Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:08 pm
k2

Originally Posted by Often1
...The rest of the conspiracy theorists can rest easy. Doesn't look from the photo as though anybody suffered any harm.

Oh the horror of it all!
Just so I understand, from your perspective a complaint is only valid if the person suffered harm? I think you need to find a new forum.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by motytrah
So DL is trying to knock off AS out of SEA. AS has a 20 minute baggage guarantee. DL's solution is to take 40 minutes and attach ads to the bags. I would expect no less from the boys on Virginia Ave.
It would be priceless to sticker the cars with I <3 AS stickers.

And AS with its 20 min guarantee... Guess DL doesn't have the resources to do something similar. Or DL knows it would cost them millions of miles

If someone had the connections, it would be hilarious to replace the DL inflight magazine with an AS one
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
If my choice was to wait 5 minutes for a bag with an ad or to wait 25 minutes for a bag without, I'll take the ad assuming it's not glued on or anything like that.

Of course I really shouldn't have to make that choice IMO.

25 minutes without ad is preferred over 25 minutes with ad

But I am 100% certain that adding the tags takes time. Unless they defy physics somehow.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Has this happened to anyone else on any other routes yet? Im flying end of this week and was debating just checking my bag for simplicity/liquids sake.....but i dont want it to be majorly delayed so they can advertise....
I end up checking a bag about 90% of my trips (liquids usually being an issue with carry ons). I've never seen this before though granted i've never been to SEA so maybe it's just specific to SEA. Not sure.

My bigger complaint about this would be the time it took to get bags. 40 minutes after landing is not a reasonable time to deliver bags. So not only were the late in delivering bags but they took additional time to attach an advertisement to each bag? That would be my complaint.

In addition to posting on FB, I would send a comment into delta. whether or not you want some skymiles you'll probably get something but I'd at least let DL know that you're not happy with this decision.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Definately a first world problem!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As to others questioning whether adding the tags was really the cause of the late provision of the luggage... let's separate this into two issues:

1) Whether the tags caused the delay

2) Whether the airline should be putting the tags on the bags in the first place.

I am more focused on 2).
I'm more focused on 1). Reason being that simply the appearance of the tags makes one question if the add'l delay in receiving bags was caused by the tagging (as we've seen). That creates a negative impression which at first glance says DL doesn't understand or respect me as a customer.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
They should tag them at the point where a baggage fee is paid so people don't get them if they don't have to pay a baggage fee.
The ad is seen by more folks than the owner of the bag. Delta's also using the owner as an ad mule to parade it past others, and to ones home, or hotel, or office.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
I'm more focused on 1). Reason being that simply the appearance of the tags makes one question if the add'l delay in receiving bags was caused by the tagging (as we've seen). That creates a negative impression which at first glance says DL doesn't understand or respect me as a customer.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I should point out that my selection may have been biased by the fact that I hardly ever check a bag.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Frogbone
But I am 100% certain that adding the tags takes time. Unless they defy physics somehow.
5-10 seconds to add a tag is trivial in the scheme of waiting 20-40 minutes for your bags after gate arrival (typical times in SEA when arriving at S gates).

The OP (and others) is assuming causation of bag tags leading to "late" arrival of checked bags, when in (sad) reality his time estimate is fairly typical and is merely correlation.

Whether this is acceptable behavior is a valid discussion point, but the time it takes to get your bags is a different issue and unrelated to the bag tag.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I honestly would not personally be upset, assuming the additional tag was affixed directly to my original luggage tag and did not cause a delay in the return of baggage.

Having to remove a second tag after every trip would get frustrating.

The point of this particular ad is not to promote the DL Amex to passers by, but to encourage you to sign up so your next bag is free. It's targeted at you, not others.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
5-10 seconds to add a tag is trivial in the scheme of waiting 20-40 minutes for your bags after gate arrival (typical times in SEA when arriving at S gates).
10 seconds per tag X 100 bags would be over 16 minutes. Even only 50 bags would be over 8 minutes. If AS can get the bags out in SEA in 20 minutes and DL takes 40, it is logical to assume that it is taking some extra time to put all those tags on the bags.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Now that I am caught up on the thread, and comfortably sitting in the Alaska Board Room at KSEA for my flight to KGEG, I thought I would chime in.

To those commenting about "first world problems" yeah, I get it, I'm not starving, and I don't have to spend the entire flight standing, or slipping a quarter in the door each time I need the LAV. But that's not the point.

Those of us with discretion on our travel, and who produce a fair amount of revenue to a company expect better. Heck, we expect a little more! Again, taken one at a time, each issue raised would not be as big of a deal, but put it all together, and now you have an issue.

Further, moves like this piss off a lot of HVC's. And with the fight for true HVC's heating up between the airlines, and with the potential influx of available loyal HVC's from the painful merging process over at AA/US, one would think that DAL would want their HVC's encouraging people to join the blue and red team.

But instead, I can promise this, I am telling them to stay away... for now. AS (thanks to a previous poster) has a great product, with generally happy and friendly employees. UAL has an improving product, though you can tell that there is animosity between the employees and those who occupy head offices. Then there's SWA and JetBlue... They fill a niche, and also have a high quality product the way that a Hyatt Place is a high quality mid level brand.

Regardless of the folks who believe this is hyped up whining... This cannot be a good business call. Because if there is one thing you want to do, it is remind people that they pay for bags on your airline, when the competition is shouting that they don't!!!

Also, the comment about not shouting on my FB post. Yeah, I got shout-y at the end. Calm posts don't seem to be getting any response lately.

One last funny, I'd love to put #SWALUV stickers over the top of the back side of the Bags Fly Free tag that DAL is putting on in SEA... at least there it doesn't take a credit card!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
10 seconds per tag X 100 bags would be over 16 minutes. Even only 50 bags would be over 8 minutes. If AS can get the bags out in SEA in 20 minutes and DL takes 40, it is logical to assume that it is taking some extra time to put all those tags on the bags.
Your math is more likely correct as the tags are not the best assemble and take effort to attach and remove without ripping.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:45 pm

Any picture of the advertisement?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
turnabout is fair play

Originally Posted by JulienMSP
I would take offense to having advertising placed on my personal belongings without my consent.
I wouldn't. I'm just going to start putting stickers for American Airlines and United Airlines in the cabin next to my seats, in the lavatories, or maybe just their latest inflight magazines (Hemispheres, American Way) in the seatback pockets whenever I'm on a delta flight.

Let's see how long it takes for them to notice?

A little guerrilla marketing of my own :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.