Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Delta, my bag is NOT for free advertising - SEA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

New TV Show: "The Bag Handler"

Host: YOU HAVE BEEN BAGGED!
Handler: not so fast, I was tagging you!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by kmovies
And it could add no time to luggage handling. maybe they are placed on the belt and then a tag added while it is on the belt, so no time added. or maybe they did line up the bags along the runaway and had a senior citizen add each tag one by one, and then after 35 minutes, the bags were rushed.

Actually, no big deal, but interesting topic. And I haven't heard the credit card pitches on the planes lately. Once in a while, yes. Probably 1% of the FAs really push them and the other 99% don't. So, with 5 FAs on a flight, might get the pitch 5% of the time. I know, some will say that it happens on every flight, and maybe I am lucky, but advertising is everywhere.

TV program - 60 minutes - less 17 mintues of ads = 43 minutes, then they have the station logo on the right hand corner of the program. Then there is product placment during the show, then there are teasers that cover 20% of the program advertising what's on next week or there new show coming in 2 weeks.

Take the tag off the bag, go home, relax. Fly next week, get another tag, take off bag, go home, relax, repeat.
Similar to your experience, I hardly encounter FAs actively pushing credit card applications. But in the video announcements, all the time.

From an advertising standpoint, I think what's a bit different here is someone attaching an advertisement to one's physical personal belongings. To use one of your examples, would you like someone tagging your Jockey underwear in the locker room?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by motytrah
So DL is trying to knock off AS out of SEA. AS has a 20 minute baggage guarantee. DL's solution is to take 40 minutes and attach ads to the bags. I would expect no less from the boys on Virginia Ave.
I really don't have a problem with the tags themselves, as tacky as it may be, but DL's bag handling from the S terminal is an issue. I've had AS flights, seated in F, arriving in A, where my checked bag still beat me. DL? Last guy off a 757 is probably waiting 10-15 minutes, even after making a bathroom stop and riding around in the train for a while. 5 seconds tacked onto the 30+ minutes is not an issue, the 30+ minutes is.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:50 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Next thing you know, bloggers will start going to baggage carousels and handing out referral links.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: United, Delta, American
I guess Delta wants to pound us over the head. First it is the flight attendant pitching the credit card an hour before arrival, now it is the advertisement on the bag.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Originally Posted by Seat1A
wow, you had a great point to make, ranted for that long, and never got to the great point.

you mentioned everything else, but never got to the fact that it took 40 minutes to deliver the bag. you were really really irritated because the bag was slow, and the apparent reason why was obnoxious. and you ranted about everything but that......
What I stressed, perhaps not very well, was that h=I may have been more tolerant of all of the rest had the bag not dropped so late. That was the over the top issue once I realized that was likely the reason for the bag delays.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by kmovies
And it could add no time to luggage handling. maybe they are placed on the belt and then a tag added while it is on the belt, so no time added.
I had an oversize bag and the tag was already on it when the ramper delivered it to the oversize door. I'm guessing the tags go on as the bags are scanned.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Wow, a lot of interesting replies, and not all that I agree with, but that's OK.

A few follow up items:

Yes, the LONG wait for bags at KSEA is ridiculous! But, somewhat expected as Delta climbs higher on an inverted ladder.

The tag is posted on a previous post in this thread for that guy who was insistent on seeing the offending tag.

Is it a big deal all on its own? That's open for debate. It is annoying, and not appreciated, but just annoying. I fall on the "not cool man" side as it was tagged on my personal bag, has a bar-code (baggage system confusion? Maybe, maybe not). I don't want anything other than the checked bag tag and the little yellow and black bar that says I shouldn't be waiting too long for my bag.

For those who say it's just DYKWIA complaining, and I'm bitter about not getting a "free upgrade". Let's be very clear, there is NO free lunch. I pay with selecting flights on Delta vs. AK to get the upgrade. I invest time and money in choosing DAL, even though it is not always the cheapest or most convenient. So yeah, I'm going to complain. You are on a Flyer talk board... IT'S 96% of the POSTS!!! Get over it yourself!

The real lesson here is that Delta continues to piss off passengers of all spend levels. With AA/US combining into a service blackhole for at least 3 years as they merge the two airlines, and UA still run by Jeffy, what incentive do they have to turn it around? NONE.

I'm a DM, 155,000 MQM's last year, (All domestic hard miles), tickets typically purchased only 2 weeks in advance ($$), AMEX Reserve, and a part of every partner program they have... I'm putting money in the pot so to speak.

And after having sent in emails, facebook posts, Twitter messages, and every other method the DM desk says they listen too, I only get copy-paste or slightly modified stock corporate message responses. I'm done with it. If UA offers a DM match, I'm taking it. Even if it means I'm rolling back in a few areas, I am entirely sick of the path that Mr. Anderson and his crew have this airline on, and the only way to get it noticed is to vote with my wallet. I encourage all of those who care about competition to do the same, and be very clear about the intent of your actions!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Credit card ads on the plane, from FAs and now on your luggage sounds horrible. Sorry you guys have to deal with this...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What's a checked bag?
Excellent, best laugh I've had in a while.

But now people in the lounge are staring.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by HongKonger
In HKG the close button actually closes the elevator door.
In Soviet Russia, the door closes you.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
In Soviet Russia, the door closes you.
Or communist China.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn
Wow, a lot of interesting replies, and not all that I agree with, but that's OK.

A few follow up items:

Yes, the LONG wait for bags at KSEA is ridiculous! But, somewhat expected as Delta climbs higher on an inverted ladder.

The tag is posted on a previous post in this thread for that guy who was insistent on seeing the offending tag.

Is it a big deal all on its own? That's open for debate. It is annoying, and not appreciated, but just annoying. I fall on the "not cool man" side as it was tagged on my personal bag, has a bar-code (baggage system confusion? Maybe, maybe not). I don't want anything other than the checked bag tag and the little yellow and black bar that says I shouldn't be waiting too long for my bag.

For those who say it's just DYKWIA complaining, and I'm bitter about not getting a "free upgrade". Let's be very clear, there is NO free lunch. I pay with selecting flights on Delta vs. AK to get the upgrade. I invest time and money in choosing DAL, even though it is not always the cheapest or most convenient. So yeah, I'm going to complain. You are on a Flyer talk board... IT'S 96% of the POSTS!!! Get over it yourself!

The real lesson here is that Delta continues to piss off passengers of all spend levels. With AA/US combining into a service blackhole for at least 3 years as they merge the two airlines, and UA still run by Jeffy, what incentive do they have to turn it around? NONE.

I'm a DM, 155,000 MQM's last year, (All domestic hard miles), tickets typically purchased only 2 weeks in advance ($$), AMEX Reserve, and a part of every partner program they have... I'm putting money in the pot so to speak.

And after having sent in emails, facebook posts, Twitter messages, and every other method the DM desk says they listen too, I only get copy-paste or slightly modified stock corporate message responses. I'm done with it. If UA offers a DM match, I'm taking it. Even if it means I'm rolling back in a few areas, I am entirely sick of the path that Mr. Anderson and his crew have this airline on, and the only way to get it noticed is to vote with my wallet. I encourage all of those who care about competition to do the same, and be very clear about the intent of your actions!
What airline is AK again?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
From a marketing standpoint, this is a bit invasive/aggressive. I'm trying to think of another example where advertising has been put on my personal property.
Let's see....televison, smartphone/cellphone, tablet...the list is pretty much endless.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
What airline is AK again?
Alaska, which I think flies as ASA, but I figured I'd go with the state abbreviation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.