Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
What airline is AK again?
http://www.airlinecodes.info/airline-code-ak

AirAsia
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn
Hey Folks,
I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this happen to them yet. My bag dropped about 40 minutes after my flight arrived. I think I've figured out why! They took the time to tag EVERY bag with an advertisement for AMEX. Not just the regular bags, but also the Sky Priority bags that obviously were not paid checked bags.

Here's the deal, I guess I wouldn't have had too much of an issue had the bags dropped in 20 minutes, or if they were more targeted... but with the devaluation of the loyalty programs, and a total lack of responsiveness over the last months to $$$ producing pax complaints, they can keep their advertising off my bag!

Here's my post to their facebook wall. I start out saying I am going to be calm, but you can see that got away from me a little towards the end.

Agree, disagree, flame, slow-clap... reply how ever you want.

"Hello Delta. I'd like to calmly let you know that I am very, VERY mad about your attaching advertising to my checked bag on my flight to SEA tonight. First, last year Delta begins to devlaue the SkyMiles medallion program. Then, free products in the SkyClubs are no longer free. Then, the MQD's roll in. As if that wasn't enough, we have a new revenue based model coming soon, without a commitment to have the same or greater seats at the lowest, not just lower, level for reward flying. Let's not also forget the SkyClub devaluation program from the begining of the year. FURTHER, the FCM/FMC program that is leaving fewer and fewer seats for Diamond Medallion's to be upgraded. (My flight tonight went from 13 open in first to 0, and I have both Diamond and AMEX RSRV!)... So, until we start seeing a recommitment to loyalty, STOP PUTTING YOUR ADVERTISING ON MY BAG. Do we have an understanding!?!?!?!?"

B
Well, I somehow think you should have skipped the part about calmly letting them know since you then proceeded to SCREAM at them and have a hissy fit about not getting an upgrade.

Calm does not include SHOUTS or !?!?!?! LOL!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Similar to your experience, I hardly encounter FAs actively pushing credit card applications. But in the video announcements, all the time.

From an advertising standpoint, I think what's a bit different here is someone attaching an advertisement to one's physical personal belongings. To use one of your examples, would you like someone tagging your Jockey underwear in the locker room?
Really? I want to be on these flights because 100% of flights I am on they push the Amex cards
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Many years ago I worked at a company that sent out a huge volume of solicitations accompanied by postage-paid envelopes. Occasionally someone would apparently get irritated and take one of those envelopes, stuff it full of as much junk as they could, and mail it back to us.
I still do that when the mood strikes !!!!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
How do you know the bags were tagged at SEA before off-loading them onto the baggage claim belt? It could be that the bags being delayed had nothing to do with the tagging of bags for advertisments.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
They should tag them at the point where a baggage fee is paid so people don't get them if they don't have to pay a baggage fee.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:27 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Odd to do this at SEA where they are in a war with AS, and already so heavily disadvantaged in the metric of "time to get bags to carousel."

Originally Posted by kmovies
And this is different from:
--- Having "Harvey Ford" on your license plate.
This is the one that I think is the best example. Every time I buy a car, I instruct the dealership that they are to place no advertising on the car. That includes the license plate frames and, even more obnoxiously, the more permanently affixed logo. Then again, my next purchase will be a Tesla, and I won't have to suffer through the dealership experience.

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Many years ago I worked at a company that sent out a huge volume of solicitations accompanied by postage-paid envelopes. Occasionally someone would apparently get irritated and take one of those envelopes, stuff it full of as much junk as they could, and mail it back to us.
That was me! Oftentimes I would take the inserts from one company and swap them out with the inserts from other companies. Other times I would fill the envelope with random worthless junk that I had sitting around, e.g. office supplies, stickers, news clippings, toenail clippings, etc. (OK, not really toenail clippings, but now that I thought of it...)

Alas, I don't seem to get nearly as much of that mail anymore.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by klashn
How do you know the bags were tagged at SEA before off-loading them onto the baggage claim belt? It could be that the bags being delayed had nothing to do with the tagging of bags for advertisments.
Well, the picture posted is clearly SEA specific...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by andymo99
Oftentimes I would take the inserts from one company and swap them out with the inserts from other companies.
I don't even go to that much trouble. I just seal the postage-paid envelope and drop it in the mail empty. The recipient still has to pay regardless what is in the envelope.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Here comes the DL apologists ....

You know Often, it really DOESN'T matter. The bag is NOT Delta's property and they have NO business putting anything else on the bag then what is necessary to transport the bag safely and securely to it's destination.
Thanks to Seabridge for answering a simple question.

The rest of the conspiracy theorists can rest easy. Doesn't look from the photo as though anybody suffered any harm.

Oh the horror of it all!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Well, the picture posted is clearly SEA specific...
^Good catch!

As to others questioning whether adding the tags was really the cause of the late provision of the luggage... let's separate this into two issues:

1) Whether the tags caused the delay

2) Whether the airline should be putting the tags on the bags in the first place.

I am more focused on 2).

I, for one, am getting tired of DL management trying to commercialize every aspect of my interface with the airline.

(And, for those who have a reflexive urge to post "Then go select another airline", I'll preemptively tell you to go pound sand).

I find this as off-putting as the increasing tendency of any business I choose to deal with deciding that my custom serves as an authorization for them to barrage me with applications to obtain their credit card.

Oh, wait, DL does that too.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn
Alaska, which I think flies as ASA, but I figured I'd go with the state abbreviation.
For future confusion avoidance, the IATA code for Alaska Airlines is AS. I agree it's pretty ridiculous to be waiting for that long so that DL can market credit cards. Not really missing DL with stories like these.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:01 pm

Could be worse - the ad could be IN your bag.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
... I, for one, am getting tired of DL management trying to commercialize every aspect of my interface with the airline. ....
The worst part about "captive" advertising is when they are selling their own product (and AMEX almost counts in this regard).

Hey, Richard. I am on your friggen plane. I obviously know who DL is. You don';t need to put your face in front of me every 5 minutes. Your self advertisement brings nothing, and is annoying.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
^Good catch!

As to others questioning whether adding the tags was really the cause of the late provision of the luggage... let's separate this into two issues:

1) Whether the tags caused the delay

2) Whether the airline should be putting the tags on the bags in the first place.

I am more focused on 2).

I, for one, am getting tired of DL management trying to commercialize every aspect of my interface with the airline.
If my choice was to wait 5 minutes for a bag with an ad or to wait 25 minutes for a bag without, I'll take the ad assuming it's not glued on or anything like that.

Of course I really shouldn't have to make that choice IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.