Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe if the concourse AmEx hawkers are repurposed to apply the ads to checked bags, some of us might view this policy as a win. But I doubt that they have the requisite transferable job skills.
In that case, have the hawkers yell "you can get 30k SkyPesos" at the bags as the handlers place them on the carousel. @:-)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Free advertising?

Relax, I'm sure they got paid.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
much ado about nothing.....in the grander scheme of things
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by allanak
They practically already have this, don't they? Just about every flight I have out of LAX there's a few people telling passersby they can get 30k skypesos for signing up.
Originally Posted by Frogbone
^^This^^

I'm really getting tired of constantly being accosted by these jerks.
Originally Posted by Howste
I suddenly find something on the opposite side of the concourse very interesting as I walk by them...
I offer to take out my laptop and hang around so that I can show their next target just how hard it is going to be to use those 30,000 miles.

Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by stencil
No, flyertalk, my web browser is NOT for free advertising.

That is why ad blockers exist. I haven't seen an ad on FT in years.

Good thing too. Not sure my digestive processes could survive the juxtaposition of ads touting the glories of the SkyMile program and the realities recorded here.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
OP - I would have emphasized the 40 minute delay so they could slap (stickers, flyers, whatever) on the bags. The thing that really ticked you off was the delay, and you didn't even mention it.

What physical format was the advertising, was it easy to remove?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
No, California, my highway is NOT for free advertising.
I am sure you could have an ad free highway should you be willing to pay more in tax (whether petrol, sales, or income tax, or tolls.)
I do not mind these ads in particular because I pay more attention to the road when driving than the billboards...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by janetdoe
OP - I would have emphasized the 40 minute delay so they could slap (stickers, flyers, whatever) on the bags. The thing that really ticked you off was the delay, and you didn't even mention it.

What physical format was the advertising, was it easy to remove?
I suggest you read the thread and you might find pictures as well....
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
If the ad doesn't make you stop flying DL or cancelling an AMEX, then it is a win for the revenue it achieves for those businesses.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Lightbulb It matters... in the grand scheme of things

For those who are poo-pooing the thread, it does matter.

Does a little tag, hanging on my luggage handle matter? Will I suffer a life ending hit, or career disabling incident because of it? God, I hope not. Is it right for them to do it... I'd say no, but that is a topic of debate where the personal property folks have the upper hand.

At issue is that this, when combined with all of the other moves at Delta are one more step too far.

Last year, I flew on one reward ticket, but logged more than 155,000 MQM's with my bonus (Flew 125,000+ with a few roll over miles and the AMEX bump, all domestic miles, and many on CRJ-200's over 500 miles). Most of my tickets are booked within two to three weeks of departure, and often at a premium.

That is all not to have DYKWIA moment. Instead it is to show that I am not some E fare flying, low ticket price paying, give it all to me because you owe me complainer. I, and my company, invest a great deal of money in our relationship with Delta on an annual basis. I am not the only Delta PM/DM at our company, many of which fly the high cost international routes, including some booking the BE seats TPAC and TATL. We are all up for grabs now, especially with our head office being in Toronto.

Delta, I say this to you. You are NOT the biggest any more (US/AA), you are NOT the most innovative anymore (JB, SWA), and the quality of the product is suffering with dirty planes at the gate, yellowing interiors of the pusher planes you keep purchasing from upgrading airlines, are not good at getting bags to the gate in many cases (AS kicks butt in this department), and the grouchy nature of not all, but many of your FA's. (Let me say this before I get flamed, or though ill of by all FA's. There are AWESOME FA's on many flights, NYC's and SLC crews tend to be my favorites, but the bad ones are REALLY bad) The high quality of your frequent flier programs was the glue holding us all together. Unfortunately, it would seem that you can't see this any more.

There's always the question of whether Delta listens to it's HVC's, MVC's, or any customer at all. I hope that they don't. Because, if they do, it means they ignore the feedback.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn
At issue is that this, when combined with all of the other moves at Delta are one more step too far.
This is what I see too. Unfortunately I expect we will see more of this...in order for the stock price to continue to rise in the short/medium term, they have to increase their financial situation from where it is now (and expected to be in terms of the market pricing in future actions). After you get the lower hanging fruit, it becomes harder and harder to get increasing margins and revenue (e.g. the initial large bump from, say, charging for checked luggage, won't recur, and it's harder to get increasingly marginal sources of revenue).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
This is what I see too. Unfortunately I expect we will see more of this...in order for the stock price to continue to rise in the short/medium term, they have to increase their financial situation from where it is now (and expected to be in terms of the market pricing in future actions). After you get the lower hanging fruit, it becomes harder and harder to get increasing margins and revenue (e.g. the initial large bump from, say, charging for checked luggage, won't recur, and it's harder to get increasingly marginal sources of revenue).
They could put a useful website behind a paywall...

Delta.dumb for free; Delta.functional for $4.99 per month, discounted if paid with AX.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Originally Posted by Sabai

Delta.dumb for free; Delta.functional for $4.99 per month, discounted if paid with AX.
I sure hope that is a tongue in cheek suggestion.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Sabai

Or bypass this with a GDS (though not useful for award booking, which is the main problem, and it also doesn`t solve agent incompetence.)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
No, flyertalk, my web browser is NOT for free advertising.

No, California, my highway is NOT for free advertising.

No, Google, my inbox is NOT for free advertising.

No, taxi commission, my taxis are NOT for free advertising.
The owner gets paid for the advertising in each of those cases. Your use of the word "my" does not mean ownership.

(Unless you own a taxi fleet, in which case you would get paid for the ads on your taxis.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.