Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by terryb99
^^^^^^^^^ This!!

Absolutely unbelievable that so much anger over something that will take you 2 seconds to tear off.

IF it is determined that tagging bags is delaying them getting to the carousel, THEN there might be a valid concern.

Otherwise..lighten up guys!

People do not PAY to check a bag to have Delta place self-serving advertising on it.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:24 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
So how is this different than putting on the Medallion luggage tags - which have no personal info which would make them useful if the bag was lost?

It advertises Delta to the world and serves no useful purpose other than letting kettles know you are a diamond - assuming they know what that means.

In the 30's people wore sandwich boards (I've seen it in old movies) and now some hold up signs at intersections but are paid. Today people pay to buy a piece of clothing (Nike, Harley Davidson, Gucci, Bo and Edna's Surf Shop and topless bar, etc.) then wear it without compensation.

If DL made this something that was only available to GM and above it then this discussion would have a different slant.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by puddinhead
So how is this different than putting on the Medallion luggage tags - which have no personal info which would make them useful if the bag was lost?
I don't put the Medallion tag on my bag, either. It's in an outside pocket, but I see no need to hang it on my bag because it has not use.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Idiot move by some fresh MBA intern or new hire, and even dumber move by their manager to approve the idea.

First get all the priority bags out at the head of the line. Then get all the remaining bags out in a reasonable amount of time. Then, if you want to advertise, print it on the bag tag itself as others have suggested. Or have the ticket counter agent tag it as you drop off the bag, since they're already required to touch it. And the campaign is much less stealthy, and would give the customer the right to opt-out of the advertising.

Given that this was targeted at SEA arrivals only, it's a pretty classless move when their chief competition has a bag delivery guarantee that is half the time of most Delta bag deliveries.

This seems like a move out of the EasyJet or Ryanair playbook, and goes completely in contrast with the vibe that Delta is trying to present about being a better airline, refining their service levels, and climbing "up". They'd get more mileage out of inserting an Amex ad in the in-flight video instead of playing a Delta "up" advertisement twice. Or, they could create a new safety video where the person needs to borrow a pen from the FA to fill out an Amex application instead of needing help with the Rubik's Cube (or quantum mechanics from the previous safety video).

Delta, you've been doing very well operationally. But crap like this from the marketing side is just boneheaded, and smears the image that your operations and front-line folks have built over the past couple of years.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:26 pm

^^^^^^^^^ This!!

Absolutely unbelievable that so much anger over something that will take you 2 seconds to tear off.

IF it is determined that tagging bags is delaying them getting to the carousel, THEN there might be a valid concern.

Otherwise..lighten up guys!
Go back and read post #1. Wait, I'll do it for you. Here is the important part:

Originally Posted by OP
My bag dropped about 40 minutes after my flight arrived. I think I've figured out why!
That is unsatisfactory.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
Think you missed the part where I said "that you can tear off in 2 seconds"

Little different than putting an ad on my car.

Yes, the more accurate analogy would be: Every time you park your car in a parking lot, the related business puts an advert under your wiper to get their charge card or membership card, etc.

And to extend the analogy, it's like there's a valet service with no self parking... and it takes you 40 minutes after leaving the store to get your car, because the valet staff is busy placing the adverts.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by dadamn
Yes, the more accurate analogy would be: Every time you park your car in a parking lot, the related business puts an advert under your wiper to get their charge card or membership card, etc.

And to extend the analogy, it's like there's a valet service with no self parking... and it takes you 40 minutes after leaving the store to get your car, because the valet staff is busy placing the adverts.
This is the one time I find littering somewhat acceptable, as it sends a message.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn
I don't want anything other than the checked bag tag and the little yellow and black bar that says I shouldn't be waiting too long for my bag.
Originally Posted by Frogbone
. . . . . it is MY property and unless I authorize you I don't want you to put anything on it or do anything to it.

When I check the bag I authorize you to put a bag tag on it as it is required to deliver my bag to the destination. That's where it ends. We have no contract that allows you to use my property for advertisement purposes, however minute they are. It offends me that you (Delta) think you can just go ahead and do that.
I hope you had the TAs & SkyCaps sign your contract before you hand the bag over to them.

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
. . . . .Occasionally someone would apparently get irritated and take one of those envelopes, stuff it full of as much junk as they could, and mail it back to us.
Originally Posted by pbjag
Maybe FTers should collect a number of these and tie them to car bumpers in the employee parking lot on Virginia Avenue
Perhaps, someone should pick up a bunch of them on the floor at SEA and stuff'em in a Amex envelope and mail it in . . . with a note that reads: "Found ON FLOOR at Seattle Delta baggage carousel"!

Originally Posted by CJKatl
So under your reasoning, it would be fine if the Captain stopped and said, "Folks, we are going to sit here for ten minutes, <snip>. I'm going to tell you about the American Express card."
The FAs would NEVER stand for that! It would cut into their commission!!!

Further, moves like this piss off a lot of HVC's.
As a DM with a known Customer Value Score of "0" - ZERO, I think the "new" HVC of today to DL - isn't who you think . . . . It's those who pay, PAY, PAY! - - Bags fees, award fees, EconomyComfort fees, SDC fees, yada yada . . .

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Having to remove a second tag after every trip would get frustrating.
Wow! I wish I had such an easy life that this is all it takes to frustrate you!

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
To those who don't think this is a big deal, if you took your car in for an oil change, and the oil change place slapped a bumper sticker on it advertising their services, would you be OK with that?
A bumper sticker would be very difficult to remove without rubbing compound or similar, which is quite different from these tags. HOWEVER, don't they normally put paper floor mats in your car with oil company ads on them?

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Also because it would be done upfront when you check the bag, avoiding even the appearance of slowing down the process at the end when everyone is waiting for the bags to be delivered.
I'm quite certain that if they put the Amex tags on at the check-in counter, FlyerTalk would be buzzing about how long and slow the lines are!

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I offer to take out my laptop and hang around so that I can show their next target just how hard it is going to be to use those 30,000 miles.

I'm SURE your demonstration shows the next target how simply EASY it is to spend 30,000 miles! Just show them a 370,000 mile award ticket to Europe! Perhaps you meant to say, that you show them how hard it is to spend ONLY 30,000 miles!!!

My take: It's a bunch of baloney, not really worth wasting a breath on. To those who are hyped up on calling their attorneys to sue DL for using their bags for free advertising - best of luck to you. There's probably some minute, hidden clause in the CoC that allows it. If there isn't - - there will be soon, after they read this thread.

Also, I guess you're all OK with DL raising ticket prices proportionally to offset the loss of $$$ that Amex pays them to put the tags on.

@:-) Here's an idea!!! @:-)

Put the Amex bag tags on ALL gate checked bags - AT THE GATE! That way, it'll encourage people to get the card to check bags for free, who otherwise try to take the kitchen sink on board!!!

Bottom line: Apparently, SEA arriving bags aren't managed properly, and are way too slow. This is something that particularly, SEA originating pax should gripe about.

But, HERE'S the kicker! Delta, your NUMBER ONE fan, booster, and loyal, beloved STOCKHOLDER also agrees that this is a bad idea!!! . . . . .

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I actually TOTALLY agree with the OP.
Thanx for readin'!

DT
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
^^ Dave has an answer for everything, doesn't he?

Puddinhead....So how is this different than putting on the Medallion luggage tags - which have no personal info which would make them useful if the bag was lost?

It advertises Delta to the world and serves no useful purpose other than letting kettles know you are a diamond - assuming they know what that means.

In the 30's people wore sandwich boards (I've seen it in old movies) and now some hold up signs at intersections but are paid. Today people pay to buy a piece of clothing (Nike, Harley Davidson, Gucci, Bo and Edna's Surf Shop and topless bar, etc.) then wear it without compensation.

If DL made this something that was only available to GM and above it then this discussion would have a different slant.
The difference is that I am putting MY OWN tag on MY OWN bag.

Let me ask you this puddinhead: What if someone various cab companies or rental car places wait at the carousel right where the bags come out and put their tags on your bag? Would you just stand there and wait until they are done or would you tell them to knock it off? I think we all know the answer to that !
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davetravels
My take: It's a bunch of baloney, not really worth wasting a breath on.

DT
That's a long breath for not being worth one....
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by davetravels
A bumper sticker would be very difficult to remove without rubbing compound or similar, which is quite different from these tags. HOWEVER, don't they normally put paper floor mats in your car with oil company ads on them?

I'm SURE your demonstration shows the next target how simply EASY it is to spend 30,000 miles! Just show them a 370,000 mile award ticket to Europe! Perhaps you meant to say, that you show them how hard it is to spend ONLY 30,000 miles!!!

Item 1... Use WD-40 to remove most any adhesive

Item 2... Touche, you are spot on.

Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Hey Folks,
My bag dropped about 40 minutes after my flight arrived.
So with the Amex tag your bag arrives on the carousel in zone 1
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about someone just stand with a pair of scissors at the bottom of the carousel luggage-dump and cut the advertising tags off every bag as soon as they hit the belt?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
45 minutes from time I walked off plane until any bags were coming up the carasel yesterday. Came in on 7:57pm Delta DTW - SEA flight. Every bag even those with sky priority yellow tags had the amex advertisements. This is ridiculous and I will be emailing a complaint tomorrow once I have time to write one. I also want to see what happens on 2237 that i am currently awaiting departure on to HNL from SEA.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Operations management literature says otherwise. ANY additional activity requires additional time absent a change in the process - in the case of ADDING an advert, its more time. Either you pay for extra time (add an employee) or you take time from something else (loading the belt) ... its OM.
Certainly true, but what if Amex is paying for the labor? In other words, the choice is, say, three DL employees moving bags and one Amex employee "tagging" bags or three DL employees moving bags no Amex employee doing anything?

In that case, it's possible that this only adds a negligible amount of time, if any at all.

That said, I agree with the posters who said that even the perception that it would is stupid marketing. As is calling attention to the fact that you're paying for your bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.