Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/258862347-story

Sorry to link to Fox; perhaps someone has another source.
​​​​​
There's already an active thread about the story.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by stallion114
I just flew with my 7lb “ESA” maltese for the first time.
I spent $180 for a letter from one of the therapy dog websites. Price was $150 +$30 for getting it in 24 hours.
While I have always been against animals (exception service dogs) on planes I was not about to spend $125 x 6 over the next 2 months for a dog the size of a toiletry bag.
He slept in my lap on 4 of 5 segments and passengers commented that they didn’t know he was on the plane when we were de-boarding (he was in the carrier during boarding). One passenger asked if I drugged him because he literally didn’t move for 3 hours. I was afraid he might start making noise if I left him in the carrier the whole time.

Charging $125 each way for a dog to sit in a carrier under my seat or sleep on my lap seems excessive. I would be in favor of eliminating ESA completely but I sure as heck wasn’t about to shell out a bunch of cash while everyone else freerolls.
If you cant beat em join em!
If a pet can fit in a carrier under the seat I think it should count as the personal item. Or charge a more reasonable fee of say $25-$50 each way.

To me, what you did is like requesting a wheelchair so you can go to the front of the security line and board first.

Safe travels.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

There was a thread here on the incident, but it was moved, IIRC to TravelBuzz, and merged into a megathread.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There was a thread here on the incident, but it was moved, IIRC to TravelBuzz, and merged into a megathread.
Just noticed the move after posting about it. Asked that it be merged into this thread instead of moved to another forum.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:53 am

As the owner said, maybe they should put the dog down. How many attacks does it take?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If it's an ESA I don't understand why they can't require the pet to fly in carrier if it's small enough and if it's a large dog required it be muzzled.

If it's a service animal the dog is going to be trained properly. If it's a pet that is truly an ESA why would the passenger have an issue having a large dog muzzled or a smaller pet in a carrier? The pet is still with them and in the case of a dog will serve it's purpose as an ESA just as well muzzled as not muzzled.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Really? Trying to go mini-Omni here are you?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by zitsky
As the owner said, maybe they should put the dog down. How many attacks does it take?
If the owner is asking whether the dog *should* be put to sleep, I suspect this isn't the dog's first bite or attack. It sounds like the owner was aware of a viscous tendency, which then makes one ask why the owner had the dog in public without it being effectively under control. In the close quarters of an aricraft, a leash would not have been enough. IANAL but there could be a big liability issue too.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I have no doubt that there are some folks who truly need an ESA. Probably a small subset of all those claiming the need.

Regrettably, they are going to be inconvenienced when the airlines are finally forced to crack down on the abusers.

Another case of the bad folks making things tougher for the good folks.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Really? Trying to go mini-Omni here are you?
Don't know about you, but I like getting my news from multiple places.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have no doubt that there are some folks who truly need an ESA. Probably a small subset of all those claiming the need.

Regrettably, they are going to be inconvenienced when the airlines are finally forced to crack down on the abusers.

Another case of the bad folks making things tougher for the good folks.
This was my thought exactly.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

We dont even know if kt was provoked. It seems highly unlikely that both police would allow and Delta would accept the dog flying out on another flight otherwise.

No reason a dog especially one that sounds like is actually an ESA should be put down unless its a true danger of repeating.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Don't know about you, but I like getting my news from multiple places.
FWIW, the link above is to ATL's local FOX affiliate, and the reporter (Nathalie Pozo) is one of their local reporters. She also does stuff like gas station robberies, water meter issues, bridge collapses on major interstates, etc.

Yes, there's an affiliation, but in this instance, it'd be fair to treat this a little differently than the national cable version of Fox News. </omni>

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This was my thought exactly.
+2

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No reason a dog especially one that sounds like is actually an ESA should be put down unless its a true danger of repeating.
While I agree that putting the dog down is a bit extreme, the fact remains that a dog injured another person. The dog's owner is responsible for the dogs actions and behavior, trained or not. Thus, there should at least be consequences here for the owner.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
We dont even know if kt was provoked. It seems highly unlikely that both police would allow and Delta would accept the dog flying out on another flight otherwise.

It would be pretty stupid to provoke an animal that will be uncaged/unrestrained and sitting next to you on a flight. The injured passenger seems to be an adult.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If it's an ESA I don't understand why they can't require the pet to fly in carrier if it's small enough and if it's a large dog required it be muzzled.

If it's a service animal the dog is going to be trained properly. If it's a pet that is truly an ESA why would the passenger have an issue having a large dog muzzled or a smaller pet in a carrier? The pet is still with them and in the case of a dog will serve it's purpose as an ESA just as well muzzled as not muzzled.
I don't think an emotional support animal can usually perform its function if it's in a kennel under a seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.