Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
So my question is this: How will you know whether the cat you're killing is out of its carrier "in violation" of the airline's rules?
Originally Posted by pvn
Dude, you threatened to kill an animal for simply being outside of its carrier.
I threatened to kill an animal if it caused significant distress to my wife. I was responding to a poster who said he doesn't use the ESA scam to transport his cat, but does let it out of its carrier, which is a violation of the rules. I don't care if you juggle cats on-board. The problem isn't the cat, but the distress it causes my wife. Maybe other people are not protective of their spouse. I am.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by PTravel
I threatened to kill an animal if it caused significant distress to my wife. [...] Maybe other people are not protective of their spouse. I am.
Maybe other people would try to find some intermediate remedy between your spouse facing significant distress and the premeditated* killing of a sentient animal even if it is non-human.

*since you seem to have put a lot of thought into this and have repeatedly cited it as your contingency plan
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
I threatened to kill an animal if it caused significant distress to my wife. I was responding to a poster who said he doesn't use the ESA scam to transport his cat, but does let it out of its carrier, which is a violation of the rules. I don't care if you juggle cats on-board. The problem isn't the cat, but the distress it causes my wife. Maybe other people are not protective of their spouse. I am.
I despise animals in the cabin too, but this is way overboard.

We can argue and lobby all day for favoring one policy over another regarding animals, but threatening to kill an animal is crossing a line.

Remember that there is no protected right to fly... At the end of the day if you're so upset about a policy that you're willing to resort to killing an animal, you absolutely should not be flying.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Maybe other people would try to find some intermediate remedy between your spouse facing significant distress and the premeditated* killing of a sentient animal even if it is non-human.

*since you seem to have put a lot of thought into this and have repeatedly cited it as your contingency plan
It is not my "contingency plan" and, of course I would try other remedies. Please remember that I said this in response to a poster who called my wife's very real phobia "ridiculous." Since this poster clearly doesn't care what distress he causes my wife, he merits the response that I gave.

Originally Posted by kb9522
Remember that there is no protected right to fly... At the end of the day if you're so upset about a policy that you're willing to resort to killing an animal, you absolutely should not be flying.
Once again, I don't object to animals in the cabin, and I don't object to the policy regarding pets, I object to the poster who feels he's entitled to an exemption from the policy, even though it would cause my wife great distress.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
All signs point to you being a sociopath. Please seek help. Maybe they can provide you an ESA.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/2.2MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
You are correct about the ADA covering legitimate service animals only.

However airlines are instead bound by the ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act) https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/disability and in particular (regarding service animals and ESAs) here https://www.transportation.gov/sites...20030509_2.pdf.

They do not have a choice in whether to accept documented ESAs.
Thanks for the info. Helps to clarify things. It also helps to understand what MY rights are as someone who does not use an ESA.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:58 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I threatened to kill an animal if it caused significant distress to my wife.
here's what you actually wrote

As I said, if the cat comes out, you can send me a bill for a replacement cat.
You don't think you have any responsibility to look for an alternate resolution, you have a right to fully escalate all the way to get what you want without thinking about anyone else.

FAs would be more than happy to reseat you and your wife in another part of the plane away from the cat.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

I object to the poster who feels he's entitled to an exemption from the policy, even though it would cause my wife great distress.
This is pretty rich considering that you feel you're exempt from pretty much every social norm that civilized people abide by.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
here's what you actually wrote

You don't think you have any responsibility to look for an alternate resolution, you have a right to fully escalate all the way to get what you want without thinking about anyone else.

FAs would be more than happy to reseat you and your wife in another part of the plane away from the cat.
First, like so many on FT, you seem to have a problem with context. Second, I would expect the FA to tell the poster to whom I was responding to follow the rules and keep the animal inside the carrier, as he is required to do.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:06 pm

I said I let the cat stick it's head out of the carrier at the *Gate* and maybe let it out but not for long. I might open the carrier to pet it on the plane. Show me where I said I would let it out of the carrier except for a few minutes and where did I say I would take it out of the carrier on the plane? Threatening to kill an animal because it causes some discomfort to your wife is despicable. What blows me away is that you don't even deny threatening someone's pet.

Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I will sometimes open the carrier to pet my cat, but I won't let them out on the plane. I once did that in the airport with a cat I didn't think would run away. Just let her head out of the carrier.
Here's my quote. Show me where I said I would let the cat out of it's carrier, either at the gate or on the plane?

Last edited by zitsky; Jun 13, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:08 pm
pvn
Suspended

First, like so many on FT, you seem to have a problem with context.
You mean I read what you actually wrote instead of what you imagined you wrote?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
You mean I read what you actually wrote instead of what you imagined you wrote?
No. I mean you took what I wrote out of context and then imputed meaning that wasn't there.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:31 pm

I threatened to kill an animal
Maybe you can explain the context of this statement... I know, you're protecting your wife. That gives you the right to take any action you deem necessary. If you really are a lawyer, you should know better.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Maybe you can explain the context of this statement... I know, you're protecting your wife. That gives you the right to take any action you deem necessary. If you really are a lawyer, you should know better.
You have dismissed my wife's very real response as "ridiculous," and then announced that you'll let your cat pop its head out of its carrier in-flight, in violation of the carrier's policy, and without regard of the impact it has on my wife. You are the last person to lecture me about what I should know better.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:58 pm

You have dismissed my wife's very real response as "ridiculous," and then announced that you'll let your cat pop its head out of its carrier in-flight, in violation of the carrier's policy, and without regard of the impact it has on my wife. You are the last person to lecture me about what I should know better.
You just can't read, can you?

I will sometimes open the carrier to pet my cat, but I won't let them out on the plane. I once did that in the airport with a cat I didn't think would run away. Just let her head out of the carrier.
I guess you can't handle people who have a different opinion than you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.