Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
I have the DL Platinum Amex and I don't plan on renewing since the program has been devalued and the annual fee is going up If they want me to get the card, rather than advertising on bags they should make the product be worth what they charge
Yep, I just downgraded to the Gold Delta card
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by kmovies
--- Having "Harvey Ford" on your license plate.
On every car deal I've ever made, new or used, I include one stipulation: No dealer advertising on my car, unless they want to pay me $100 a month for the privilege.

So far, not one dealer has taken me up on my generous offer, nor even attempted to haggle my price down! A couple have told me, "Well, we've already applied the decal/license frame/whatever."

"Get it off, unless you're paying me to advertise. Otherwise I'm not taking the car."

Amazing how motivated they get when a sale is on the line. I almost felt bad for the poor guy out there with a heat gun and fishing line getting that crappy plastic emblem off the paint, but hey, it was the dealer's choice to deface it in the first place.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Arrived in SEA this afternoon. Got in at the B gates (first time ever, as I always have arrived at the S gates before on my last 10+ flights to SEA)

Total time from aircraft door open to start of bag delivery at the carousel : 17 minutes

Number of Amex advertisement tags on my bag : 0

Estimated Kettle bags spit out before the first Priority bag: too many to count
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Often1
This is why the silly FT habit of concocting analogies, doesn't work. It's not analogous, it doesn't work and it doesn't matter. Other than that, it's great.
That is an unsupported conclusion. Can you please explain why it doesn't work? You can't or you would have. It works exactly, which you proved by being unable to explain why it doesn't work. It's the exact same thing.

I can say grass isn't green. That's very different from being able to explain why grass isn't green.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 26, 2014 at 3:58 am
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RollsRoyceAndy
Just like you get your bags off of a conveyor belt they are placed on one down in the handling area. I couple of well trained monkeys sitting at the end of the belt before it goes to the carousel could attach the tags as the bags go by. total time lost in the transaction from moving bags from the baggage train to the belt to the carousel is ZERO seconds.

Some people need to work on critical thinking. The act of tagging the bags does not in any way affect the delivery of the bags. That said the speed of the less motivated ramp rats could easily explain the lost time. Place blame where it lies.
The problem is that the employees (or well trained monkeys) who are placing the advertisements on bags could otherwise be doing something useful, such as helping to get the bags out, during this time. One employee assigned to ad duty means one fewer ramper helping to get the bags to the belt.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:59 am
Suspended

Exclamation

Originally Posted by corbetti
I wouldn't. I'm just going to start putting stickers for American Airlines and United Airlines in the cabin next to my seats, in the lavatories, or maybe just their latest inflight magazines (Hemispheres, American Way) in the seatback pockets whenever I'm on a delta flight.

Let's see how long it takes for them to notice?

A little guerrilla marketing of my own :-)
You would have a probable mischief charge. Maybe worse.

Of course delta should receive a formal complaint for tagging bags this way. They must be crossing some sort of legal line here
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:35 am

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but why not send them the bill for the advertising space - I net you THEY would if you tried that stunt on them.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by corbetti
I wouldn't. I'm just going to start putting stickers for American Airlines and United Airlines in the cabin next to my seats, in the lavatories, or maybe just their latest inflight magazines (Hemispheres, American Way) in the seatback pockets whenever I'm on a delta flight.

Let's see how long it takes for them to notice?

A little guerrilla marketing of my own :-)
^
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:54 am
k2

Originally Posted by Often1
Regretably, you don't understand.
Thankfully I'm not alone.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Put some sticker advertisements on a check in kiosk in return? Or a Vote Quimby! bumper sticker?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:21 am
Suspended

And this is different from:

--- Eating from a movie theatre popcorn bag advertising the next big movie or Best Buy
--- Getting your Master Card bill with inserts from Geico, 1-800 flowers, and HSN
--- USA Today with a Dell insert that you throw out
--- The 100 e-mails you delete today until you got to the 1 e-mail you really wanted
--- Proudly walking around the locker room in your Jockey underwear with Jockey written 6 times on the waistband
--- Searching for information on Universal Studios and then seeing a ads for Universal Studios on the next 47 pages your surf.
--- Having Netflix recommend you rent "Frozen" - which is ironic since you just just returned in a couple of days ago.
--- Having "Harvey Ford" on your license plate.

Just pull the two tags off your bag at the same time, doesn't take too much more effort.
I was heading to this myself, its the same with the junk thats placed under the wiper on my car. The Exception is none of the items listed above causes me to wait longer to get the item I wanted. With DL it seems the bags are coming out alot later due to having to tag them 1st with the Amex junk
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by craz
I was heading to this myself, its the same with the junk thats placed under the wiper on my car. The Exception is none of the items listed above causes me to wait longer to get the item I wanted. With DL it seems the bags are coming out alot later due to having to tag them 1st with the Amex junk
While I agree the bags are likely coming out later because of the ads, it really doesn't matter. The appearance that the bags are delayed because of the ads make placing the ads a boneheaded move for both the advertiser and Delta. Why would an advertiser pay to be blamed for making customers wait for bags? And why would DL take a customer hot spot - waiting for bags - and do anything to make it appear worse? It's amazing that paid professionals at both DL and AmEx are this deaf.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
And this is different from:

--- Having Netflix recommend you rent "Frozen" - which is ironic since you just just returned in a couple of days ago.
How does one return a streaming video? I just shut it off.

If implemented carefully, this would have been good marketing. Instead, Delta ticked off its customers.

Harvard Business School case study, coming up!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The appearance that the bags are delayed because of the ads make placing the ads a boneheaded move for both the advertiser and Delta...

...It's amazing that paid professionals at both DL and AmEx are this deaf.
Yup and yup!!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Let's see....televison, smartphone/cellphone, tablet...the list is pretty much endless.
The difference is that the advertising is there prior to your purchase, meaning that you know that the advertising is there at the time of purchase. That's a lot different than someone slapping advertising on my personal property after the fact. At that point, it's my property.

To affix advertising to someone's personal (already-owned) property is a bit aggressive. Aside from someone putting fliers on a car's windshield, I can't think of another example. Not that there aren't, but I'm sure most would find that just as aggressive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.