of cash while everyone else freerolls.
If you cant beat em join em!
If a pet can fit in a carrier under the seat I think it should count as the personal item. Or charge a more reasonable fee of say $25-$50 each way.
So you're happy with the system because it benefits you. And those of us being honest are just suckers, I suppose?
Old May 30, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zitsky
So you're happy with the system because it benefits you. And those of us being honest are just suckers, I suppose?
Not sure where get any of that from the user's post. OP never stated he was happy with it. Even stated he thought the fees were off and that ESA's aren't used how they're supposed to. Simply stated that not going to pay an outrageous fee simply to be right while everyone else is scamming their way around the fees.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not sure where get any of that from the user's post. OP never stated he was happy with it. Even stated he thought the fees were off and that ESA's aren't used how they're supposed to. Simply stated that not going to pay an outrageous fee simply to be right while everyone else is scamming their way around the fees.
The OP gets a fake ESA letter like everyone else instead of being honest and paying the fee. In your own words OP is just another scammer.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I didnt make up my own letter, it is from a real licensed therapist with a physical location that reviewed my honest answers to the questions. It is just as authentic as any other ESA letter imo.

Like I said before I am totally fine with getting rid of ESA's and any animals in the cabin for that matter. I am not willing to make a silent protest by forking over $125 per oneway to the airlines while everyone else falls under ESA.

Either way my dog was coming with me and due to his size he qualified to ride in the cabin anyway.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If people have to do a lot of flying with a pet I could see why they would be tempted do it. If someone flies once a year with a pet and the fee is more reasonable like $50 each way (which is still a little too high in my opinion) people would be more likely to pay it and not get the pet registered as an ESA. Delta should also not consider the pet a carryon. I have been very lucky so far being able to take my rollarbag on but if a FA or GA ever says I have to gate check my rollarbag (which is absurd because if someone is travelling with a pet they sure don't want to waste time with the pet in line checking a bag and then waiting at baggage claim) I will seriously start looking at getting my cats registered as an ESA.
If you're traveling with an animal, aren't you required to check in at the special services counter (which is also used for wheelchairs and UM service)?
Old May 30, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're traveling with an animal, aren't you required to check in at the special services counter (which is also used for wheelchairs and UM service)?
No. You just need to check in at any counter, not online and not with a skycap. If you have informed the airline ahead of time that you are bringing an animal, you will not be able to complete online check in. For a service animal or ESA, you need to show documentation to the check in agent, who then prints a boarding pass that indicates that you are traveling with an animal (and that either the fee has been paid or that documentation for service/esa has been verified).

The special services counter would be if the animal were being flown in the luggage hold.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Kids bother me. Drunks bother me. Loud people bother me. Overweight people that come over into my seat bother me. People that don't like pets bother me. Maybe everyone that bothers everyone else should not be able to buy a ticket. Planes would be empty. I am amazed at some of the comments.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, just with a regular agent at the airport. Sometimes they will ask for proof of vacinations and other times they won't, YMMV situation. Not really sure what good it does anyway, someone could have the vaccinations of another pet so they have no real proof that pet flying is vaccinated anyway
Old May 30, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by stallion114
I just flew with my 7lb “ESA” maltese for the first time.
I spent $180 for a letter from one of the therapy dog websites. Price was $150 +$30 for getting it in 24 hours.
While I have always been against animals (exception service dogs) on planes I was not about to spend $125 x 6 over the next 2 months for a dog the size of a toiletry bag.
He slept in my lap on 4 of 5 segments and passengers commented that they didn’t know he was on the plane when we were de-boarding (he was in the carrier during boarding). One passenger asked if I drugged him because he literally didn’t move for 3 hours. I was afraid he might start making noise if I left him in the carrier the whole time.

Charging $125 each way for a dog to sit in a carrier under my seat or sleep on my lap seems excessive. I would be in favor of eliminating ESA completely but I sure as heck wasn’t about to shell out a bunch of cash while everyone else freerolls.
If you cant beat em join em!
If a pet can fit in a carrier under the seat I think it should count as the personal item. Or charge a more reasonable fee of say $25-$50 each way.
So, you admit that you are gaming the system.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Zorak
Please tell me you have a FF card in your cat's name from some airline
Well, it's apparently possible:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...-for-pets.html

DL... please... don't get any ideas.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No, just with a regular agent at the airport. Sometimes they will ask for proof of vacinations and other times they won't, YMMV situation. Not really sure what good it does anyway, someone could have the vaccinations of another pet so they have no real proof that pet flying is vaccinated anyway
It's a legal requirement for most countries. Along with being chipped.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At least some countries in Europe have a passport program for pets; it's tied into the microchip and IIRC vaccination records.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Delta Pax Mauled Onboard by ESA

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/258862347-story

Sorry to link to Fox; perhaps someone has another source.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.